This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Help - Recording to PC?

How about using one of the usb drive inclosures you can pick up for 25-75 bucks and connects via firewire or usb. Could you also use one of the fast swapable drive enlosure for the pc case. This would at least speed the process up on one end. Does anyone have an idea if something like this could work?

I am inputing downrezzed 480i from my dish 6000u to the s-vhs input on the panasonic, then I put the recorded ram disc into my pc, run tmpg dvd author, edit(I can edit with the panasonic)and then burn the converted "survivor" to dvd. With my radeon I just cannot get as good pq (recording at the dvd quality setting)

Trav and Joth386, check out the Yahoo discussion group called "dishrip". Here is the url: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dishrip/. All the infor about this is there. Trav, you were basically right Just hook the PVR's drive to an IDE cable in your PC. There is a program that will read the drives content (Linux based) and allow you to transfer it to your Window based computer, changing the header infor along the way so that it is then seen as an audio and video streams, for the most part ready to author.

Yes, you can set to start a channel then later change to different channel. Most non-PVR receiver that I've used in the past have this feature. It is called "Timer Events". It is put in there so that you can record using your VCR. If you want to make sure Dish Network web site has a section for "Manuals" you can look. It usually explains in MENU section.

I have not use it for a while so forgot about that feature. I guess it will work.

I guess my answer above should have taken care of the issue with changing channels. In terms of quality, yes it can lose quality because of double recording. However, PVR does excellent job of recording especially satellite signal are already coming in as MPEG streams, and my guess is that PVR won't need to change anything from its original format. I wouldn't be surprised it does not loose quality if you set highest quality recording (with less recording time) and play it back later would be as good as original. I would use S-Video for better quality. If you don't mind spending $5 PVR will be way convenient.

MikeF--
You posted this a long time back but if you (or anybody else) can mention the software/program that would convert the contents of the PVR HD to DVD burnable format, that would be great. Btw, you mentioned that the 510 HD has linux formatting. Does this mean one needs to have a computer running linux to read the PVR's HD (that is hooked up to an external USB enclosure)?

SimpleSimon,
Thanks for the tip. Am just getting started with satellite programming stuff and there's a whole bunch to learn.