Help with a 1K.4

AJ16

Original poster
May 10, 2013
United States
Hi guys,

Doing some work on the house and decided to move my DISH 1000.4 and am having some problems in aiming in the new location and was wondering if anyone may have some assistance. I'm not sure if I'm obstructed or not but figure someone with a little more experience may be able to give me some tips.

I'm plumb on the mast and have everything set to where it should be per DishPointer but can only seem to get 61.5 on the left-hand LNB (when looking at it), which I'm 99% sure should be the 77 LNB. I've verified this by pulling up the point dish screen and covering and uncovering only that LNB and watching the signal drop in and out. The switch is cleared (no sats installed) and it's confirmed 61.5 as the signal on the point dish screen.

Based on that, does anyone have any idea what moves I should be making? I think I'm a bit too high on the EL and still not pointing far enough east, but I'm not sure. Just looking for some tips so I don't have to schedule a service appointment.

Thanks in advance!

Left hand LNB when looking at it from which direction? The 61.5 LNB is the one set off from the other two. I believe the procedure is to tune 72.7 first. It's the center one.

Check out the attached tech bulletin for 1000.4 installation

Attachments

• Eastern%20Arc%20technical%20bulletin.pdf
    557.2 KB · Views: 213
The azimuth cam is the key to getting the best signal on both 72.7 and 77 sats. IF you adjust it up to 3 degrees either left or right you should get the best signal for both. I did my original install in 2008 using the installation instructions. It took time and I had to re-read several times how to do the azimuth cam ,but once I got it right ,it worked well. I had to install my 1000.4 dish a second time after hurricane Ike. I got good signals on all 3 sats and haven't lost it since.

Thanks so far for the assistance - where I'm at right now is that I'm receiving only the 61.5 signal on the LNB that should be receiving 77. This is the left LNB of the two that are close together when looking at the LNB assembly from the coax side.

I'm starting to think I'm blocked - no matter what I try, I can't get anything to light up on the center LNB. I used foil out the outside two LNBs to try to get anything on the center LNB and can't get squat. I doubt its LOS but I can't figure out why I'm able to get 61.5 on the other LNB but not the center - not sure if the reflected angle is susceptible to LOS issues or not.

If you were moving the dish on the same property, you shouldn't have needed to reset anything. If you changed anything more than half a degree from the old setup, you probably did more harm than good.

The typical issue with fiddling with aiming dishes is reading the elevation wrong. The reading is taken by reading the sheet metal edge behind the scale as opposed to the bolt head or some other reference point.

It would help to have at least a Zip code and the elevation and skew figures that you used to see if you're in the ballpark.

you are pointed too low and too far east already

Thanks - this is the type of feedback I was looking for. If I could hit 61 on the center LNB I don't think I'd have a problem but I wasn't 100% sure if the reflected angle could be blocked on one LNB while open on another or not.

Thanks - this is the type of feedback I was looking for. If I could hit 61 on the center LNB I don't think I'd have a problem but I wasn't 100% sure if the reflected angle could be blocked on one LNB while open on another or not.
With an EA dish, 61.5 should always make an appearance on the westernmost feed horn. To jerry-rig it is going to cause someone similar suffering in the future thinking that it was done right.

Not jerry-rigging anything, trying to peak it correctly, which is why I'm here. I'm not going to leave it if I can't get it myself - figured I could just save myself a headache without having to miss work to have a service appointment scheduled.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)