HD Super Stations

amoni

SatelliteGuys Family
Jun 13, 2004
Anyone know if Dish is going to broadcast their SuperStation package in HD anytime soon? I see KTLA is in HD through their commercials. And I know this has probably been mentioned a million times but is there a list or published schedule of the locals that Dish will pick up in HD? I'm waiting for the Scranton/ Wilkes Barre ones. I know Comcast had them all in HD. Thanks

mike123abc

Too many cables
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
It is unclear at this time if the law allowing the superstations applies to their digital feeds or not. The law calls out the super stations by the call signs (like KTLA) but has not been updated to reflect if KTLA-DT is the same station as KTLA. It would be a great addition to have the superstations in HD, many smaller markets may never have these channels in HD.

ScottChez

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 2, 2003
I would stay with Dish forever if that had the Superstation pack in HD. What is it $5.99 for all 5 stations?

Many do not get these stations locally in HD and probably never will. They will just be in Digital when they cut over an do away with analog.

The FCC should be thinking about us in Smaller market areas and allow it.

Peter Parker

Formerly Geronimo
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 9, 2003
THere certainly has been no announcement of any of the superstaions in HD. But then again the announcements generally come just before they arrive. It si my understanding that WSBK in particular has no HD---though it has a digital OTA broadcast.

The question of whether the digital feeds count as superstations is unresolved. Some point to the call letter situation but DISH files (for copyright purposes) a form that lists the number of subs to each analog and digital feed of the superstations. This would make no sense if the digital feed was not considered a superstation.

FWIW here is a .pdf of that form. http://www.copyright.gov/forms/formsci.pdf

Peter Parker

Formerly Geronimo
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 9, 2003
Thanks. There was an odd note on their website saying otherwise and when i inquired they said they had none. but I guess you can't always trust such emails or maybe they meant only "regular" programming.

leegart

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 22, 2004
Thanks. There was an odd note on their website saying otherwise and when i inquired they said they had none. but I guess you can't always trust such emails or maybe they meant only "regular" programming.

My guess is they were just passing on an HD telecast from whatever sports network originated it that they were carrying. I think it was college football.

There may also have been some HD when they were a UPN affiliate.

CJPC

Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 27, 2004
Yeah, they also (recently) have started showing Jeporady and wheel in HD, took long enough for the recording equipment to get running!

Peter Parker

Formerly Geronimo
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 9, 2003
Funn but the web site specifically said that they do NOT offer Jeopardy and Wheel in HD. But after reading your post I went back and looked and it now said that those shows are in HD. Interetingly the note is dated 9/2 and I looked abouta week ago.

leegart

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 22, 2004
Wsbk

Keep in mind that they are no longer a separate entity. They are owned by CBS and "originate" from the facilities of sister station WBZ. Their newscast is comprised of WBZ staffers.

I would imagine on that basis that WBZ's HD capabilities could be used on WSBK.

It is interesting that they are now independent and didn't join the "MyNetwork" as WWOR did for example in New York when UPN ceased to exist after the merger with WB. Boston does not have a MyNetwork affiliate.

This allowed for expanded local election coverage last year using WBZ personnel while that station was carrying CBS programming.

Peter Parker

Formerly Geronimo
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 9, 2003
I think taht WZMY is technically the MyNetwork station in Boston----even though it is in NH.

leegart

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 22, 2004
I think taht WZMY is technically the MyNetwork station in Boston----even though it is in NH.

Unless you get it on your Boston area satellite or cable system, you would have trouble picking up the snowy UHF signal OTA in much of the Boston area. Also, what local programming they have is NH oriented.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)