HELP with HDMI

Status
Please reply by conversation.

stellar832000

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
San Antonio
I just got HD Directv and I am currently using the cables that came with the system (h20) to view high definition, in some of the other posts I have heard people talking about the HDMI cable and in my manual it says that that would be the best connection, does it make much of a difference in the picture quality compared to the component cables...I am asking because HDMI cables are expensive and I don't want to spend the money unless I am going to be worth it...

If your monitor is a digital monitor (plasma, LCD, or digital projection) then it does make a difference since you can avoid an additional digital to analog and then analog to digital conversion. Look on-line for HDMI cables. I pay about $20 for 2 meter length as opposed to about $120 at Radio Shack.

Always use HDMI and optical audio if you can!

Do a google for HDMI cables and order online.

YES, I use hdmi to dvi on my set and it makes the sd channels alot better.

Wow! Both sites ARE good!

One of my TV's uses DVI. I bought a DVI/HDMI adapter @ Radio Shack for $30 when I could have replaced the entire 6-foot DVI-DVI cable with a DVI-HDMI for under $20.

Using HDMI or DVI will allow your DLP monitor perform its best with all channels, HD or otherwise. I also get my cables from Monoprice and they are excellent. Great selection, great price, and fast delivery.

stellar832000 said:

That cable should be fine. Just watch the length: is 6 feet long enough?

BTW: that's an unbelievable price. I've had trouble with one of my H20's, D* asked me to try another HDMI cable.... I only had one, had to buy another at BestBuy (cost $55 :mad:) after spending $20 at a pricegrabber storefront :mad: only to discover that the H20 works fine using component video and will be replaced by D*. :mad: :mad: :mad:

That's the same cable I purchased. It works great on my equipment. It has the ferrite cores to reject interference, and the signal passing through it looks exactly the same as a my friend's $120 Monster Cable. Digital signals aren't going to suffer from the same problems as analog signals, as long as the cable isn't too long (>25'). And if they do suffer some loss over very long distances, you get a signal amplifier. High-end cable companies aren't going to roll over and play dead just because signals are transmitted in the digital domain. After all, they have a lot of highly paid marketing executives on their payroll. Trust your own ears and eyes. If you want to pay $100 more for a highly advertised cable, its your money. But first do yourself a favor and try a blind listening or viewing test. To remove all the influence, try a double-blind test. I've been part of many such tests, along with many other expert audiophiles and videophiles. Although there are sometimes minute differences between analog cables, I have yet to see or hear a difference with digital cables. The 1's and 0's are either there or not; correctly or not at all. There are lots of people who may disagree with me, especially those who make income from those high priced cables. I'm simply suggesting that you use your own judgement, preferrably in a blind or double-blind testing situation.

monoprice is insane! I am about to order a cable and was hoping someone can confirm for me since I am not at home. I have an H10 going to a Sony KDF-60XS955. I believe I need hdmi-hdmi cable which would be the real tiny connections? My dvd player has the bigger connect which I believe to be dvi which I have to use an adapter to connect to the tv which should be hdmi.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...cs_id=1023102&p_id=2412&seq=1&format=2&style=

will that work?

Thanks!

Status
Please reply by conversation.