Help Needed on Tri LNB Use with Multiswitch

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jeff123

Original poster
Aug 16, 2004
I just upgraded my system from a dual-lnb dish to a new triple lnb dish to get HD channels. In my previous setup, both coax cables from the dual lnb dish entered my house via 2 existing coax runs to my attic (usually used by local cable provider). That meant I did not have to run any new coax into my house from my dish. Once inside, I had a 4 port multiswitch to hook up my 3 receivers.

Now, the new triple lnb dish has the 4 ports built in so the dish has 4 coax cables that can be run. I don't want to run a whole bunch of new coax into my house so I only connected the first 2 ports on the dish to run into my house. This then fed into the multiswitch and then onto my 3 receivers. The problem is, this didn't work and my HD channels didn't work. After calls with tech support, when I bypassed my old multiswitch, everything worked great. But that just left me with the ability to connect 2 receivers.

My question is, to hook up my 3rd receiver, do I have to run a 3rd coax from the dish into my house, or is there a way to still utilize the multiswitch? The tech support guy said I should be able to use the mutiswitch if it's hooked up right, but didn't know how. Right now I use ports 1 and 2 on the dish. Do I need to use ports 1 and 3 or something to run into my multiswitch? I've seen the 4-8 multiswitches which take all 4 dish connections and turn it into 8 ports. These have the inputs labled 13v-satA, 18v-satA, 13v-satB, and 18v-satB leading me to think maybe I can make this work.

Is there a reason you can't just use the multi-switch that is built in to your triple LNB dish?

You could for instance use the current cables out side and run them to say a grounding block. From the grounding block to your dish ... voila ... connectivity for all 3 sats.

My first option is not to use the multiswitch built into the dish because then I would have to run new coax cable from my dish, down the length of my house, into my attic and to my coax "panel". If I have to I will, but I wanted to try to avoid that by using the 2 pre-existing coax runs.

As far as a grounding block, I'm not quite familiar with what that is.

In the new 3lnb dish you have to use the Multiswitch thats built in there is no way to bypass it. IF you want the 3rd line your going to have to run another cable and if you are going to do that you might as well run the 4th so its done.

With the three LNB setup, you would need to run the coax from the dish straight to the reciever because of the built in multiswitch. Also, you cant have more than 4 recievers connected to that dish.

A grounding block is like a barrel but lets you ground the system. You connect a ground cable/wire from the dish to the ground block, and from the ground block to a ground source. It goes in bettween the dish and reciever and is usually set on the exterior of the house/apt/etc.

http://www.dishstore.net/product_info.php?cPath=32&products_id=88

Jeff123 said:
My first option is not to use the multiswitch built into the dish because then I would have to run new coax cable from my dish, down the length of my house, into my attic and to my coax "panel". If I have to I will, but I wanted to try to avoid that by using the 2 pre-existing coax runs.

As far as a grounding block, I'm not quite familiar with what that is.
Picture this: right now you are (hopefully) going from A to B to C to D

A= Your Dish
B= Grounding block (if these are missing you should add them, it is SIMPLE)
C= Your Current multi-switch(it sounds like this may be inside your home, it is inside or outside?)
D= Your receivers

Assuming your current dish and current multi-switch are OUTSIDE, just remove your existing multi-switch from the scheme ... there is one built into the Phase III dish.

Am I making sense? Plus I guess something none of us considered yet, do you have the right tools? Like the crimper, connector and so on?

First, my current multiswitch is inside my attic. I have 2 of the 4 coaxs running from the dish to my attic, currently.

Second, can you tell me more about the grounding block? I don't think they're there right now (my first dish was professionally installed and may or may not be there right now on my 2 lines).

At this point, it sounds like I should connect 2 more coaxs to my dish and just run them along my house into the attic for distribution. A neighbor of mine has the crimping tools so that isn't a problem.

Jeff123 said:
First, my current multiswitch is inside my attic. I have 2 of the 4 coaxs running from the dish to my attic, currently.
That is a bummer, unless you have one of those nice walk around attics. Thanks for the info

Jeff123 said:
second, can you tell me more about the grounding block? I don't think they're there right now (my first dish was professionally installed and may or may not be there right now on my 2 lines).
A grounding block is a device that should be installed outside and have THHN wire running to a ground rod that is in the ground. You can see them here Preferably the same rod where your power panel is connected.

Jeff123 said:
At this point, it sounds like I should connect 2 more coaxs to my dish and just run them along my house into the attic for distribution. A neighbor of mine has the crimping tools so that isn't a problem.
If you are able to add two more runs to your attic for distribution that would be ideal. if you only have 2 receivers it would not be required ... but I think you said you had 3. Right, anyway, remove the current multi-switch from the loop if you can.

I would add that when dealing with satellite TV there is nothing better than a home run from the dish. Even if you have a distribution panel as many homes do, home runs are the way to go and have the least chance of failure. Glad we could help, let me know if you have more questions. It is getting to the point where I live on this site.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)