Help!! Want DVR for directv, but no land phone line

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

somedumbgeek

Original poster
Apr 10, 2004
I have direct tv. I want a DVR.. But I don't have a phone line to download Tivo's guide data. Our family switched to all cell phones several years back.

I am not all that attached to the idea of Tivo, since older DVRs used to get their guide data from free resources like the TV Guide channel. But if I need to have Tivo, I will if I can get it to work.

So, does anyone know of any DVRs that download from the feed or download via the internet (have a high speed connection) and is not a DVR computer?

Thanks!

somedumbgeek said:
ISo, does anyone know of any DVRs that download from the feed or download via the internet (have a high speed connection) and is not a DVR computer?

Thanks!

ReplayTV's DVR's allow for internet connections for downloads, they come with an ethernet NIC installed. You can also share programming between Replay's on the same LAN without having to pay an extra change like Tivo's HMO. Too bad they don't make a box with in intergrated DBS tuner.

you will want to get a phone line, DirecTV just isn't the same without a DirecTivo. If you go and put say a ReplayTV unit on your sat box, you will be locked out of watching any other channel while you record, since you only have one sat tuner. go for the DirecTivo, make it work, get a phone line.

The DirecTiVo's get their guide data from the satellite so you only need to hook it to a phone line to get the initial software download and future software updates. If you know someone that has DirecTV with a phone line you could just use their setup for the downloads and then take it home. There is more info at Tivocommunity.com if you want to try to hook a DirecTiVo into the internet for its downloads but that would require some playing with the software and I think you have to use the older series one DirecTivo. I have not had any problems when I leave my DirecTivo's off the phoneline they just give you a message once in a while to hook them back up but they still work fine.

Your kidding... I must have asked a dozen people at different sattelite places about this. They all said that the tivo needed to dial in like every night...

Now I just need to figure out how to get an exchange on the hardware. I am only about 4 months in on my current hardware, which was free with new subscription.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)