Help pop get Dish and OTA channels in the garage/shop?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Gaze

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 15, 2014
My dad currently has a single VIP211K receiver on living room TV, and basic HD rabbit ears on a TV in the garage (where he spends a lot of time tinkering). For a couple years now he was somewhat content with that, but today asked how he can "get all those channels I get on the LR TV in the garage".

The garage TV is about 50ft from the LR TV. He has no need for a DVR. Getting free OTA locals would be desirable as well. He is horrible with technology, so the most simple solution would be best...meaning he will not be able to do anything more complicated than On/Off then change channels...otherwise he gets confused (89yo).

What are his most cost effective options? If I can DIY install any additional or different equipment to save a few bucks, I 'd be up for that if feasible.

Thanks guys

Well, if you are familiar with running ethernet, I'm using a $35 AGPtek LKV372A kit I got on Amazon to send my Wally in the living room to a bedroomTV.

My Wally goes into my Onkyo AV receiver which has a main out (living room TV) and a sub out (kit above). I've been using it for a couple months and it works perfectly. I ran ethernet myself through the walls and attic. I was pleasantly surprised that it did not effect my DD/THX audio in the living room. I had tried using a HDMI splitter in the past and it b0rked stuff.

You might be able to use the RF out and run a long coax cable to the garage TV. Not sure how good it would work on a 50ft run tho.

My dad currently has a single VIP211K receiver on living room TV, and basic HD rabbit ears on a TV in the garage (where he spends a lot of time tinkering). For a couple years now he was somewhat content with that, but today asked how he can "get all those channels I get on the LR TV in the garage".

The garage TV is about 50ft from the LR TV. He has no need for a DVR. Getting free OTA locals would be desirable as well. He is horrible with technology, so the most simple solution would be best...meaning he will not be able to do anything more complicated than On/Off then change channels...otherwise he gets confused (89yo).

What are his most cost effective options? If I can DIY install any additional or different equipment to save a few bucks, I 'd be up for that if feasible.
The most cost effective option might be to replace the ViP211k with a ViP222k (if you can find one) and run a cable from the TV2 output to the TV in the garage. You would probably also want to add the MT2 OTA module to integrate the OTA locals into the ViP222k program guide. My only concern would be whether the UHF remote control for TV2 would work at 50 ft. away from the receiver.

What kind of tv in the garage?

The 211K has an OTA tuner built in, so connect antenna to it and scan for the local channels and they will appear in guide with the other Dish channels. 211k also has a coax output for channel 3/4 like old vcr's. Run a coax from 211k to garage and set garage tv to channel 3 or 4. Add an RF remote extender to 211 and then you can control 211 from garage too.

Also could run 50ft composite w/ left right audio cable or 50ft component w/audio cables to garage as ALL outputs are live on the 211K at the same time.

Otherwise swap 211K for a 222k which provides tv for 2 rooms. Run a 50ft coax to garage tv from the 222. TV 1 output of 222 connects to LR and TV 2 output connects to tv 2 via coax. 222 has built in RF remote to control TV 2 output from garage. 222K would need the additional external OTA tuner in order to use an antenna for locals

Last edited:
The most cost effective option might be to replace the ViP211k with a ViP222k (if you can find one) and run a cable from the TV2 output to the TV in the garage. You would probably also want to add the MT2 OTA module to integrate the OTA locals into the ViP222k program guide. My only concern would be whether the UHF remote control for TV2 would work at 50 ft. away from the receiver.

There's a trick to make that happen. You need 2 splitters and 3 short jumpers. Put 2 jumpers on the output ports of one splitter and connect them to the Antenna port and (Yellow) whole home port at the back of the receiver. Connect the yellow jumper from the Triplexor to the input on the splitter.

Now, the other splitter, put the third short jumper on one output and the antenna on the other. Connect that jumper to the coax input on TV2, the incoming line to the input on the splitter.

In the same way the Diplexor/Triplexor multiplexes the signal to TV, it also does the same with the antenna signal. I do this all the time on setups where TV2 is too far away form the receiver.

Also, you may have to set the Modulator to Cable/Ch. 73 if there's any distortion in the picture on TV2

Reactions: pattykay
Okay, thanks for the detailed responses. Very helpful! I need to study them and decide which route to take.

Someone asked what kind of TV in the garage, it's a 42" flat screen Sceptre cheapo, but it has all the modern inputs.

I bought a $15 four way HDMI splitter and some long HDMI cables. I have a hopper 3 hooked BR TV and living room, family room and office connected to Joey through the four way splitter. my RF remote work fine but are no more than 25 feet from Joey. picture quality is unchanged from one TV connected directly to Joey.-

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Just a quick chime in for an update...
For kicks, before doing anything more complicated, I connected RG6 coax cable to the 'OUT' connector on the back of pop's VIP211K receiver and routed it to the garage TV (on ch3). Since he lives alone, he has no problem with both TVs being on the same channel. Told him to try that setup, for now. Today he said it's perfect, just what he wanted. So, looks like a done deal.

Thanks for the help :)

Just a quick chime in for an update... For kicks, before doing anything more complicated, I connected RG6 coax cable to the 'OUT' connector on the back of pop's VIP211K receiver and routed it to the garage TV (on ch3). Since he lives alone, he has no problem with both TVs being on the same channel. Told him to try that setup, for now. Today he said it's perfect, just what he wanted. So, looks like a done deal. Thanks for the help :)
Just a quick chime in for an update... For kicks, before doing anything more complicated, I connected RG6 coax cable to the 'OUT' connector on the back of pop's VIP211K receiver and routed it to the garage TV (on ch3). Since he lives alone, he has no problem with both TVs being on the same channel. Told him to try that setup, for now. Today he said it's perfect, just what he wanted. So, looks like a done deal. Thanks for the help :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)