Help w/ a 2 TV "mirrored" setup

TimKaz

Original poster
Mar 13, 2013
Central Virginia
So I'm getting the hopper on Saturday. Currently I have a VIP722 w/ 2 rooms running of that box. In one of the rooms I split the coax signal to 2 TVs sorta like a bar would have w/ multiple TVs.

The CSR at dish said that this setup would still work w/ the hopper and joeys. After much searching I don't see how to get the output to 2nd TV in the room. I'm going to have 1 Hopper & 2 Joeys for three rooms, but 1 room has 2 TVs.

Any thoughts, :confused:

Thanks, Tim

The room with 2 TVs will have a joey? Are they HDTVs?

You can do it with a couple of possible ways.

1. You'll just need an rf modulator to turn the joey output from composite to coax. Then you can split that line to both TVs.
2. TV1 on hdmi, TV2 on composite (I haven't done this, but I am pretty sure that both outputs are live at the same time).

The room with 2 TVs will have a joey? Are they HDTVs?

You can do it with a couple of possible ways.

1. You'll just need an rf modulator to turn the joey output from composite to coax. Then you can split that line to both TVs.
2. TV1 on hdmi, TV2 on composite (I haven't done this, but I am pretty sure that both outputs are live at the same time).

They are both HDTVs, one is only 720p. The Room w/ 2 TVs will have the hopper.

New Info: I'll probably being switching the 720p for a 40" Toshiba 1080p hdtv.

If i split the hdmi signal will that adversely affect the Image quality on the "main", 59" plasma HDTV?

Last edited:
If the Hopper is being used, then perhaps you can use the COMPONENT + RED/WHITE RCA AUDIO for the closest one, and run HDMI to the further one.

Not clear on what you mean by 2 cables?

When using an RF Modulator to mirror a Joey to another room you need two coax cables. One coming from the satellite going to the Joey and one from the Joey to the second TV. If the TVs are close enough you just run component cables to one TV and an HDMI cable to the other, this is the best way if you want both in HD.

Edit: The Joey doesn't have component outputs, so composite to one and HDMI to the other.

The TV closest is my best/main TV(Samsung 59" Plasma 3D) so i would hate to connect that w/ the composite.

You can but composite is downrezzed sd, you would want the component as these carry the signal in HD. But it would be easier to run the HDMI the longer distance since the one wire carries video and audio feed, component with audio would use five wires. You should be able to find both types that long.

Thanks again for all the help.

@KyDave - thanks for the clarification on the cables. I knew what you meant just I used the wrong words. :popcorn

Update: Checked monoprice and i can get a 50' component w/ L/R audio for $18.

Gotcha, and I completely missed the 3D part of your main tv, (oops) so yeah, you are right about HDMI there. And great price on that 50ft combo cable!

Well upon installation the Tech from Dish said that this setup would not work. I thanked him and quietly disagreed. After he left I hooked up the 2nd HDTV w/ a 3 ft component cable w/ L/R audio to test and both HDMI & Component signal looked great simultaneously. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts