Help with 522

glubfish

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 7, 2005
Dish wants to charge me $14.95 to exchange a faulty box that I've had for the last 4 years. They told me it is my responsibility to maintain it. Are they kidding me or what? It has sat in the same place, for all 4 years. I dust it. Are they trying to tell me I need to open up the box and try to fix it myself? Give me a break. Boxes go bad without any help from anyone over time and without abuse. Have you guys heard anything about the policy of charging the customer $14.95 to return a broken receiver?

Dish wants to charge me $14.95 to exchange a faulty box that I've had for the last 4 years. They told me it is my responsibility to maintain it. Are they kidding me or what? It has sat in the same place, for all 4 years. I dust it. Are they trying to tell me I need to open up the box and try to fix it myself? Give me a break. Boxes go bad without any help from anyone over time and without abuse. Have you guys heard anything about the policy of charging the customer $14.95 to return a broken receiver?
You've got four choices. 1) Don't exchange it and have a non-working receiver. 2) Accept the very reasonable $14.95 cost to exchange your 4 year old unit for a refurb 522 or 625. 3) Enroll in the DHPP and pay the monthly cost and then exchange your 522. 4) Buy a used 522/625 off of ebay and hope for the best.

$14.95 is the shipping and handling.

Do you own this box? If so, it's like your TV and VCR, neither of those manufacturers would give you a new one for $15.

If you don't pay for it that way, then you pay for it with higher programming costs. DISH would just add these expenses to their bottom line and that means charging more each month to arrive at the same profit. Would you rather pay the $15 or subsidize every subscriber that ever gets their receiver replaced for "free".

$14.95 is the shipping and handling.

Do you own this box? If so, it's like your TV and VCR, neither of those manufacturers would give you a new one for $15.

If you don't pay for it that way, then you pay for it with higher programming costs. DISH would just add these expenses to their bottom line and that means charging more each month to arrive at the same profit. Would you rather pay the $15 or subsidize every subscriber that ever gets their receiver replaced for "free".

If it was me, I'd threaten to cancel. In most cases your workorder will be "escalated" and after some discussion, you'll receive your replacement for free

If it was me, I'd threaten to cancel. In most cases your workorder will be "escalated" and after some discussion, you'll receive your replacement for free

Apparently you don't understand what a subsidy is. If DISH subsidizes the cost of replacing receivers, they'll just add it to the monthly bill of all subscribers.

Why should someone whose receiver has never needed replacing incur a higher monthly subscriber charge just because someone else demanded free replacement?

No. I understand completely what a subsidy is. And who's to say that sort of thing hasn't happened already? Your rhetorical question aside, you've installed long enough to know that sort of thing happens.

A lot!!

So you're saying the OP should take the high road based on principal? I completely disagree. If Dish has no problem passing out freebies, and all it takes is a "squeaky wheel", then I say more power to whomever is able to accomplish that task. Dish opened up this Pandora's Box a long time back. And there's no closing it

unbeleiveable what people b***** about.

i suppose if i gave you $100 you would complain if i gave it to you in one's. sheesh.

I had some loser attack me on my lunch break the other day about how he thought it was B.S. that we charge $99 to come out and fix "our" equipment when it breaks, after all he pays his monthly bill. First I gave him my usual response, that I am on an UNPAID lunch break, and to call the 1800 number on my van. He persisted to harass me so I asked him if he had a car (which at a gas station tends to be a no brainer) he of course said yes. I asked him if he pays a gas station regularly to keep the car running? again yes. So then I said. "And of course, when your car breaks, the Gas station dispatches a service technician to your house for $99, fixes everything wrong with it, and guarantees that it will not break (even the parts he didn't touch) for 90 days?" He just stood there and looked at me dumbfounded... Some people just don't understand just how good they have it.

All I know is that it's not my fault the box is broken. Comcast replaces them for free when you lease a box. It's a cost of doing business. Since I live in Denver, they could allow me to pick it up and therefore, I wouldn't have any charge but they don't allow this. If they want paid for their service, the box should work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)