Help: Roof mounting AT9 5-LNB dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sefemma

Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Cambridge, MA
I have an appointment with DirecTV to install the AT9 dish in place of my 3-LNB dish. It really needs to go on the slanted area of our roof (to which we have reasonable access from a roof deck) in the location that the 3-LNB was mounted. But, I keep reading that this dish is much heavier and that the installers may not have it down right etc etc, and I know we are among the first in this area to do this upgrade.
So, I am hoping someone (or several someones) can give me specific recommendations about solid properly-fitting roof mounting equipment I can purchase in adance, as well as where I can get it, so that I can have it here and ready for the DirecTV installer.
Thank you. Sharon

Can someone move to D* forum?

I would think that D* should provide any reasonable equip needed to securely mount to a roof. Make sure they get one side into a stud versus just in the plywood, that should help. It also uses two strut arms to help with wind.

I have an install scheduled for the 25th, and am interested in how stable these are mounted to an exterior wall. I don't like to put dishes on the roof in my area - too much snow, have to have it low enough to hit it with a broom easily when lots of snow flies!

Per the other thread for the same topic & user:

They also make eave mounts and can be mounted on a chimney; that would not penetrate your roof.

Proc said:
Mine is on my garage roof. Make sure you use the monopoles (as I suggested via mail). Picture of mine here (and no, its not aimed at the trees, lol):

http://www.shoplikeaman.com/images/at9-1.jpg

Where did you put the grounding block?

I want to do a roof install and have the wires from dish go right into my attic to then go down to the basement via the PVC tube - but where do I put my grounding block?

The grounding blocks should be at or near the point of entry of the cables going into the attic.

The grounding wire should be preferbly at least 10 ga copper going outside of the house and down to the main panel ground. It should be bonded to the main grounding conductor.

tbone2004 said:
Where did you put the grounding block?

I want to do a roof install and have the wires from dish go right into my attic to then go down to the basement via the PVC tube - but where do I put my grounding block?

The grounding is block is just outside my house. From there, the coax goes into my basement and is distributed around the house. I ran the coax from the dish on my garage back to my house (about 30 feet). The coax lines are cable tied every 3 feet and are quite secure. Ironically, to keep the coax up in the air and supported, I have it cable tied to the old cable company coax that is still attached to the house. Works great.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts