Help!! Recording ?'s and Timers

RITAcp

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2004
grand rapids, michigan
Ok, just had the 522 installed yesterday morning and that went good. Had to go right to work after the installer left so I didnt have any time to mess with it at that time. Then came home and noticed i did not have my local channels, called dish and they turned them on. So no problem there, but now with my local channels i get no information on the guide past 1 hour out. Therefor I can not schedule any programs ahead of time. Im pissed!! Called dish again! and he had me reset the 522, didnt work, then he said he would send a hit to the 522, didnt work either. So then he just says that the local stations must not be sending us the signals for the channels so they are not able to show them until they get them?? Not sure if that was just a load of crap or if i still need to do something to fix this.
Then I did a timer for amazing race last night on tv1 and said weekly freq, and dvr, 5 min over, protect. I was watching a different channel on tv2 and come to find out this morning that the show was never recorded!!! Pissed Again!!! I had scheduled a show to record on tv2 at 10pm just a one time thing and it did work. So what the heck did I do wrong? :mad:

Normally the locals update right away (they did on my 508 when I got it)

I think this is a known problem on the 522

RITAcp said:
I thought about doing that, so when you mean power off, just push power on 522 and leave it? or unplug? what do i need to do?
Just pushing the power button. that way it downloads the updates and guide data. And my guide took almost 4 days before locals would show up properly.

If you had it set to record on TV2 and it tried to record on Tuner 2 (TV2) then it probably didnt switch to tuner 1 to record but instead thought you were watching something and didnt grab it. If you live by yourself I suggest using Single mode. that way it starts recording on whatever tuner isnt in primary use. And you have a PIP feature on your non PIP tv. For directions on single mode there is a thread around here somewhere.

If you are wondering if Single mode turns off the TV 2 output it doesnt. whatever you have on in the TV1 area will also be on in the TV2 area if the TVs are on at the same time. But this is nice when you either live alone or (like me) your wife uses the 510 in the bedroom and I wander wherever I want to watch what I record on the 522.

ShadowEKU said:
Just pushing the power button. that way it downloads the updates and guide data. And my guide took almost 4 days before locals would show up properly.

If you had it set to record on TV2 and it tried to record on Tuner 2 (TV2) then it probably didnt switch to tuner 1 to record but instead thought you were watching something and didnt grab it. If you live by yourself I suggest using Single mode. that way it starts recording on whatever tuner isnt in primary use. And you have a PIP feature on your non PIP tv. For directions on single mode there is a thread around here somewhere.

If you are wondering if Single mode turns off the TV 2 output it doesnt. whatever you have on in the TV1 area will also be on in the TV2 area if the TVs are on at the same time. But this is nice when you either live alone or (like me) your wife uses the 510 in the bedroom and I wander wherever I want to watch what I record on the 522.
Ill try shutting down tonight. I was wondering about the pip thing, i couldnt get it to work last night and there is nothing in the manual about it either. So i push the mode to single mode, and is there any other settings i need to change to fix my problem? I want to be able set a weekly timer for my shows. Also i have Record Plus in my menu, I dont understand what this is either, help didnt give me any clue and once again nothing in the manual.
HeHe thanks for the reply shadow!

RITAcp said:
Ill try shutting down tonight. I was wondering about the pip thing, i couldnt get it to work last night and there is nothing in the manual about it either. So i push the mode to single mode, and is there any other settings i need to change to fix my problem? I want to be able set a weekly timer for my shows. Also i have Record Plus in my menu, I dont understand what this is either, help didnt give me any clue and once again nothing in the manual.
HeHe thanks for the reply shadow!

PIP will only work In single mode.... its not in the manual... E* is pretty notorious for this as I understand. The record plus is primarily for use in Dual mode. Waht it does is.... you set it to say tuner 2 or tv 2 I dont remember which exactly. if you go into the guide and set something to record. it defaults to record on tuner or tv 2. Like if you (like me) watch too much Stargate.. I would set up my recordings and they would default to TV2 and I would happily sit at tv1 and watch whatever I wanted. It takes some planning unfortunately. Say you want to set something up that you know youll be in bed watching tv... that would need to be set to tuner 1. I hope that makes sense. However in Single mode (which I LOVE) it just records on whatever tuner isnt dominant (displayed) if you are in PIP when a timer fires it prompts you as to which one you want to record in. I think Single mode was more thought out than the original dual mode but thats only my opinion.

I had the same problem with my local guide after the 522 was install I left the unit off overnight thinking it would download the guide and be fine the next morning but no good. I ended up calling DN and after they tried a reset with the power button no help the rehit the locals still no help then the had me go into the install menu and do a check switch that made the unit recheck all the switch connection and then it downloaded the guide info again this time it also downloaded the local guide info. You might try that I had the unit on single mode during this also.

Shadowtester said:
I had the same problem with my local guide after the 522 was install I left the unit off overnight thinking it would download the guide and be fine the next morning but no good. I ended up calling DN and after they tried a reset with the power button no help the rehit the locals still no help then the had me go into the install menu and do a check switch that made the unit recheck all the switch connection and then it downloaded the guide info again this time it also downloaded the local guide info. You might try that I had the unit on single mode during this also.
So do I need to call dish for this procedure? Im not sure if I understand what you mean to do myself?

ShadowEKU said:
PIP will only work In single mode.... its not in the manual... E* is pretty notorious for this as I understand. The record plus is primarily for use in Dual mode. Waht it does is.... you set it to say tuner 2 or tv 2 I dont remember which exactly. if you go into the guide and set something to record. it defaults to record on tuner or tv 2. Like if you (like me) watch too much Stargate.. I would set up my recordings and they would default to TV2 and I would happily sit at tv1 and watch whatever I wanted. It takes some planning unfortunately. Say you want to set something up that you know youll be in bed watching tv... that would need to be set to tuner 1. I hope that makes sense. However in Single mode (which I LOVE) it just records on whatever tuner isnt dominant (displayed) if you are in PIP when a timer fires it prompts you as to which one you want to record in. I think Single mode was more thought out than the original dual mode but thats only my opinion.
I have 2 tv's, tv1 in living room with the 522, and tv2 in bedroom. I live alone so whatever will work is fine with me! I obviously watch most on tv1 during day and at night tv2. So how should i set this up step by step, I dont want to miss another damn program i was supposedly recording. The mode needs to be in single, then what? How should the record plus be setup then? Please help me Shadow!!!

RITAcp said:
I have 2 tv's, tv1 in living room with the 522, and tv2 in bedroom. I live alone so whatever will work is fine with me! I obviously watch most on tv1 during day and at night tv2. So how should i set this up step by step, I dont want to miss another damn program i was supposedly recording. The mode needs to be in single, then what? How should the record plus be setup then? Please help me Shadow!!!

If you put it in Single mode... dont worry aboutrecord plus... it will default to whatever tuner isnt in use... if both are it will prompt you. I would recomment Single mode specificly for your purposes... you even get a nice PIP feature that actually works :) once you hit mode you should be set.

The Local guide data... try unplugging for a minute plugging back in... then leave it in the off mode (plugged in but no front panel lights on) overnight and see if that doesnt clear up. Like I said it updated in a couple of days for me.

You do not need to call dish to try the reset or switch testing try them first if that does not solve your problem then call up Dish and bitch after all your are paying for the programming and also paying an additional fee for the PVR. The only reason I called dish was it was the day after it was installed and I did not know much about the opreation of the 522 or its problems found this board after. The only thing that talking to the Dish tech did was to tell me how to reset the receiver and use the check switch to initate a transponder check and guide download He also resent the activation for the locals just incase that was the problem basicly the lead pipe approach hit with everything you can to see if you can get it to work.

Whew!!! everything worked great!!! **Just an FYI** I ended up having to do a check switch 2 times, cause i got an error on the first one, but after that all my local guides showed up!!! YIPPEE!!!! Also I switched to single mode and went thru and rescheduled all the timers I had originally setup in dual mode(that I deleted when I was pissed) and all worked well. Thanks guys for all your help I really appreciate it!

RITAcp said:
Whew!!! everything worked great!!! **Just an FYI** I ended up having to do a check switch 2 times, cause i got an error on the first one, but after that all my local guides showed up!!! YIPPEE!!!! Also I switched to single mode and went thru and rescheduled all the timers I had originally setup in dual mode(that I deleted when I was pissed) and all worked well. Thanks guys for all your help I really appreciate it!

Not a problem....

Its what we do.

If you run into any more problems or questions most of us will be happy to answer

Shadowtester said:
You do not need to call dish to try the reset or switch testing try them first if that does not solve your problem then call up Dish and bitch after all your are paying for the programming and also paying an additional fee for the PVR. The only reason I called dish was it was the day after it was installed and I did not know much about the opreation of the 522 or its problems found this board after. The only thing that talking to the Dish tech did was to tell me how to reset the receiver and use the check switch to initate a transponder check and guide download He also resent the activation for the locals just incase that was the problem basicly the lead pipe approach hit with everything you can to see if you can get it to work.
I am having this same problem with my new 522 installed yesterday.

I looked through the menu's but could not see a menu saying switch testing under the set up menu. can you help me find it

thanks

EDIT: I managed to find it. Thanks Anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)