Help - understanding my 722 setup

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

youngcrv

Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
North Carolina
I had 2 722 DVRs setup by Dish installers a few years back. With the upcoming price increase on a 2nd 722 DVR, I decided to cancel the 2nd DVR (since it was on a TV that my family uses only 10% of the time) -- with the idea of possibly using the remaining DVR's TV2 out to use on the the 2nd TV when we need to watch something on it.

So, I called Dish and cancelled my 2nd 722 DVR.

My problem: When I unplug thisn 2nd 722 DVR ... it causes the reception on the 1st 722 DVR (downstairs) to no longer get a signal! The 1st DVR then starts this really long search for satellites ... when it finishes it doesn't have reception. When I plug back in the 2nd 722 DVR (the one that no longers gets any real programming), the downstairs 722 DVR works as it should.

I'm pretty much a newbie who doesn't understand what is going on? Can anyone enlighten me on what's happening and how I can unplug my 722 that is no longer getting programming while still having my remaining 722 work. Much appreciated.

Plug the disconnected 722 in where the working 722 is and see if it still works there. If it works you have a bad 722 if it dosen't work you probably have a wiring problem.

Look for a DPP44 switch powered by the 722, if so, then switch the bottom cables so the remaining 722 is powering the switch on port 1. If there's a power inserter with the disconnected 722, also move it to the remaining 722.

I had 2 722 DVRs setup by Dish installers a few years back. With the upcoming price increase on a 2nd 722 DVR, I decided to cancel the 2nd DVR (since it was on a TV that my family uses only 10% of the time) -- with the idea of possibly using the remaining DVR's TV2 out to use on the the 2nd TV when we need to watch something on it.

I have two 722s and my bill will be going up by $1.01 so it probably isn't going to save you much.

Mark

Under the new pricing structure, cancelling my second 722 will save me $17/mo plus tax. My family uses this second TV only about 10% of the time (90% of the viewing is on our bigger TV). That was enough to get us to cancel the 2nd receiver.

If I can get the 1st 722 to send its TV2 Out to the 2nd TV, even better.

Under the new pricing structure, cancelling my second 722 will save me $17/mo plus tax. My family uses this second TV only about 10% of the time (90% of the viewing is on our bigger TV). That was enough to get us to cancel the 2nd receiver.

If I can get the 1st 722 to send its TV2 Out to the 2nd TV, even better.
Your knowledge of the price increase is incomplete. As said before, your bill will only increase $1.00 (if you've been connected to phone line...$6.00 if not. See this:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/calc.htm

Thanks for clarifying the price increase. I guess I was misinformed that I'd be seeing a $5 jump. Still, its allowed me to think about how my family doesn't use our second 722 (sometimes its only turned on once per week) and I'm okay with not having it.

KAB if you go to the calculator and punch in 2 722's vs 1 722, you will find that the OP was correct, he will save $17 plus tax by cancelling the 722.
Well, I have punched in my two 722's many times (and just now). Every time, one dollar...as did mjstraw and MANY other people. Check out the Update price increase thread. Did you include DHPP. Even if you did it would not come out to $17.00

Well, I have punched in my two 722's many times (and just now). Every time, one dollar...as did mjstraw and MANY other people. Check out the Update price increase thread. Did you include DHPP. Even if you did it would not come out to $17.00

Are you comparing ONE 722 vs TWO 722's? The OP is canceling one of the boxes.

We're talking about how much his bill would change if he kept everything the way it is now,
not if he drops one receiver.

From previous discussions, I was under the impression that an extra 722 would be more expensive than it currently was. From the calculator, I realize that the extra 722 is not going to change much in price.

All the same, it looks like I could save $12 plus tax by dropping my 2nd 722, and - for my situation - it probably makes sense since our 2nd TV is much more a "Wii" TV than anything else and our first TV is the main Dish TV (its a much bigger LCD TV). I'm also realizing that there is a way for the small occassions that I want to use the 2nd TV for Dish to use it by utilizing the remaining 722's TV2 out.

Now, if I can just get passed being such a newbie and figure out the way these things are networked thru my home's cable connections, I'll be okay.

Actually I'm a Dish Absolute HD subscriber. By my calculation, $12 + tax/mo. Over $144/year.

Nope. Your doing something wrong with the calculator. Since there is no Absolute option, use Turbo Gold...adjust as necessary between the two.

For programming I did AT 250 with G & P HD, Locals with two 722's, the bill goes DOWN $.96 a month.

Take off the second 722 and it goes up $.02 a month.

It's actually cheaper to keep her!

Be careful with the calculator. It tends to get screwed up when you change too many things. To get (new) pricing for a different configuration (ie dropping the second 722) do a "clear" and start over.

If you have "Gold 250 with DVR", which is going away, you loose the .98 discount on each of the two DVR fees so end up with a $1.01 increase.

If your only 722 dies, you are gonna kick your self in the a** when the second one for an extra $12 a year could be your back-up while waiting 3-5 days for a replacement. Get it reactivated!!!!!

To calculate Absolute, select dish HD for programming and add locals if necessary on programming page, that does Absolute for you.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)