Help with dish and OTA wiring using existing coax

SmoothOne

Original poster
Jan 15, 2013
Kentucky
Hello all,
My current dish coax cable setup with a single VIP 722K. TV1 is HD and TV2 is SD. There is no cable internet/TV and no OTA antenna involved in the current install.

I have 1 coax cable ran from my living room to outside for TV1 and I have 1 coax cable ran from the bedroom to outside for TV2. TV 2, in the bedroom, does not have it's own reciever. The 722K back feeds it. The dish installer told me he installed a diplexer outside to back feed the signal to TV 2. Last night I checked behind the 722K and noticed the installer has a triplexer there. I disconnected the antenna cable from the back of the 722K that goes to the triplexer to see what would happen and TV2 lost signal. This puzzled me. The reason it puzzled me is because why have a triplexer going to a diplexer. TV2 connects to the UHF/VHF of the diplexer. So I now understand why TV2's signal was lost, but still why need a triplexer to connect to a diplexer. I figured a triplexer had to work with another triplexer.

I was wanting to buy a second triplexer so I could have the dish go to the 722K, then back feed from the 722K to TV2 and use the antenna on the triplexers for an OTA antenna to get my local channels. I guess if TV2 must use the antenna this won't be possible?
I also recall the installer mentioning something about the remote for TV2 using UHF to communicate with the 722K. I figured the remote used the antenna on the back of the 722K for that??? Not the coax, but the actual physical antenna.
Could I install a triplexer outside and do what I want?

I do not understand why there are 3 cables connected to the back of the 722K, as is, to feed 2 TVs. Remember there is no cable service and no antenna, as is. Only the dish feeding the 722K and the 722K back feeding TV2 with a triplexer inside and a diplexer outside. Can someone explain how this works? I like to understand how things work.

OR

I have another variable that may open another option if what I want to do with the current wiring isn't possible.

When I wired my home I wired it with cable TV and cable internet in mind. So I ran 2 cables from the living room to outside. The reason I did not mention this above is because I wanted to list "My current dish coax cable setup". The other coax cable is my cable internet coax. It of course has cable TV on it as well, but I want to be honest and I do not want to steal the signal. However, I could use that coax with diplexers or triplexers to get the satellite through if you-all see any possible scenario.

So this is my total current coax setup. I have 2 coax cables going from the living room to outside and 1 going from the bed room to outside. The only thing on 1 of the living room cables is cable internet and the other is the dish setup I listed above.
Do you-all see any possible wiring scheme for me to get the dish to the 722K for TV1, then back feed to TV2 and get my OTA through the coax that the cable internet is NOT on? I recently learned you can NOT separate the OTA and the cable on the same line. I tried diplexers and it won't work. The antenna side of the diplexers will allow the cable or the antenna signal through, but the satellite side will not allow the cable nor the antenna signal through. I also know it is illegal to combine OTA and cable because the antenna becomes a transmitter for the cable signal.

I really do not want to have to run another cable just to get OTA. I'm 6'2 and don't fit through the crawl space well. Plus as I built my home I ran the coax cables into the wall with plates. I don't want to have to tear out the wall to install another coax cable. The only other option to simplify the install is to drill through the floor. I don't want to do that either. Drilling through the floor would still require me to crawl through the crawl space, more like snake through, and I don't want a cable coming through my floor. If there is any way possible I want to run all 3 signals through the existing coax cables.

Before I would run another cable I would get another reciever for the bedroom. This would release the back feed on the cable the dish system is using from the 722K. I should then be able to run a OTA to both TVs using diplexers, correct? This is a last resort because I want to save money.

Sorry for the long post. I like to be thorough and I need help.

A triplexer is for the two sat tuners and the RF signal. You can use the RF section to either backfeed RF out from the 722 to TV2 or feed an OTA signal from an antenna to the 722. You can't do both on the one RF line.

You will need to add another coax cable from the OTA antenna to the 722. You can use the existing backfeed line. But, it would involve adding a switch at the dish and a 2nd receiver for TV2. The diplexer and triplexer would be connected slightly differently, as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts