Help With DirecTV Slimline 5LNB Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

megavortex

Original poster
Jan 4, 2010
MI
I just recently replaced my dad's 3LNB dish for the new Slimline 5LNB dish that I just got in the mail. I don't have any signal meters or anything, so I carried a spare TV and the receiver out near the dish in order to aim it. My problem is that I am getting absolutely NO signal on any satellites according to the meter in the receiver. I have 2 coax jumpers going directly to the receiver from the LNB assembly. I set the tilt and elevation according to my zip code. Is there something that I'm missing here? Is it possible that the LNB is bad? I would think that I should at least have some signal strength from the dish. I would greatly appreciate anyone's input/help. Thanks!

I only used the info on the receiver to give me a general idea of where to start.

I also used the DishPointer AR app on my phone to help me aim find the best location for the Dish (to see if there are any obstructions) and to get an idea of the tilt.

These are very difficult to aim. I did one a couple of weeks ago at my other place and it took me a few hours. The key is to first lock into 101 and do not worry about the tilt at all. Once you get a good signal on 101, then slowly start adjusting the tilt and the elevation until you get the 103 or 99 in. Then it is just a matter of fine tuning.

This this is so sensitive that even 1 mm off can make a difference between readings in the 70's and no readings at all.

I just recently replaced my dad's 3LNB dish for the new Slimline 5LNB dish that I just got in the mail. I don't have any signal meters or anything, so I carried a spare TV and the receiver out near the dish in order to aim it. My problem is that I am getting absolutely NO signal on any satellites according to the meter in the receiver. I have 2 coax jumpers going directly to the receiver from the LNB assembly. I set the tilt and elevation according to my zip code. Is there something that I'm missing here? Is it possible that the LNB is bad? I would think that I should at least have some signal strength from the dish. I would greatly appreciate anyone's input/help. Thanks!

first thing you need to do is be certain that the pole is plumb...

does you recvr give you the zip steeings for the new dish ...or are they settings for the old dish ... be sure that it is for the new dish ...

i think that if the old dish was pointed at the 215 or so ... the new one should ponit at the 200 ...... the elevation should be about the same but the tilt should be a lot different also....i general ... with all setti8ngs correct & pole plumb ... start too for at the west & slowly move to the south ...the first sats you hit should be it ....just fine tune....

I only used the info on the receiver to give me a general idea of where to start.

I also used the DishPointer AR app on my phone to help me aim find the best location for the Dish (to see if there are any obstructions) and to get an idea of the tilt.

These are very difficult to aim. I did one a couple of weeks ago at my other place and it took me a few hours. The key is to first lock into 101 and do not worry about the tilt at all. Once you get a good signal on 101, then slowly start adjusting the tilt and the elevation until you get the 103 or 99 in. Then it is just a matter of fine tuning.

This this is so sensitive that even 1 mm off can make a difference between readings in the 70's and no readings at all.

This is about all you need to know; use a level & make sure the pole mount is perfectly level in every direction. Lay it North to South & East to west & if it has a magnetic strip lay it up & down on the pole & make sure everything is plumb. From there, locking in the 101 can almost be done by just spinning the dish around the pole (not quite that easy but you get my meaning here). As already stated, you can now go after the other birds. Remember, even with a short cable & your tuner & TV right there it takes a few seconds for the meter to jump (acquiring the signal). It's a great leaning experience so stick with it; you'll thank yourself when you need to make any adjustments on your own without the need for waiting for a service call. You might also want to make an additional cable on the off chance that your cable has some type of short in it...it happened to me once. Stay with it! :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)