Help understanding coax run on multi-room system

kyparrish

Original poster
Nov 25, 2008
Hello!

New member here, thanks for all of the info you all provide.

I'm sure my question will be pretty easy for you guys to answer, but I can't get a straight answer from DishNetwork.

I want HD DVR service at my main site, and SD DVR service at my bedroom site. Sounds like the VIP-722 would be perfect for me, right? The problem is, I live in a 2 story slab house, with a plasma downstairs hung on an interior wall, and I have an LCD upstairs hung on an interior wall.

Now, it seems that I can have the HD DVR service at the main site with dual tuner functionality over just the 1 pre-run coax line. That is great. My problem is, there is no way on Earth to run a 2nd coax line from the box to the 2nd site the way my house is laid out. I've looked, my friends have tried

I used to hook up TV's and surround sound on the side, and I could have sworn that I saw DishNetwork setups with the multi-room system where there wasn't a second coax line run to the 2nd site. Is there some sort of filter or switch to be able to have the VIP-722 run my main site and my bedroom site without having to run any coax? Was I just seeing things?

Thanks for the help! I really want to switch from TimeWarner, but I don't want to have a box in my bedroom... I already have the coax run behind the wall for my LCD, and I don't have anywhere to put the set top box.

Thanks!

Assuming that the single coax you have going from the dish to the downstairs location can be tapped by the upstairs TV location, you can diplex the return RF signal from the 722's second output. You would need two Sat/RF diplexers. It might look something like this:

DISH
|
|
|
|
Diplexer ------> RF to Upstairs TV
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Diplexer <------ RF Out from 722 TV2
|
|
Splitter
| |
| |
| |
(dual Sat inputs to 722)

Assuming that the single coax you have going from the dish to the downstairs location can be tapped by the upstairs TV location, you can diplex the return RF signal from the 722's second output. You would need two Sat/RF diplexers. It might look something like this:

DISH
|
|
|
|
Diplexer ------> RF to Upstairs TV
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Diplexer <------ RF Out from 722 TV2
|
|
Splitter
| |
| |
| |
(dual Sat inputs to 722)

Thank you very much noremac! After reading your post, I knew what to look for, and it is amazing to me that the Dish Pro Plus equipment can utilize both the seperator for the 2 satellite inputs, as well as backfeed a signal using 2 diplexers on the same run of coax.

Our house was built in 1998, with coax outlets in 4 of the rooms, so I'm assuming they all come to a central location on the outside of my garage. I think I'll be a good candidate for this setup.

Would anybody like to recommend a local installer to me in the Charlotte, NC area (zip 28273)? Thanks again!

Call local RETAILERS in your area.

You should find one that does a free site survey and get comfy with.

fred