HELP - "Stupid" install questions

nharmon

Original poster
Oct 28, 2008
I just have a few simple questions about HOW to do my install (and not let my installer screw me). I've been net surfing and trying to board surf here on satellite guys - but am still way confused.

I've ordered a VIP722 for a 2 tv setup with the Turbo HD Bronze package (incl local channels and DVR). I have 2 TV's...both flat panels...one in living room (LR_TV) and one in Bedroom (BR_TV).

When the dish is mounted, I assume there will be 2 cables running from it to the VIP722 (as it's dual Tuner). The VIP722 will be sitting in the living room next to LR_TV which I connect to via HDMI. Done with this....so far, so good (I think).

now HERE's what I don't get....i'll need a new (coax?) cable running from the back of the VIP722 to my flat panel in bedroom?

( I want to run up the walls and into attic for a clean looking install & need to know where to fish the lines through...am sure my installer won't give a flip as to the appearance and want to have my holes dug and outlets dropped ahead of time. )

I’m, assuming that I'm just doing coax run to the back of BR_TV as there wasn't another receiver or anything that looks like was ordered. I'll just turn it to CH 3 and controll it via the RF control?

QUESTIONS
- Can bedroom tv view HD, or is it standard def? The whole TV1/TV2 thing on the receiver has me confused. Is it that whatever tv (or both) are set to TV1 that they are getting HD....(and that TV2 is a SD tuner?)

- Can both TV's now "control" the DVR? i.e. set and watch recorded content from either TV?

- Can the TV’s watch different pre-recorded DVR content at the same time?

- Do I need to pay a 2nd "DVR Fee" to do the above (even though i only have 1 tuner?)

- I do have a 3rd TV in a guest room (that is used like 2 days a year) I didn't want to pay extra monthly fees for another receiver - is there any other way to add this into my mix?

if anyone could spare 3 minutes to answer there will be many karma points and blessings your way!
:)

Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!

QUESTIONS
- Can bedroom tv view HD, or is it standard def? The whole TV1/TV2 thing on the receiver has me confused. Is it that whatever tv (or both) are set to TV1 that they are getting HD....(and that TV2 is a SD tuner?)
SD only on the second TV

- Can both TV's now "control" the DVR? i.e. set and watch recorded content from either TV?
Yes

Also yes

- Do I need to pay a 2nd "DVR Fee" to do the above (even though i only have 1 tuner?)
There should be no DVR fee since you only have one receiver just the lease fee.

- I do have a 3rd TV in a guest room (that is used like 2 days a year) I didn't want to pay extra monthly fees for another receiver - is there any other way to add this into my mix?
You could split the signal from the TV2 output but then those TV's (#2 & 3) would have to watch the same programming

if anyone could spare 3 minutes to answer there will be many karma points and blessings your way!
Thanks, I need the karma points.;)

Hope this helps.:)

I'll anwer some of your questions. The bedroom tv will be connected via coax. Only SD viewing. You will be able to watch the HD channels, but it will not be HD. Both tv's can watch recroded shows - the same or different. Set the 722 to dual mode to accomplish this. I don't think there will be a 2nd dvr fee. You can go into the menu and allow both tuner 1 & tuner 2 to be viewed via the home distribution output. The third tv can be hooked up via coax also. Many saw just turn a 2 way splitter around - 1 feed in, 2 out & connect the tv's. Then any tv can watch tuner 1 or tuner 2 or recorded events.

That sd picture to the 2nd tv still looks really good if it is broadcast in hd. I have that kind of setup, 2 hd tvs with a cable to second tv and picture quality is excellent. You will only have one cable run to your dish receiver even though it has 2 tuners. Dish does it with a small separator between the cable and the tuners.

I've ordered a VIP722 for a 2 tv setup with the Turbo HD Bronze package (incl local channels and DVR). I have 2 TV's...both flat panels...one in living room (LR_TV) and one in Bedroom (BR_TV).

OK NP

When the dish is mounted, I assume there will be 2 cables running from it to the VIP722 (as it's dual Tuner). The VIP722 will be sitting in the living room next to LR_TV which I connect to via HDMI. Done with this....so far, so good (I think).

No there will probably only be one. Dish use tech that only needs on cable from the dish to a dual tuner now.

now HERE's what I don't get....i'll need a new (coax?) cable running from the back of the VIP722 to my flat panel in bedroom?

( I want to run up the walls and into attic for a clean looking install & need to know where to fish the lines through...am sure my installer won't give a flip as to the appearance and want to have my holes dug and outlets dropped ahead of time. )

If you already have cable in both rooms that run to a central location you wont need any other cables. With the use of diplexors TV2 can be connect to the receiver using the same line that the satellite signal comes in on. If you want wall fishes unless you are willing to pay extra no tech is going to do it for free.

I’m, assuming that I'm just doing coax run to the back of BR_TV as there wasn't another receiver or anything that looks like was ordered. I'll just turn it to CH 3 and controll it via the RF control?
You could run 5 coax lines (three lines for color control and two for audio) from the receiver to the BR_TV and then you would have Componet connections. If you set the 722 in single mode, both tv's would then get HD signals. They would be watching the same thing at the same time though.

QUESTIONS
TV1 is HD it has HDMI and Componet output, so you could hook 2 tv's up in HD at the same time. TV2 is SD only output.

Both TV1 & 2 controll DVR functions. If setup in dual mode they act as two seperate DVR's that store to a common drive. If setup in Single mode, both remots control the receiver as TV1.

Yes if unit is in dual mode.

There is only one DVR fee as you only have 1 DVR receiver.

As others have said you can split of the coaxial output of the Home Distribution output on the back of the receiver. Depending on what channel you set each tuner to output, you can watch TV1 or TV2 by placing the 3rd TV on the corect channel.

Spare Time?

TV2 can only view in SD as stated above, but I also wanted to make it clear that both satellite tuners can receive and record in HD, as well as the ATSC tuner if you have an OTA antenna connected. With such a setup you can record 3 HD channels at once while TV1 views a previously recorded HD show in HD, and TV2 views a previously recorded HD show in SD.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)