Help new Dish customer with new 811!!!

BlackHitachi

Medford Oregon
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 17, 2003
Medford, Oregon
Hello i am Joining Dish on sunday its going to be installed.. I am REALLY looking forward to HDTV!! I went to antenaweb.org to see what kind of ant i will need for local HD reception.. It said i would need:::

You need a Small Multidirectional Antenna.

The smallest of TV antennas, these receive equally well from all directions. Designs include novel-shaped disks, patch antennas and antennas that attach to satellite systems. These antennas are most effective when signal strength is highest and away from reflecting structures or low areas.

I was wondering would a steath ant work.. For my wife and i just got this house and in our neighbor hood there are no ant.. We drove around and looked and we were told the neighbors dont like them.. any way thanks for any help... :D

BlackHitachi said:
We drove around and looked and we were told the neighbors dont like them... :D

What if they didn't like children either...!?! :twisted: Seriously, there can't be any homeonwer assoc. by-laws against a normal rooftop antenna. That would be the day i would sacrifice my HDTV picture quality because of a few 19" TV watching whack-job neighbors!!! Also, there are probably no antennas since most people have a dish or cable...rooftop antenna's are like carburetors...hardly used anymore....until now...they're BACK!!!

Hmm I know there is an antenna threed around here....

http://www.satelliteguys.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3424

I will be using the Zenith Silver sensor which has gotten the best reviews of any small indoor antenna. Hope this helps, I will post more when I get my 811 and try it out.

Ransack said:
BlackHitachi said:
We drove around and looked and we were told the neighbors dont like them... :D

What if they didn't like children either...!?! :twisted: Seriously, there can't be any homeonwer assoc. by-laws against a normal rooftop antenna. That would be the day i would sacrifice my HDTV picture quality because of a few 19" TV watching whack-job neighbors!!! Also, there are probably no antennas since most people have a dish or cable...rooftop antenna's are like carburetors...hardly used anymore....until now...they're BACK!!!

Amen I am kinda PISSED about the whole thing.. I am just the kind of person to put the dang thing up just to start some mess.. The only problem is i am married now and she calms me down too much!! :oops:

antenna's

BlackHitachi-

I live in Salem and found the same thing on antennaweb. Did you get an antenna yet and if so how is it and what kind?

Thanks

I am using a Radio Shack set top antenna. Model number is 15-1880. Price is $49.99. I originally had it in an unused bedroom and ran it through my internal cable wiring. I then moved it up in the attic where I left a cable drop and an electrical outlet (the antenna is amplified). I am about 40 miles or so out from the transmitter and am getting 80 to 85 in the signal strength.

I am about 25 miles from the HDTV broadcast towers in Sacramento and antennaweb told me a small antenna would also be fine. I tried the Megawave MV-1A indoor set-top antenna with pretty good results (65+ on all the DTV stations with some dropouts) but switched to the Silver Sensor (got it at best buy) and am getting FANTASTIC reception. The weakest station was 75+ (it was raining outside at the time) and it is not an amplified antenna. It is, however, a UHF only antenna, so make sure none of your stations are in the VHF range before using it. It's also very directional, so I had to make sure it was aimed in the direction of the tower (all local OTA digital channels come off one tower here) in order for it to pull everything in properly. I really did not want to mount a mast if I didn't have to so if you're close enough, I would recommend this antenna highly!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)