Help needed fast dish 522

cl1986

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2004
Looking for what hdd is in the 522, need replacement or upgrade for a unit with bad drive that i can get cheap, only i dont know what drives they use.
Anyone tear thiers apart yet??

cl1986 said:
Looking for what hdd is in the 522, need replacement or upgrade for a unit with bad drive that i can get cheap, only i dont know what drives they use.
Anyone tear thiers apart yet??

CL,

95 percent of all the 522 receivers in the field are leased, meaning if they were opened you would be in violation of your user agreement with Dish.

Since the 522 receivers haven't even been available for much more than one year, 95 percent of them are still under the standard Dish warranty. So its highly unlikely you would need to open it to replace the Hard Drive or find anybody that has or has even tried too.

John

I didn't have to tear mine apart 'and' I answered this question the other day. See your first thread.

Anyway, the point is moot. You can't just drop a new 250Gig HD in a 522 and flip it on.

It has proprietary software/encryption on the drive that you can't copy like you can on a computer hard drive.

Even if you 'could' clone the drive, it would have to be the exact same size and model # since the software checks to see if the HD has been tampered with.

Best bet is the 'hands off' approach.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)