Help with 622 functionality?

Virus

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
I'm having a love/hate relationship with my 622. It's nice, but it's very different from my previous HD Tivo.

Under preferences, if I set recording to TV1 as the default, I cannot change channels. I get a message saying that if I want to change it will stop my current recording. If I change that setting to TV2, I can record and change stations.

1) Is this normal?
2) If TV2 is set as the default recording device, how can I stop the recording once it's started?
3) How do I even get to TV2?

I tried hitting the DVR button, but I can't delete it until I stop it and I can't figure out how to stop it.

If you're watching what's recording on TV1 then you cannot change the channel. If you're in single mode you can hit the swap button which will then put you over to the other tuner.

If you're in dual mode you've got to go to the other television to watch a different channel, provided nothing is recording there.

If you're in single mode no matter what tuner you're on you can go to my recordings and open the recording in progress and stop it from the menu.

Cheers,
Sam

Post would take too long to explain everything to you here. I would recommend you read chapters 8 & 9 in the manual. If you have a specific question after trying to understand all that: ask question again. Sounds too much like you're trying to do things in the manner you are used to E*'s DVR in very unlike tivo.

pdxsam said:
If you're in dual mode you've got to go to the other television to watch a different channel, provided nothing is recording there. ...

Could you not switch to Single Mode and view a different channel?

pdxsam said:
If you're watching what's recording on TV1 then you cannot change the channel. If you're in single mode you can hit the swap button which will then put you over to the other tuner.

If you're in dual mode you've got to go to the other television to watch a different channel, provided nothing is recording there.

If you're in single mode no matter what tuner you're on you can go to my recordings and open the recording in progress and stop it from the menu.

Cheers,
Sam

Fantastic. This is all I needed. I can't believe I didn't try that. From the information you posted, I gather it would be more beneficial for me to get another receiver instead of using the TV2 out feature?

Virus said:
Fantastic. This is all I needed. I can't believe I didn't try that. From the information you posted, I gather it would be more beneficial for me to get another receiver instead of using the TV2 out feature?
That depends on your needs. If it's just you in the house, single mode should git-r-done for ya.

hello all...

i'm new here and have done some searching, but i'm still confused by dish's dual tuner (622 hd-dvr).

i'm currently a d* subscriber, but am putting my feelers out for the best, comprehensive hd service in the coming months...

i have 3 tv's hooked up to D* (1) sd-dvr....can record 2 programs at once (2) hd stb (samsung ts-160) on which i also receive ota channels (3) sd-stb

if i go with dish's 622 will i be able to record 2 channels at the same time (if using 622 on 1 or 2 tv's)? if using on 2 tv's and not watching on tv2, can i record 2 programs on tv1?

can i watch recorded programs on either tv1 or tv2 if i recorded on tv1?

can i record 3 programs at the same time if recording ota?

this concept of the dual tuner is very confusing to me....

i've tried to read thru the 942 manual (couldn't find the 622 manual) and it's still not very clear...

thanks for any feedback!

dave

firstly :welcome
your first decision with the 942 or 622.
Do i want to connect 2 TVs to it ? If yes then you select Dual mode.
That means you can watch different programs on each different TV using each tuner independtly.
If you say no and run in single mode then you can watch 1 channel, and record another at the same time (thus using both tuners)
On top of that regardless of 1 TV or 2 you can record using the tuners and playback via the DVR to the tvs. so you could be watching 1 (previously recorded) and recording 2.

On top of All of this the 942/622 have an OTA tuner built in. Unfortunately i have never used it, as i cant get OTA HD, and so am not familiar with all the additional recording options this gives you. BUT there are many posts on this forum that do describe all the options. Suggest using search and browsing around, you will find all sorts of other tidbits that will help you

I have never seen tivo but have seen posts that say it is not. However the E* dual tuner dvr's are very flexible give a great no of options and the user interface is quite easy to use once you are used to it.

Just wanted to add that with the 942/622, you can record two satellite channels at once, as well as an OTA channel, so three total. Even with all three recording, you are still able to watch a recorded program on your TV (if in single mode), or on TV1 and TV2 if in dual mode.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts