help needed with receiver

newdish2014

Original poster
Feb 1, 2014
northeast
hello,
i have three tvs and i have a two tv SD receiver, i think its a 322 receiver. all i watch is some international channels. no contract anymore.

I am thinking about upgrading to a receiver with HDMI, which i am hoping will give a clearer picture than the RCA/svideo inputs provide.
I need the help of experts here with some questions:

Is ebay the cheapest place to get a receiver at a resonable price? any other recommendations?

i have been looking at vip211 and 222k receivers as well as the DVR receivers on ebay.
all i want is a receiver with HDMI. what is the cheapest dish receiver with HDMI that you can recommend?

If i get a DVR receiver, is there a monthly fee that i will have to pay for it?

If i get three receivers, one for each tv, will i have to pay an additional monthly fee to dish ?

thank you

hello,
i have three tvs and i have a two tv SD receiver, i think its a 322 receiver. all i watch is some international channels. no contract anymore.

I am thinking about upgrading to a receiver with HDMI, which i am hoping will give a clearer picture than the RCA/svideo inputs provide.
I need the help of experts here with some questions:

Is ebay the cheapest place to get a receiver at a resonable price? any other recommendations?

i have been looking at vip211 and 222k receivers as well as the DVR receivers on ebay.
all i want is a receiver with HDMI. what is the cheapest dish receiver with HDMI that you can recommend?

If i get a DVR receiver, is there a monthly fee that i will have to pay for it?

If i get three receivers, one for each tv, will i have to pay an additional monthly fee to dish ?

thank you
A 211 is probably the cheapest with HDMI but looking at auction prices you could get a 722 for less than the auction price of a 211, After the primary each additional receiver will cost you at least $7 each up to $17 for a dual tuner DVR. Yes DVR receivers have a DVR fee per account.;

A 211 is probably the cheapest with HDMI but looking at auction prices you could get a 722 for less than the auction price of a 211, After the primary each additional receiver will cost you at least $7 each up to $17 for a dual tuner DVR. Yes DVR receivers have a DVR fee per account.;

so i can only get a single receiver(211 or 222) and that would not cost an additional fee?

i thought that if i buy my own receiver, i wont have to pay anything. and here i was thinking i can put a seperate box at each tv connecting via hdmi getting better picture.

so the best option i have is to just get a 222k.
one more question,
dish website says 222 needs an optional OTA module for OTA channels. is this true or does it comes built in already? as looking at ebay pictures i dont really see any slot or anything where a new module is to be added.

The 222K requires the dual OTA tuner module. The older 222 has the ONE OTA tuner built in.

Have you contacted Dish?

You might get a free upgrade, especially since you are out of your commitment, of course the free upgrade will start another 2 year commitment, but if you do not plan to change providers then it is of no consequence.

There is no advantage of buying over leasing, in fact if you amortize the cost of buying minus what the receiver may be worth in 3 or 4 years, you come out ahead by leasing the equipment, especially if Dish does not charge you anything up front.

The big question is, do you want to be able to view a program you have recorded on any tv in hd? With a 211, each tv will be independent and you will not be able to watch something recorded on another tv and there is a 1 time fee of $40/account to activate an ehd. The 722 only has 1 hdmi out, and the tv2 output is down converted to sd.
If you want to be able to view a recorded program on any tv, a Hopper and a Joey on the secondary tv's is the way to go. It will be more expensive, but it gives you more flexibility.
Once you have 5 posts, you can contact a member of DIRT and see what they can do for you..

thanks a lot for some great suggestions.

I have dropped the DVR idea as it will cost more per month than my current bill.

I have been with dish for about 14 yrs now, so not really going anywhere, unless another provider comes along with same international channels for cheaper.

So, will dish give me a vip222k receiver with a OTA module for free?(will they put me into a 1 or a 2 yr contract?). will my bill stay the same as now or will it go up a little?

i remember the last time i had a contract, i was forced to have the protection plan. is it still the same?

I just want to make sure that my bill will not go up from where i am currently by doing any of this. this was the reason in the first place to try to get a new receiver, as i never thought that dish might be willing to give me the receiver for free if i get under contract again)

thanks a lot for some great suggestions.

I have dropped the DVR idea as it will cost more per month than my current bill.

I have been with dish for about 14 yrs now, so not really going anywhere, unless another provider comes along with same international channels for cheaper.

So, will dish give me a vip222k receiver with a OTA module for free?(will they put me into a 1 or a 2 yr contract?). will my bill stay the same as now or will it go up a little?

i remember the last time i had a contract, i was forced to have the protection plan. is it still the same?

I just want to make sure that my bill will not go up from where i am currently by doing any of this. this was the reason in the first place to try to get a new receiver, as i never thought that dish might be willing to give me the receiver for free if i get under contract again)
The 222 is basically the same as your 322 except TV1 is high definition and will have 1 HDMI output. You will get a two year contract with a free upgrade. You might also have a requirement to subscribe to HD channels. The requirements and cost can only come from DISH each customer is different. Contact DIRT or DISH Retention to get your offer. Unless you are subscribing to High Definition channels you probably won't see any improvement in video quality the same SD transmission is still being processed by the 222 receiver.

Unless you are subscribing to High Definition channels you probably won't see any improvement in video quality the same SD transmission is still being processed by the 222 receiver.

This seems to be the most important point; HDMI isn't magic. If you are only subscribing/receiving SD channels, the HDMI connection (presumably to your HDTV) will not improve your picture.

well i thought that through HDMI the picture quality will be a bit better than through s-video. i thought since it converts from digital signal to analog, that downgrades the picture quality a bit? no?

yes, i only have sd channels now.

is that confirmed that they may force me to get HD if i try to get 222k?

well i thought that through HDMI the picture quality will be a bit better than through s-video. i thought since it converts from digital signal to analog, that downgrades the picture quality a bit? no?

Usually when you upgrade to HD equipment for the first time you are required to subscribe to HD equipment. Dish may make an exception though. If you upgrade to HD equipment you can take advantage of the HD Free for 24 Months promotion they have now though.

CALL DISH 800-333-3474 they are the only ones that can tell you what an upgrade will cost and what is required.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)