Help -- wind problem

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rv1pop

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Help -- wind problem solved

I got the Glorystar package this morning and got it all together and mounted on the edge of my power shed. I got Daystar tuned in and had the unit tightened down as the wind was picking up and suddenly I had nothing. the bolts holding the the post clamp to the elevation bracket popped off and the post clamp tightening both stripped out. The wind is moderate, only 30 mph and I was told this could take over 100 mph. We get 45 to 50 mph almost every morning and evening...

Last edited:
I got the Glorystar package this morning and got it all together and mounted on the edge of my power shed. I got Daystar tuned in and had the unit tightened down as the wind was picking up and suddenly I had nothing. the bolts holding the the post clamp to the elevation bracket popped off and the post clamp tightening both stripped out. The wind is moderate, only 30 mph and I was told this could take over 100 mph. We get 45 to 50 mph almost every morning and evening...

The bolts are known as carriage bolts in the fastener industry. Most carriage bolts sold are mild 1018 low carbon steel. You need at least SAE grade 5 or automotive alloy quality. They can be purchased from a fastener supplier or an industrial supplier like Grainger. They are NOT available at most hardware stores.

well, I got new bolts in and when I got them finger tight, they held! After I got both lnb's focused in and got a chance to look at the old bolt heads, I saw the square shanks were way too long. When I put them through the square holes, through the slots and through the washers, the square was still sticking through and would not let the nut even touch the metal surface... The vendor supplied very defective bolts. But, now I got it working. Only thing is I have no video on Miracle Channel. Got signal level 90%, Quality 36 %.. I will try to find out why.

Could you snap a few photos of the carriage bolts that have long shanks in the installed position? We cannot figure out what supplied bolts would be causing this problem. We have triple checked the hardware kits trying to find a combination of hardware that could cause this problem.

Thank you!

I am looking to see if I can find the old bolts. Since I started this saga we have erected a 30 X 72 X 16 foot steel building so a lot of stuff has been moved around, especially tools and parts. AND it started raining and is getting muddy! I will take pictures of two new bolts that show the differences, as the new longer bolt had the small shoulder as the old bolt had! But right now we are trying to finish the roof and doors before the wind comes up again.
Thanks for the investigation.
Having been in QA for 10+ years, this did look like a one person / one shift (monday morning) problem. POP

Could you snap a few photos of the carriage bolts that have long shanks in the installed position? We cannot figure out what supplied bolts would be causing this problem. We have triple checked the hardware kits trying to find a combination of hardware that could cause this problem.

Thank you!

I have installed a few glory star systems... and I have snapped quite a few of the bolts off. I guess I am used to Wildblue, dish, ect... but I snapped off quite a few. All over the place. I broke 1 of the adjustment bolts off of the mast. and 3 or 4 off the back of the dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)