Help - Watch Dish Network on Computer

tgdsilva

Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
USA
Hi,

I got Dish Network installed for the first time in my house this week. I like to watch the programs on my computer. What do I need to watch Dish Network program on my computer?

Here is why I am asking: I have one monitor with three inputs (VGA, DVI, and HDMI 1080p) and one standard definition TV. Dish Network gave me VIP 722 Receiver. I currently watch Dish Network programs by connecting the output of the VIP 722 HDMI port to the HDMI input port on the monitor. However, when I am watching Dish Network programs, I can't work on the computer at the same time. So, I would like to have the capability of routing the output of the 722 HDMI port to the computer and then watch via the computer so I can work on the computer as well.

I assume I would need some type of TV Tuner card. What is the best TV tuner card to get to work with VIP 722 to get HD quality? Does TV tuner cards have HDMI input?

Please help!

Thanks,
Tom

The best option for you is a Slingbox. I think it's the only way to get HD to your desk, but since you're multi-tasking, you don't need HD. Any $35 capture card would work (preferably with an S-Video input) to watch video in a window, but a true HD option will wind up costing as much as a Slingbox.

thank you.

since tuner is inside vip722, i would assume i don't need another tuner (TV tuner).

are capture cards and tv tuner cards different? if so, can you point me to one just to see what capture cards look like?

Most analog TV tuner cards include video capture, but not all. Many video capture cards do not include tuners anymore, because ATSC (digital) tuner chips are more expensive than NTSC (analog) tuner chips.

A Slingbox Solo is the ideal tool for you, and can be had for $140 on Amazon.com. It's expensive, but the cool thing about a Slingbox is that you can control your 722 from anywhere in the WORLD. A Slingbox Pro (HD) is more like $240. The Pro also includes an ATSC/ClearQAM tuner, so you can also use it to watch your local TV live...from anywhere in the WORLD.

As a proof of concept, to help you answer the question, "Do I really need/will I really use this?" I'd start with one of these:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/EasyCap-Capture-Adapter-Editor-Software/dp/B001BWU8US/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1237486817&sr=8-2]Amazon.com: EasyCap USB 2.0 Video Capture Adapter with Video Editor Software: Electronics[/ame]

You'll also want an appropriate-length "RCA & S-Video Combo Cable". Follow that link for inexpensive ones (50' for $12.03).

You have to run S-Video and stereo cable from the TV2 output on the 722, so if the 722 is in "Single" mode, both the HDTV and your capture card will display the same stuff. You can also put the 722 in "Dual" mode, and the S-Video cable will carry different stuff than the HDTV output (this is where the 6.3 UHF remote comes in handy).

good stuff. thanks for the link as well.

i like the sling box idea, but i always thought that sling box would have to go over the Internet. is it not the case? i would rather not send the signal from VIP722 over the Internet and then bring it back to the computer which is stilling two feet away.

if i get a slingbox, i would perfer the pro version with ATSC/ClearQAM tuner (and watch local channels?). how would i watch local channels? just by connecting the coax cable from from the cable tv to sling box pro? will i still need an antenna on the roof for the local chanels?

Why not just get another monitor and leave the 722 connected via HDMI to the first and the computer to the 2nd monitor? Then you can use your computer on one screen and watch TV on the other screen at the same chair.

It's cheaper than buying a slingbox and since you don't like the idea of sending it over the internet you get a good picture on both. I just bought a 20" LCD monitor off Newegg.com for like $120 and it's great.

slingbox only uses the internet if the viewer is in a remote location. On a local network you can crank the settings up and get a really good picture.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts