HELP please! Problem getting 22 kHz tone switch & 2 DiSEqC's to work together

Status
Please reply by conversation.

anik

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 28, 2004
U.S.A.
Here's the DESIRED situation: Pansat 2500A receiver, with five dish inputs to be switched. Two are already coming into the house and are fed into two inputs of a four-port DiSEqC switch. The other three are on two adjacent poles and these are combined into another four-port DiSEqC switch (there are extra ports on both DiSEqC's for expansion purposes). Both DiSEqC's are being fed to a 22 kHz tone switch which is in turn connected to the Pansat.

Now if I bypass the tone switch and connect either DiSEqC switch directly to the receiver, it works perfectly. And if I use the tone switch (which has two inputs labeled "ON LNB-A" and "OFF LNB-B"), the DiSEqC connected to the "OFF LNB-B" side works perfectly. However, the DiSEqC connected to the ON LNB-A apparently can't be switched - in other words, when the 22 kHz signal is on, the ONLY signal I can receive is the one that is connected to DiSEqC port 1.

The weird part is that each of the switches appears to be working fine in isolation - both DiSEqC switches work fine if they are the only switch connected to the Pansat, and the 22 kHz tone switch does switch between the inputs. But it's as if when the 22 kHz tone is on, it somehow inhibits the DiSEqC switch from receiving its signals. I've tried swapping the DiSEqC's and it doesn't matter, whichever one is connected to the "OFF LNB-B" side works fine and whichever one is connected to the "ON LNB-A" can only be switched to DiSEqC #1.

Now here is the other weird thing. The guy I bought this switch from said it was a 22 kHz tone switch, but the brand and model number is CHIETA WSD-2001. So naturally I went to Chieta's web site (the URL is on the package the switch came in) and, well, take a look at this (it is the top switch on the page):

http://www.chieta.com/WSD.htm

In the specs it's described as a 2x1-DiSEqC Switch (Ver.1.0?2.0) BUT then in the description is states: Control Signal: 0 / 22KHz / tone buse. And it does seem to respond to the 22 kHz tone.

So I am wondering what the heck i've got here and if I was sold the wrong item for my application, or if the switch itself is defective. If anyone here could enlighten me, I would much appreciate it. If it is the wrong item, I'd very much appreciate the brand and model number of a 22 kHz tone switch that WILL work between the receiver and the DiSEqC's, and still allow both DiSEqC's to be switched. Thanks for any enlightenment you can share.

Addendum: I also found that the tone switch seems to work find if placed between the DiSEQc and the LNB. But I still can't understand why one DiSEqC won't work when the setup is like this (plese ignore the ` marks, I couldn't find a way to use a space that would not be ignored):

```````````````````+------ 22 kHz ------ DiSEqC #1 ------ LNB's
Pansat 2500A ------+```````Tone
```````````````````+------ Switch ------ DiSEqC #2 ------ LNB's

Anyone???

I wish I had an answer for you... but I'll be following this thread, as I have the same need.... I five LNBS I want to connect to a single dish.

I think the problem with the Universal LNB. It should work
if you only have circular and linear LNBs.

Iceberg said:
you cant use a 22k switch with a universal since the universal has a 22k built in

Well, as I posted in another message today, everything seems to work with the tone switch AFTER the DiSEqC, in other words I can (in theory, anyway) use one DiSEqC and four tone switches but not one tone switch and two DiSEqC's.

I don't think I have any "universal" LNB's; everything is standard. I have a couple small dishes pointed at free audio signals on those high powered satellites and those seem to switch polarity correctly even when last in line after the tone switch.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hipasat Sate.

Installing Motorized Sat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)