Help with OTA Signal

I think I already know the answer to this. If you have diplexers in the line you cannot use a powered amp because (1) the diplexers block voltage on the RF side and (2) even if they didn't it would interfere with the satellite LNB voltage. True?

Sort of...here's how you do it. This will not work for Directv slimline Hd dish, but for Dish Network this is how you do it:

You will use a pre-amp where the pre-amp goes very near the antenna. Outside you will use a "pre-amp diplexer" or a dual power pass diplexer.

Inside, you will use the normal single power pass diplexer. And, in this case, you will NOT use the pre-amp power source. The power backfeed from the receiver will power both the LNB and the antenna.

You would most likely benefit from an amp. The amplifiers assist in overcoming the loss created by line lengths and splitters/connections and such. A standard line amplifier would pass the antenna signal to the splitter, or before the splitter.

The most effective type is a pre-amplifier that has two parts. The pre-amp that goes as close to the antenna as possible, and the power source that will go somewhere it can be plugged in.

Got it - thanks Jeff!

I'm having some trouble with my OTA reception for NBC. I know this is the weakest signal out of the broadcasters in my area (Louisville). I can watch NBC through my TV tuner and the picture sometimes pixelates or freezes, but I can usually put up with it. It seems much weaker through the 622 tuner, and typically jumps back and forth with the yellow screen and is essentially unwatchable. My other OTA channels are fine through the 622 tuner and the TV tuner.

I have a powered signal amplifier I bought through Radio Shack a few years ago and I was wondering whether this could help boost the OTA signal on NBC. I don't know much about this amplification stuff so what do you think?

It won't hurt to try it. I had a Shack amp & it didn't help, but spending some time fine tuning the ant. did the trick for me. I have a very old ratty roof ant. & the HD picture is great.

Quick question...I don't have an HDTV yet, but when I do, I definitely want to use a roof antenna to get locals. Question is, do I get just a UHF antenna or a VHF/UHF antenna? After the 2009 mandate to shut down analog broadcasts, will the stations move their current UHF digital broadcasts to the VHF stations that they are usually on (making a UHF-only antenna obselete?) BTW, I'm in Pittsburgh, local channels are 2 (KDKA-CBS), 4 (WTAE-ABC), 11 (WPXI-NBC), 19 (????-CW), and 53 (WPGH-FOX). Also, best roof antenna to get? Thanks to all who read and reply!!

Quick question...I don't have an HDTV yet, but when I do, I definitely want to use a roof antenna to get locals. Question is, do I get just a UHF antenna or a VHF/UHF antenna? After the 2009 mandate to shut down analog broadcasts, will the stations move their current UHF digital broadcasts to the VHF stations that they are usually on (making a UHF-only antenna obselete?) BTW, I'm in Pittsburgh, local channels are 2 (KDKA-CBS), 4 (WTAE-ABC), 11 (WPXI-NBC), 19 (????-CW), and 53 (WPGH-FOX). Also, best roof antenna to get? Thanks to all who read and reply!!

I have a Channel Master VHF/UHF ant. It's 17 yrs. old & missing a couple of elements, but it pulls in all my locals in HD. Ch. 5-NBC, 12-CBS, 25-ABC, 29-FOX, 34- CW, 42-PBS, and 67- IND. I also have a cheap pair of rabbit ears that I hooked up to the TV direct and they pull in all the UHF chs. It appears that almost any antenna will do the job. However, that would depend on how far away you are from the signal source. I am within 20 miles of all my locals. Hope this helps. I love the HD picture I get from all of them. Dish does not offer locals here in HD yet.

Go to AntennaWeb and enter your address, etc to find the distance and direction to the stations you have available. Click on "Show digital stations only", click on one of the colors on the left column to find the antenna type; i.e., Medium directional. They often recommend multi-directional, but directional is better if all your broadcasts are from the same location. Go to
Comparing some commercially available antennas
to find an antenna. Most digital stations are UHF, or occasionally high VHF (7-13). I used a medium directional and added a high VHF Winegard to pick up the only VHF station I have. If you need long distance, the Channel Master 4228 is a UHF that does a fair job on high VHF also.
HDTVPrimer.com also has good installation tips.

Pittsburgh wiill have one VHF digital on channel 13, the rest are UHF.

A Channel Master 4228 should do you fine.

Some stations plan to use their old (VHF) channel number after they are force to digital only. IIRC, Albuquerque's ch 7 is such. Upper VHF (7-13) can be received on many UHF antennas but look out for lower VHF (2-6). Chicago's WBBM(?) has digital on ch 3 right now and many have ghosting causing multipath problems. High number UHF will go away also. The density of UHF stations is limited to say 2 of every 3 unless they are on the same tower, my guess.
-Ken