Help with complicated setup upgrade from 722s to Hopper

mr_mark95

Original poster
Jun 7, 2012
Central NC
I currently have three 722s which are connected to nine TVs in our house. I have a three story setup where the three 722s are independent.

Basement - Two lines in. One to 722 and one to OTA. This gives me three tuners. There are two TVs. The 722 TV1 feeds one and the TV2 feeds the other. Basic setup.

Main Floor - Two lines in. One to 722 and one to OTA. This gives me three tuners. There are four TVs. The 722 TV1 feeds one and the TV2 feeds a second one. I split the output of TV1 and TV2 to feed two other TVs in other rooms through coax. The 3rd TV can only see TV2 and I like the fact that I can use the TV2 remote in that room to also change the channel. The 4th TV can see TV1 or TV2. I can use the TV2 remote if using TV2 tuner but if using TV1 tuner I can not use the remote since it needs line of sight (not a problem).

3rd Floor - Two lines in. One to 722 and one to OTA. This gives me three tuners. There are three TVs. The 722 TV1 feeds one and the TV2 feeds a second one. I split the output of TV1 to the third one.
I can use the TV2 remote if using TV2 tuner but if using TV1 tuner I can not use the remote since it needs line of sight (not a problem).

I currently have nine tuners. With the 3rd floor the kids have left the nest so that configuration can change. I do not need the dedicated tuners up there. I need to keep the main floor and basement separate for the in-law suite.

My first thought was to just keep the basement as is with the 722 and add a Hopper/Joey setup to the main and 3rd floor. Will Dish allow this? I have read different things about this. My thought was to add one hopper to the main floor with an OTA. I would add one Super Joey to the second TV. I would split the output from the super joey so that I can also feed a 3rd TV on that floor. I assume since the rooms are side by side the super joey remote could be used in each room. I would split the signal out of the hopper to the 4th one. It is fine is that room just shows what is on the hopper. I only have coax runs to the 3rd and 4th TV. Is this a problem based on the outputs on the hopper and the super joey?

I would add a wireless joey to the 3rd floor. I have no coax runs to the 3rd floor from the main floor hopper. I would split the output from the wireless joey to all three TVs up there. It is fine is all three just show what is on the wireless joey. I only have coax runs to the second and third TVs. Can I split the signal okay out of the wireless joey?

With this hopper setup I will get five tuners including the OTA correct? One is dedicated to Prime. The other four can be shared by hopper/joey depending on recording and viewing. With two 722s I get six so I am losing one basically correct?

Here is my current charges. What will my new cost be?

America's Everything Pack 126.99
HD/SD (2TV) DVR Receiver 17.00
HD/SD (2TV) DVR Receiver 17.00
Blockbuster@Home 10.00
Protection Plan 8.00
DVR Service 7.00
HD Free For Life (reg $10) 0.00

Unfortunately you cannot mix Vip(except up to 2 211's) with a hopper account. You can do 1 hopper with as many necessary joeys for the "in law suite", and then a duo hopper setup with how many necessary joeys for upstairs to achieve what you are looking for. It is going to cost more though.

I would consider going with two Hoppers, both with OTA modules, a Wireless Joey and whatever regular Joeys you would need for your other TVs. This would give you six tuners along with two OTA tuners. You can mirror a Hopper or a Joey but you will need an RF Modulator since none of the Hopper equipment has coax outputs. You may want to look into this setup and see if it fits your needs.

So if I did a 2 hopper/3 joey system would this be my cost?

DVR Service $10 (includes first hopper)
Extra Hopper, one super joey, one regular joey, and one wireless joey = $7 each or $28 per month.

Total = $38

My two extra 722s are $17 each = $34. So it would cost me $4 extra per month.

What are the upfront equipment costs?

So if I did a 2 hopper/3 joey system would this be my cost?

DVR Service $10 (includes first hopper)
Extra Hopper, one super joey, one regular joey, and one wireless joey = $7 each or $28 per month.

Total = $38

My two extra 722s are $17 each = $34. So it would cost me $4 extra per month.

What are the upfront equipment costs?
Two hoppers=$12 each(first one will be labeled dvr service=$24
Cannot have SJ with multiple hoppers, and each joey is $7. 2 hoppers 3 joeys=$45

It is almost always easier to tell us what you want to end up with and let us take it from there rather than telling us what you have and what you think you might be able to do to enhance or redistribute it.

This is especially useful when a Hopper system is being contemplated because everything you have is off the table.

It is almost always easier to tell us what you want to end up with and let us take it from there rather than telling us what you have and what you think you might be able to do to enhance or redistribute it.

This is especially useful when a Hopper system is being contemplated because everything you have is off the table.

Very good point.