help with choosing satellite provider

Zoe88

Original poster
Aug 13, 2015
Utah
Hi all,

I'm looking for some help with choosing a satellite provider. I've looked at a bunch of comparison sites, but that just left me more confused.

Here are my needs: I usually just stream TV, but I miss watching some shows live. I like news and entertainment channels most (CNN, BBC, E!, MTV). I don't need a crazy amount of channels or anything.

Appreciate any advice you can offer!

Zoe

Either Dish or Direct could serve you well I suspect.
Dish currently has a pretty good deal if you've looked. The Top 120 and a DVR for about $50/month for the 2 years of a contract. Check to see what channels are included at their site.
DirecTV's current deals are reduced pricing for a year and then a big increase at the end of that year. You are obligated for 2 years just as with Dish.
From a money standpoint I would think Dish wins hands down. The only other big consideration is which one has the channels you want at the price you want to pay.

Reactions: Zoe88
The Hopper from Dish is also (in my opinion) superior to the equipment that DirecTV offers. Sling is a great feature if you'd like to watch your TV or recordings away from home.

Sounds like DISH will fit your needs the best.

Either Dish or Direct could serve you well I suspect.
Dish currently has a pretty good deal if you've looked. The Top 120 and a DVR for about $50/month for the 2 years of a contract. Check to see what channels are included at their site.
DirecTV's current deals are reduced pricing for a year and then a big increase at the end of that year. You are obligated for 2 years just as with Dish.
From a money standpoint I would think Dish wins hands down. The only other big consideration is which one has the channels you want at the price you want to pay.

Thanks. That's really helpful. Have you heard of big price hikes after two years with Dish like with DTV?

Thanks. That's really helpful. Have you heard of big price hikes after two years with Dish like with DTV?

What they will be at the end of 2 years is just guesswork based on history. You could ask them what the discount is and that would tell you what the retail of the offer is right now. But here's why there's no reason to really worry:
1. The contract is for 2 years. At the end you call to get best price, if it isn't good, switch services.
2. Assuming that you switch, you'll get a good deal from whoever you switch to.

And here's the real kicker! All of the cable/sat services are in a bit of a pickle as the viewing public changes where and how they get their TV fix. What that means to you is most likely in 2 years, they will be ready to dicker a bit. Heck, they do now! In my opinion, I wouldn't worry about what will happen in 2 years at all.

The 2 yr $49.99 price lock offer from dish can't be beat imo. It includes America's top 120+(rsn's), 1 hopper w/sling or other qualifying receiver, 4 premiums free for 3 months (Hbo, Cinemax, Showtime & Dish movie pack), protection plan free for 6 months. On top of that your choice of either Multi-sport w/Redzone or Netflix, 1 or the other free for 12 months.

Re Netflix:
Customers who already have a Netflix® subscription will receive can apply the Netflix® credit to their existing account. Existing Netflix® customers who choose this offer will return to being charged for their Netflix® service after the credit is depleted.

Re Multisport:
The Multi-Sport w/ RedZone® package will be removed from the customer’s account after 12 months unless the customer calls to subscribe.

Refer a friend can be used in combination with this offer as well. Also you have to do e-bill with auto pay, for most that isn't a big deal.

Good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)