Help...Please help. Installation question - Dish HD - no locals?

JaredWoogs

Original poster
Dec 3, 2012
Lebanon, PA
I need some help in tuning my local channels - please. I have done standard dish pointing in the past with no issues, but recently switched to Dish HD (brand new) and then got my own 722, and my own HD (1000.4) dish via Craigslist - they both function fine, I just can't find the local stations as I can only get ONE satellite via the "Point Dish" screen. Here are the facts, and hopefully someone can tell me what I need to do to fix my situation.

* I have a Dish 1000.4 - verified that in the setup screen- however - I am unsure whether I have an Eastern Arc or a Western Arc LNB?
--------------there are three LNB's on the end of the arm -two together, and one on its own. There are three coaxial cables coming from the LNB to the end of the arm - two of them are together, and one seperate - I assume it is the two LNB's bringing down the two fused coax cables together, and the LNB on the right has it's own coax coming out.

* I am located in zipcode 17067 in Pennsylvania. My dish is pointed due south. I have no issues picking up the EchoStar 72.7 West - good verified reception with zero obstructions.

* I installed the dish using "ONE" of the three coaxial cables. It is running directly to the back of the receiver (722K).

* I can receive all the HD and non HD channels that are in my package EXCEPT the locals.

* I am able to use the dual tuner feature - i.e. PiP, other TV's in the house etc.

* I am relatively confident that I need to find satallite 62.5 for my locals?
The question is how?

Do I need some sort of a splitter? Do I need connect all of the coax cables coming from the dish into a splitter, and then send it to the receiver? Do I have my dish pointed incorrectly?

I tried, all weekend- hooked it up in all sorts of variations, ran a check switch each time- and no matter what configuration I use - I am not able to get my locals.

I have searched this forum, and some other searches on the net, and get bits and pieces but I guess my problem is- without knowing what I am doing in one answer leads me to guessing- which is of course not a good road to travel.
I Thank anyone in advance - genuinely - for their help with my problem.

I can upload images if needed, but I am hoping this is something simple a newbie is overlooking...

i think your locals will be on 61.5................. if you do a check switch it will tell you what you are getting.
good luck, hope it helps you.

i think your locals will be on 61.5................. if you do a check switch it will tell you what you are getting.
good luck, hope it helps you.

Yeah, tried that, I am pretty confident I need to get locals on 61.5 - problem is I can't get it at all? I have ton a check switch...a bunch of times.

The first thing you need to do is to verify which lnb setup you have. Both type of lnb assemblies are available for both the 1000.4 and 1000.2 dishes. Are the lnb's evenly spaced or is one spaced almost twice the distance as the other? If they are evenly space, the lnb setup is for WA and not then its' EA. You need the one for EA. What you should do is to make sure the matrix is clear (if you ran check switch, you would need to run it again without the coax connected to the receiver, new Dish receivers have problems finding sat locations if not in the matrix.) Cover both outside lnb's and find 72 using just the center one with a signal strength at least in the high 50's (don't mind the meter which goes to 125, software updates will not show any signal too much higher on EA). This should get you close and only very minor adjustments should bring in 61.5 and 77. Tighten down all the adjustment screws and then run check switch. Also note that Dish also has a dish for just 61.5 and 72 as not all markets are not required to need the 77 sat location.

You are using the EA LNB. Use these coordinates to point your dish and then fine tune for best signal. Elevation 44, Azimuth 185 and Skew 86. Run a check switch.

It appears I do have the EA LNB - according to what I am reading. I have an image of what mine looks like attached. Dish LNB end.jpg

You are using the EA LNB. Use these coordinates to point your dish and then fine tune for best signal. Elevation 44, Azimuth 185 and Skew 86. Run a check switch.

Let me re-confirm those coordinates on my dish...THANK YOU!

Am I correct in only running one (ANY one) of the coax cables coming from the LNB head direct to the receiver? Or do I need to use one specific, or two split...? Sorry, just trying to eliminate doing this over and over...and over and over - as I spent most of the weekend trying to figure this out.

Thanks for the replies everyone- this site is one powerful resource!

I will verify those coordinates on the dish. Thank you!

Next question just so I know for sure: Do I use ANY of the coax cables coming from the LNB and run direct to the receiver, or do I need to use one vs another, or two of them into a splitter or beyond that? I am just trying to eliminate trying this over and over and over and over again.

Thanks again for the great feedback! What a great community site this is!

Sorry for the double post- I replied to the first one, and didn't realize it posted, didn't see it so I posed the question again.
- Yeah, I am a greenhorn here.

The 722 is a dual tuner receiver. You can run two cables from the dish to the receiver or run just one and use a separator not a splitter. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0016HPAAG/?tag=satell01-20

I have this separator installed on the line coming from the dish itself, the dual tuner feature is currently working. I was just concerned that with three LNB heads on the dish itself, and me only using ONE of the coax cables coming from that three head I was missing something. Thanks!

The first thing you need to do is to verify which lnb setup you have. Both type of lnb assemblies are available for both the 1000.4 and 1000.2 dishes. Are the lnb's evenly spaced or is one spaced almost twice the distance as the other? If they are evenly space, the lnb setup is for WA and not then its' EA. You need the one for EA. What you should do is to make sure the matrix is clear (if you ran check switch, you would need to run it again without the coax connected to the receiver, new Dish receivers have problems finding sat locations if not in the matrix.) Cover both outside lnb's and find 72 using just the center one with a signal strength at least in the high 50's (don't mind the meter which goes to 125, software updates will not show any signal too much higher on EA). This should get you close and only very minor adjustments should bring in 61.5 and 77. Tighten down all the adjustment screws and then run check switch. Also note that Dish also has a dish for just 61.5 and 72 as not all markets are not required to need the 77 sat location.

I'll add, after clearing the switch matrix (disconnected Check Switch) connect the coax to the 72 connection on the LNB. Then find the 72 satellite.

See the attached page 2 overview.

Attachments

• Eastern_Arc_Antenna_Installation_Instructions.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 202
From the installation instructions I attached above,

Install Guide said:
If you are peaking the dish using a previously-installed receiver, run a Check Switch test with the
SATELLITE IN cable(s) disconnected before peaking the dish (see step 10 on page 8 for help
running the Check Switch test). This clears the previous Check Switch results and allows the
receiver to detect the signal from the DPP 1000.4 LNBF. Set the receiver’s Point Dish screen to
satellite 72.7ºW and transponder 19 or 21 if peaking using this method.
Peak the dish for the strongest possible signal on the 72.7°W satellite signal using the azimuth
setting you wrote on page 3. Do not adjust the skew.
Note: If you cannot find the 72.7°W signal, try adjusting the elevation up or down one or two
degrees. Ensure you are peaking the dish using transponder 19 or 21. If using a peaking meter,
only odd transponders will display from 72.7°W.
With the peaking meter still connected, tighten the three mast bolts labeled with a T to the torque
values listed in Table 1 on page 6. Re-confirm signal strength after tightening the bolts.

Okay, I "think" this is where my area of concern lies. Having now read this... THANK you for linking this- man-- it would have been helpful yesterday.

On PAGE 7 the the Eastern Arc Antenna Install Instructions; it shows a "Dish Pro Plus Separator" being connected. My concern, and almost the reason I started this whole thread was that I thought I needed one of these.
After thinking it over and over, I was afraid I needed to have one of these separators somewhere in the line on the way to the receiver. I couldn't, and still can't wrap my head around that.

In my mind it seems that the LNB on the right side of the arm (the one that stands on it's own) is for the 61.5 Sat. Futhermore, it would seem that the two LNB's on the left of the arm (the two that are under one cap) would be for Sat 77(?) and Sat 72. In my newbie mind- I needed to get BOTH the 61.5 and at least the 72 lines fed into my receiver. How would I do that? I was thinking of this separator...I would take the far right head and the middle head and run them into a separator, and the feed that came out of the back of this separator would THEN go to my receiver.

But now looking on page 2 of the instructions, I see an exploded view of the LNB head, and I see the one to the extreme right side is an "LNB In", and the 2nd from left is the 61.5.

PLEASE keep in mind- I did NOT open up the end of the LNB arm and change anything. I bought the dish from someone local (within 10 miles of my house) and ASSUMED that the connection would be identical.

Is it necassary for me to open up the LNB (as if I were installing coax to it for the first time) and confirm anything?
Do I need the separator switch?
I am getting there...I promise- the questions will cease.

Okay, I "think" this is where my area of concern lies. Having now read this... THANK you for linking this- man-- it would have been helpful yesterday.
Maybe come here first next time? :D j/k
On PAGE 7 the the Eastern Arc Antenna Install Instructions; it shows a "Dish Pro Plus Separator" being connected. My concern, and almost the reason I started this whole thread was that I thought I needed one of these.
After thinking it over and over, I was afraid I needed to have one of these separators somewhere in the line on the way to the receiver. I couldn't, and still can't wrap my head around that.
The separator splits the single coax so two tuners of the receiver can see the LNB. The LNB contains all the necessary switches to let the Dish Pro Plus receiver command which satellite to switch to. You can either use the separator OR run two lines from the LNB to the receiver. The separator is much easier.
In my mind it seems that the LNB on the right side of the arm (the one that stands on it's own) is for the 61.5 Sat.
^ Correct.
Futhermore, it would seem that the two LNB's on the left of the arm (the two that are under one cap) would be for Sat 77(?) and Sat 72.
^Correct again.
In my newbie mind- I needed to get BOTH the 61.5 and at least the 72 lines fed into my receiver. How would I do that? I was thinking of this separator...I would take the far right head and the middle head and run them into a separator, and the feed that came out of the back of this separator would THEN go to my receiver.
No. The LNB contains the switches that the receiver commands to pass the required satellite. Without the receiver commanding the LNB switches, the LNB passes the satellites according to the diagram, port 1=77, port 2=72 and port 3 = 61.5. The port 4 is for adding another LNB input to the system. This is why it'simportant to clear the receiver switch matrix, so the receiver will not alter the native port assignments. This is also why it's important to tune 72 on port 2 when aiming. Further insurance is to cover the outside LNB eyes with foil so their signals cannot be seen.
But now looking on page 2 of the instructions, I see an exploded view of the LNB head, and I see the one to the extreme right side is an "LNB In", and the 2nd from left is the 61.5.

PLEASE keep in mind- I did NOT open up the end of the LNB arm and change anything. I bought the dish from someone local (within 10 miles of my house) and ASSUMED that the connection would be identical.

Is it necassary for me to open up the LNB (as if I were installing coax to it for the first time) and confirm anything?
Pull the LNB head off a few inches (remove the screw) and make the connection to port 2 as described above.
Do I need the separator switch?
I am getting there...I promise- the questions will cease.

Put the separator at the receiver tuner 1 and 2 in. If you are only doing one receiver, use just the one cable coming from port 2 for aiming and forever. After you are aimed correctly, run a check switch. You should now see all the sats. At this point, both tuners can see all three sats through one cable.

Maybe come here first next time? :D j/k

The separator splits the single coax so two tuners of the receiver can see the LNB. The LNB contains all the necessary switches to let the Dish Pro Plus receiver command which satellite to switch to. You can either use the separator OR run two lines from the LNB to the receiver. The separator is much easier.

^ Correct.

^Correct again.

No. The LNB contains the switches that the receiver commands to pass the required satellite. Without the receiver commanding the LNB switches, the LNB passes the satellites according to the diagram, port 1=77, port 2=72 and port 3 = 61.5. The port 4 is for adding another LNB input to the system. This is why it'simportant to clear the receiver switch matrix, so the receiver will not alter the native port assignments. This is also why it's important to tune 72 on port 2 when aiming. Further insurance is to cover the outside LNB eyes with foil so their signals cannot be seen.

Pull the LNB head off a few inches (remove the screw) and make the connection to port 2 as described above.

Put the separator at the receiver tuner 1 and 2 in. If you are only doing one receiver, use just the one cable coming from port 2 for aiming and forever. After you are aimed correctly, run a check switch. You should now see all the sats. At this point, both tuners can see all three sats through one cable.

I can't thank you enough...THAT - is some incredible information. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
I now feel armed and ready- will get back up on the roof, check my coordinates, check my cables, run my aiming, run my check switch, and with all this info...should be done.

Thank you for the input- this place is amazing!

Anyone willing to he me over a short phone call? I have tried everything mentioned above and then some and still have no local channels on, and can't get hooked to 61.5. PM me, I would be forever grateful.

how about he covers the two outside lnb's and lines up on 72.7? I think his dish is locked on withthe wrong lnb on a wrong sat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)