help with garage setup.

kcmike13

Original poster
Oct 20, 2013
ca
We have dish installed in our house and want to install a seperate system for the garage. I installed a dish 500 satellite with a dish 500 pro plus dual LNB. I had an old dish 301 receiver activated. I can not get any signal at all. Called dish support and ran a dish switch check, both 110 and 119 came back with no signal. I had run new rg6u cable. Basically dish said the LNB was bad. If i buy a replacement LNB should it be the 500 pro plus or is there something better out there. Another question is do I need a switch in order to get the signal from both 110 and 119. Need to makesure components are compatible with the 301 receiver. Thanks Mike

All LNB twins (legacy, DP, and DPP) have built-in switches, so you don't need an auxiliary switch at all. The 301 should work with any of those LNBs. I have no idea why you see no signal. Could it simply be that you didn't aim the d500 correctly? Or perhaps you plugged the 301 into the wrong port on the DPP twin?

According to dish if you cant get a signal from your LNB you wont get a reception signal.If the LNB is bad would you get reception? Thanks

What did you use to aim the Dish when you installed it? Are you trying to use the 301 signal meter to aim the dish? The Dish has to be precisely aimed, a deviation of 1/8 of an inch and you won't get signal

Have you connected the 301 to your existing system,to make sure the 301's sat tuner isn't bad?That would be the first thing I would try.

As stated in the orignal post the receiver was activated by dish. When we ran the switch test, the test between the LNB and ran the reciever, both switch tests came back negative. Thats why the dish help person said that the LNB was bad. My understandig is if you have a bad LNB you don't receive a signal. Thanks

Will try setting it up to my home system, thanks

That's a good plan. UN hook an existing reciever a.f conduct a che k switch there to determine if the reciever is able to pick up signal.from your already alligned dish.

If it reports back that you show sats in the check switch matrix this leaves me to believe either you dish is misaligned, your lnb is bad, or a connector was installed incorrectly.

Good luck.

Just finished hooking up the 301 receiver to my home system and everything worked. I hooked up an old dtv LNB to the receiver just to see if a switch signal would come up and it did. I guess this is how one would check to see if LNBs are good. It looks like I need to replace the LNB. Thanks for the help.

Just finished hooking up the 301 receiver to my home system and everything worked. I hooked up an old dtv LNB to the receiver just to see if a switch signal would come up and it did. I guess this is how one would check to see if LNBs are good. It looks like I need to replace the LNB. Thanks for the help.

Yep lnb it is.

Dont assume you have a bad lnb by doing a check switch. A newly installed system (even a used one) will need to be aligned. A cheap $20 signal meter is what you need.You will be able to verify power (the meter will buzz) and then align the dish. Only then if you cant get signal at the dish could you conclude bad LNB. Now of course I am assuming a plumb mount and no line of site issues.I never did read how the OP aligned the dish

Dont assume you have a bad lnb by doing a check switch. A newly installed system (even a used one) will need to be aligned. A cheap $20 signal meter is what you need.You will be able to verify power (the meter will buzz) and then align the dish. Only then if you cant get signal at the dish could you conclude bad LNB. Now of course I am assuming a plumb mount and no line of site issues.I never did read how the OP aligned the dish

OP never says he pointed the dish, just installed it and ran cable.

I would suggest a check switch test. If it tests 1 of 3 that means it sees your dish but no satellites, meaning it could just be out of alignment.
If it tests 1 of 38 then your LNB is bad and you should replace it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)