Help with tuning Sinlge LNB dish to locals

Status
Please reply by conversation.

andyclap@adelphia.net

Original poster
Nov 6, 2004
Is it possible to tune a Single LNB dish to local channels? If so how is this done. I have tried using the different sats adn transponders in the setup and have not had any success.

andyclap@adelphia.net said:
Is it possible to tune a Single LNB dish to local channels? If so how is this done. I have tried using the different sats adn transponders in the setup and have not had any success.
Are you trying to use a satellite dish to receive VHF/UHF over the air TV channels? Or are you trying to subscribe to local channels from Directv?
:)

Some locals can only be obtained using the three LNB dish. You can find out on the DirecTv website if your city is one of these. All you have to do is enter your zip code. But you also have to subscibe to the locals to receive them.

I believe that DirecTV receivers require signals from 101 to complete setup, so if your locals are on the 101 sat then you are okay. DirecTV also requires a subscription to at least Total Choice in order to receive locals. If you are just trying to get your locals from the 119 sat then this could be a problem.

Please explain exactly what you are trying to do.

I've got a single llnb dish that I am using for a camping/tailgaiting set-up.. At my house I have a 3lnb dish get locals and the rest of my package with no problem. When I hook up my single LNB dish I have only been able to receive the "national" channels. Is there a way when using the single LNB set-up to manually tune to the sat that carries my locals and then manually tune back to the sat that carries the nationals.
I am certainly not an expert, but the way I understand how the 3LNB set-up works is that it is able to tune to the different sats that carry the locals and national channels at the same time. So is there a way to do this manually with the single LNB dish?

the sats are in three different locations, so it wouldn't be as easy as making a change on the receiver. You would have to re-align the dish each time you switch from locals to national channels.

If it is even possible, I have never tried it myself.

Status
Please reply by conversation.