Help, strange problem with SONY Bravia

Marty43

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 18, 2005
Ogdensburg NY, Winter Haven Fl.
Equipment: Sony 32inch Bravia (model KDL-V32XBR1).and Echostar sat. receiver model DP301. I am waiting for new MPEG4 to be available, to add to this TV.
Location: in entertainment center located in unheated Florida room. here in Florida it has been cool last couple of weeks so morning temp. is about 50, warming to 70's later
in day.
Problem: This has been happening since I bought TV in early NOV. Problem is more noticeable in cool weather, but happens even in warm weather. The DP 301 is located on shelf about 6 inches below the TV. When I turn on the Bravia, my remote E* 1.5IR (113268) is unable to control the DP301. The remote is working because I can control Tv with it, change channels on OTA locals, change volume, mute and other functions. I CANNOT control the DP301, can't power off,can't change channels, can't bring up guide, can't do info. I
cannot do any function on the 301. Front panel buttons on 301 do work. After the TV has been on from about 5 minutes to 30 minutes everything works fine.
Trouble shooting technique:
1 st step: when problem is on machine I turn off Bravia, hit guide button on remote and turn tv back on, I have the quide up. I change channels with tv off and 301 changes channel ok. so remote is controling the 301 when tv is off.
2nd step: I got out old E* 3900 receiver and replaced 301 with it. Guess what same thing happens. Can't control the 3900 when tv is turned on. I also hooked up small portable tv to RF out on sat. recievers, so I could see what was happening when I had Bravia turned off.
3rd step: I moved the Sat. receivers away from Bravia. when I get the receivers about 3 to 4 feet away from the Bravia, everything works fine. Needless to say the receivers are not in the entertainment center anymore.
4th step: I bring from living room my E* 811 HD receiver and place it 6 inches below the Bravia in the entertaiment center. Everything works fine.
Conclusion: when I turn on the Bravia it is emmiting some kind of blocking signal that is jamming the Infared remote pickup electronics in the 3900 and 301. The 811 works fine because it is a UHF remote.
Oddity: temp. has an effect. when room is 50 the Bravia has to be on up to 30 minutes before sat. remote starts to work, when warm in room only about 5 minutes. When tv has been on for a couple of hours and turned off and right back on problem does not show up. Have to leave tv turned off about 15 minutes.
I know there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum so here are my
Questions
#1 anyone heard of this problem? any idea what componet would be bad in Bravia?
#2 do all Bravia's do this, is it a engineering problem in the TV
#3 is it a problem in E* IR remote systems not being shielded right or something
I believe the answers to 2 and 3 are no or I could find something on internet about this problem if other people were having it.
At first I thought I would just live with it as I would be putting a 411 on this Tv when it is available, but other day when reading about the 411, I see it is an IR remote machine. So I may have same problem with it.
Looking for many advice anyone can give me.
I know when I call SONY WARRANTY on this one they are going to think I am nuts, hope I can get them to come look at it.
Thanks for any input.

I have the same TV and I am having the same issue. The first week I had the TV I was using a 508 and I had these symptoms 2 or 3 times but I think that was due to weak batteries. Then I got a 942 and it exhibits these symptoms almost every night. I am in GA and the TV is in a heated room.

big daddy, yes mine will fail in a warm room but remote will start working quicker in a warm room. In a warm room about 5 minutes in a cool room about 20 to 30 minutes unless I move the E* reciever 3 feet away from tv. Looks like it could be a Bravia problem.

Check your owners manuals for any special IR feature that the Bravia may have such as communicating with other entertainment equipment by way of IR like some gear does out there. Its possible that the tv if it does have such a feature may be looking for other devices and there may be a setting in the menue to turn off that feature.

I have the same problem with my Samsung LCD LN-R408D with DP301 and 942but they both work fine on my LG Plasma. Maybe LCD's put out some kind of signal to block IR signals.

Marty, thank you for your post! I bought a Bravia a couple of weeks ago, and my IR stopped working on my 508. I never made a connection between the IR failure and the new TV because I didn't notice a problem until a week or two after I installed the TV.

Moving the 508 about four feet away from the Bravia seems to have solved the problem for me.

I never would have made the connection between the IR problem and the Bravia without your post, Marty. Thank you very much for taking the time to post your problem here.

If you have a 501, 508, 510, you can use the supplied uhf remote antenna on the receivers and keep them there in the entertainment center.

I have hooked up alot of receivers to lcd tv's this year and havent seen this issue yet so it sounds more like it is a model specific issue. Again I would suggest looking through the owners manuals for the tv sets inquestion and look for anything related to IR communications between the set and other devices used in home theater gear. There was a tv that if you turned it on by the front panel it would send out an uhf or IR signal I believe that would tell the remote to chirp so you could find it if it was lost.

The source of the problem is the "light sensor" that adjusts the television's display to the light level in the room. The manual does state, "Do not put anything near the sensor, as its function may be affected." I turned off the light sensor feature, and move the receiver back to its original location. With the light sensor feature turned off, the IR works fine.

Last edited:
The two problem tv's are Sony and Samsung which share the same LCD Production plant. Sounds like an issue with these only.

If the Bravia has some sort of IR blaster that sends out a competing signal that jams the Dish IR, try using a Digital Camera in a darkened room to see if there is a change in the IR signature of the Bravia. The digital camera trick is a good one for verifying that your IR remote control is working; the IR LED will be visible on your camera's LCD screen when it is transmitting.

I think it may be an issue with the Bravia's cold cathode backlight putting out too much IR when it is cold. Maybe Sony installed some IR heaters to quickly bring it up to operating temperature? Interesting observation, Marty.

Last night when I was reading through the manual, I ran across the page about the light sensor.
I had forgotten about that but did not think I had turned it ON. I checked this morning and it was on. So I used the menu to change it to OFF. I think, that has helped solve the problem a lot. Though when I first turn the TV on my E* remote still will not work but within about a minute it will. I do not believe my tv is trying to control some other remote. I can find nothing in book about that. I can set the SONY remote to control my SONY DVR and my E* receiver. The SONY remote will not control my sat. receiver until the tv has been powerd on a minute or so. Same problem as with the E* remote.
I still believe I still have the same problem when I first turn on tv but it clears up quicker with light sensor off.
I will try the camera trick, I never heard of that. Do I have to take a picture or just watch thru view finder.

It is amazing what you can learn on this forum. Thanks for the input.

Just look at the lcd display on your camera, recheck the settings for that light sensor and see if there is more than one option for it such as off, qucik set, normal, you get the idea.

the light sensor setting has ON and OFF only.

by the way this morning after set being off all night and room chilly about 50, I turned tv on, in less than 2 minutes the E* remote would work. Up until I turned off light sensor, it would be at least ten to fifteen minutes before it would work. So turning light sensor off, has helped, have not tried camera trick yet, going away for couple of days. You all have a nice Christmas

dishnett remote interferance with samsung LCD tV

I just bought samsung LCD TV, and noticed that my dishnet remote started acting crazy sometimes it will work and sometimes it will not work, have wait some time to press button on the remote to work.

Finally came across this post, which certanly helped me to figure out that the automatic sensor may be ON, today when I go home I will check for it and see after turning it OFF (the sensor). Dishenet remote works good or not.

cheers......

I had the same problem with my 26" Bravia and the Dish 6000. It started all of a sudden. Couldn't control the 6000.:mad: It stopped when I bought a Dish 411 to replace the 6000!!

I did try 1 thing and tried changing the Dish 6000 IR address from 1 to 3 to 6 to 10 with no relief. With in a couple of key strokes of the Sony TV remote, I could not do anything with the 6000. The only thing that would :( help is rebooting the 6000. That would work until I turned off the Sony but when I came back and tried to control the 6000 again NOTHING. :mad:

Also I am using the older Sony RX-3000 to control the TV now, but before I moved this remote from my "theater room" to my computer/radio room, I was using the Sony remote with no problems with the 411, the I go again jinxing myself!!!

SO, knock on wood!!!!, the 411 has not had a problem!!!!:) I am probably going to jinz my self now !!!!!!!!!!!!:(

Rich Dunklee
NR2D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts