HELP! Missing channels, Intermittent Signal and no Guide info

Mannydog

Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
I've had a Dish Network system since Nov. but only recently have had a chance to try and troubleshoot the problems we have been having.

We only get about half the channels we should (We have America's Top 200 + local)

The receiver has to acquire a signal on average once a day

And we have no info when I push the Guide button (it says it is collecting data but goes back to the programing after 5-10 seconds - no progress on the bar at the bottom of the pop up window)

I have unplugged, and turned the receiver off with no change.

I checked on the signal strength and got the following:
SAT:
110 119 1 G68 2 R41 G54 4 G51 6 R42 G53 8 G45 G54 10 G52 12 G61 G53 14 R42 G52 16 G46 G54 18 G53 19 R33 20 G51 22 G47 24 G47
R&G = the colors the bars show up, R= Not Locked, G = Locked

We are in Cedntral Washington State (Ellensburg), have NO trees, and a GREAT southern exposure.

I haven't had the time to watch much TV since the install (the family does...) so I only did a rough count on the channels recently, but the acquiring signal situation has been going on since day one.

I am half way technical, but a total newbie when it comes to satellite TV.

I did an on-line chat with Dish today that was worthless.

Is there any way to find out which transponders I should be getting?

Anyone with suggestions on where to go from here?

How many satellites do you have listed in your Check Switch screen?

Regarding signal strength, there are up to 32 transponders on each of the satellite locations you see in the Check Switch screen. When you go to the Point Dish screen to view signal strength, you need to pick a satellite and then run through all the transponders it has. It may take awhile (5-10 seconds) to lock onto each transponder. But thereafter it should say Locked - Echostar 110 (or whichever you picked) across the bottom and then the bar graph of the signal strength.

All my signal strength readings are green for 3 satellites for all transponders that are working. (A few are dead and have zero signal strength.) If your receiver is using the new signal strength meter, all your strengths are good and all should lock. How you can have unlocked transponders with such good signal strength, I don't know!

I just get 110 and 119.

110 had 31 transponders listed, and 119 had 22. I just left out the ones with zero values (meant to mention that in my orig post.

I had another online chat with Dish, and they said a tech needed to come out (for a discounted price of $29).

Also, I hooked up a 2nd receiver that we haven't used yet (no TV for it), but it got less channels than the 1st one.

Does this sound like an aiming issue?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)