Help with DVB and KU band

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jayway

Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
Greetings and salutations~

I'm a master control operator for a community access center. We have had a Drake monster satellite out on the side of the building for years and have only used it for various C-band and KU-band satellite downlinks. About a year ago, we were given a Digital receiver for Deutsche Welle. At the time, that was the only channel the receiver was used for....that is until I began playing around with it.

I can pretty much decipher how to get channels on the C-band. When it comes to the KU-band, that's where it gets tricky. I have been told that we do have a dual LMB on the dish. My question to all of you is this - Is there any means to check the KU-Band for anything without the digital receiver (we have both a digital and analog box)? Secondly, what am I doing wrong in entering the information into my digital box to get KU.

Any help you can dispense to me would be absolutely wonderful!!!
THANKS!

Make sure it is not a dual c-band lnb first of all, you will need a dual band feedhorn with lnbs, one for c-band and one for ku, if that is what you have, then you can make sure the conections are ok and start looking for ku. What box or boxes do you have?

Hello Jayway and welcome to SatelliteGUYS.US!

"Secondly, what am I doing wrong in entering the information into my digital box to get KU."

I guess you know that C-band frequencies have four digits and KU-band is five digits?

http://www.dmsiusa.com/charts.htm

Other than the above tip (What kind of LNB you guys have)

What are the problems you are having entering KU frequencies?
Any pictures of your big dish?

tdti1 said:
Make sure it is not a dual c-band lnb first of all, you will need a dual band feedhorn with lnbs, one for c-band and one for ku, if that is what you have, then you can make sure the conections are ok and start looking for ku. What box or boxes do you have?

The analog box we have is a Drake 1724. The Digital box we have is a PowerVu D9234. As for the LNB that we have - I'm not totally sure. I do know that there is a connection going into both the KU and C. I have seen programming on KU A LONG TIME AGO :shocked but that doesn't mean anything. Hope that helps...and thanks for helping me out.

PSB said:
Hello Jayway and welcome to SatelliteGUYS.US!

"Secondly, what am I doing wrong in entering the information into my digital box to get KU."

I guess you know that C-band frequencies have four digits and KU-band is five digits?

http://www.dmsiusa.com/charts.htm

Other than the above tip (What kind of LNB you guys have)

What are the problems you are having entering KU frequencies?
Any pictures of your big dish?

Thank you for the warm welcome :yes

I have figured out that C-band is 4 digits and KU-band is 5....Took me a bit to figure the whole digital part out. See...the receiver was handed to us, set up and left alone. No explaination - nothing.....it was all by my experimentation that I was able to see what exactly the digital box could do (yeah me!!!)

The easiest way to explain the problem I have with KU is that I'm not getting anything when I click over to the KU-band. I cannot lock onto a signal with the KU-band. I thought it would be just as easy as C-band.

Hope that was easy to understand. If not.....you can always hit me up with other questions. I appreciate all the help that is being given!

The drake should be good for your analog, if you have a VCII+ you can sub, the SA sounds to me like a commercial box, those are a pain to setup, It is for fixed systems I think, I will ask around and try to get info on it for you, a low cost dvb box would be good to get though, like the Pansat 2500a. You should be able to find something on the Drake on Ku but there is only analog wildfeeds and you will need to catch one, is the dish movable? with arm still working good, what size is the dish? is it solid or mesh? is it damaged in anyway?

I have a drake 1724, and it can be setup a few different ways for different LNB's. The ways it can be set up is: single c band, dual c band, single KU band and C/ku band. The LNB connections on the back of the drake 1724 say "C band" and "Ku band", but the KU band input is used for C band if you are using a dual C band LNB. If you have more questions about this receiver i do have a manual and several hours of time invested in figuring it all out.......

PSB said:
There is a 24/7 KU Analog test card on AMC9 Tp. 19 H (83w)

http://www.lyngsat.com/amc9.html

Well, this test may have answered any questions I have. I went "supposedly" went to said bird....and all I got was snow! So, either our analog dish does not have a dual LNB, the KU portion was never adjusted or something else is wrong. I would assume that since it is a 24/7 feed there should be something present.

THANKS so much for all the help......all my thanks to you all!

A signal meter like the SF-95 or one in the receiver should tell you if you have anything. The meter is like under $20 on EBAY.

Good luck!

jayway said:
Well, this test may have answered any questions I have. I went "supposedly" went to said bird....and all I got was snow! So, either our analog dish does not have a dual LNB, the KU portion was never adjusted or something else is wrong. I would assume that since it is a 24/7 feed there should be something present.

THANKS so much for all the help......all my thanks to you all!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts