Help! Signal Strength is Bouncing Wildly

8bitbytes

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
NoVA
I had to move my dish about 5 feet - I have set this thing up 5 times before. Now, when I get a signal, it bounces wildly or no signal at all. I have a 500 dish and the signal will go 35, 89, 56, 91, 45, 68, 89, 92, 71, etc... and it is always red, never green.

Anybody got any ideas I would really appreciate it!

Thank you

No, there is no splitter. All connections are the same as when it worked fine. Ok, so its probably the wrong satellite? Strange that the signal would bounce up and down like that. I've never seen it do that before. I'll work on it again and see if I can find the right satellite.

you're either on the edge of a tree or something but even so if it will not lock you are on the wrong sat. run a check switch it will tell you what you're hitting.
if you have a meter it's easy the order of the sats is:
dtv, 110, 119, 129

If its a consistant bouncing regardless of wether the wind is blowing the tree's or not then its not a los issue, more likely its a hardware issue or a bad connection.

When I have found bouncing signal such as his it has %95 of the time been a faulty lnbf or switch followed by a receiver and lastly a line or connection being the other %5.

Ok, Moved back, but...

I finally got it to pick up correctly again and I have it peaked on 110 but 119 says locked on wrong satellite - which way do I need to go to fix that? I have tried minor adjustments in elevation and azimuth but 119 won't go green.

Thanks!

if you get the 110 but not the 119 you need to move to the right. make sure your skew is correct. check on the point dish screen for that then move it and you should get it in. peak it on 119 not 110

Ok, after much dish adjusting, foil blocking, cable testing and tuner testing, I ran a cable straight from the 119 side of the DishPro Twin to receiver #1 and no signal is coming forth. I think the DishPro Twin is bad.

Sound right?

I checked the cables to the arrester block, the cables to the house jacks, the cables to the receiver, both receivers, the arrester block itself, the house jacks themselves, and then finally ran the line directly from the DPTwin for both sats to the receiver. All of this was last night so I will repeat everything again today. I think I understand the results of the testing correctly but then again, who knows.

When I switched the cables on the twin, the signal would bounce but when I switched the cables on the arrester, the signal evened out again. This is the one result that bugs me and I need to repeat everythign again to be sure.

I cannot get 119 to come in at all - can the DVR fail so that I can get 110 channels on both receivers but not 119? I can't get my head around it - still trying though. I need a step by step troubleshooter process to eliminate what is at fault here.

ALSO: When I say that 110 comes in strong, how do I get 119 and I am told to move the Dish to the right, is that farther south or farther north?

Thanks!

if you are getting 110 all and X on the second port then it is peaked on the 110.
when i say to move it to the right i mean if you are standing behind the dish move it to your right.

Ok, that's what I thought - so I move it to the right - millimeters, centimeters, it doesn't matter 119 is not to be found. Is this a problem with the receiver? Is it now unable to switch to 119 or something?

What is also a pain is that I'm supposed to set my dish to azimuth 239 - wrong, according to my compass, I get nothing until it is about 215.

I appreciate your perseverance with me on this - in my 8 years or so I have never had this much trouble with a 5 foot move. I have moved this dish to three different houses in its history but this one is killing me!

I have seen several receivers that would do the same exact thing and only show one out of two sats, 2 out of 3 sats, and 3 out of 4 sats. You described checking the lines and getting a stable signal after swapping the lines at the ground block then theres a problem with a section of line or the ground block or both also.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)