Help with vacation home self-install

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Don't use a crimper for the connectors. Get a compression tool. They are available at HD as well as the right connectors.

Yes, compression is the way to go. Crimped connections are very unreliable. Make sure you get the connectors for outside use, they have rubber boots that protect the connector from rain.

How bad will it be if I use the copper clad as it's really hard to get that around here? I think the run will be just about 100' and will be out on a tree.

Edited: more like 200 ft...

Last edited:
It will likely be fine, but Directv recommends using solid core to avoid voltage drop. You could go to a 29 volt PI if necessary.

How bad will it be if I use the copper clad as it's really hard to get that around here? I think the run will be just about 100' and will be out on a tree.

You should be fine with copper clad at 100'. tree mounting can be problematic as trees tend to move in the wind and grow. the lower on the tree the better.

you can dial in your dish with the standard lnb, then switch to the SWiM after alignment is done.

edit...as far as connectors, compression is ideal, but crimp connectors were used for years without problems in areas NOT exposed to weather. I have then on outside OTA connections with spark plug boot type covers and dielectric grease for over 20 years with no problems and over 10 on my cottage sat install.

Last edited:
Just measured and its more like 200'. what should I do? It seems nearly impossible to find the solid core cable. Can I even bury the regular clad cable?

You will need a "flooded" direct bury cable, and at 200' probably copper for sure as I believe the max suggested run on SWiM is 150'.

look on ebay for the cable, or flag down installer van,or call a retailer who may sell you some cable.

So I "have" a non SWM that I just purchased stuff to switch to a SWM should I have stuck with the older LNB and would the cable requirement be different?

So with my distance issue should I stick with my existing lnb and go the two run route with BBC connectors or switch to the newer SWM lnb with one run and a power inverter?

I would think is is 6 of one and a half dozen of the other. if you have SWiM at home and use standard at the vacation home you will have to change antenna settings each time you move the dvr (not really a big deal at all). the SWiM should work fine at 200' and copper wire, but with the standard lnb and two cables you could use clad wire.

probably would save a few bucks with the standard lnb since you already have it.

Directv gurus may chime in about the distance issues and SWiM, and may suggest rg-11 wire at that distance.

100ft should be OK but it does not meet DirecTV's recommendations. As Chip says, using the 29v power inserter (designed for the stand-alone SWM8 multiswitch) is OK and will overcome any voltage drop.
200ft might be iffy, you definitely would need the 29v.
Why don't you order the cable online, somewhere like summitsource ?

Your email mentions a tree, you are not suggesting you will be mounting the dish on a tree?

Its more like 200 feet once I actually measure it:(. So would sticking with the non swm with the copper core be my best bet? Ill definitely order online but was hoping to accomplish the feat this week a d get it locally but it looks like not...

My recommendation, use copper core, SWM, but with the 29v power inserter. Covers all the bases.

Just measured and its more like 200'. what should I do? It seems nearly impossible to find the solid core cable. Can I even bury the regular clad cable?

You will need a "flooded" direct bury cable, and at 200' probably copper for sure as I believe the max suggested run on SWiM is 150'.

look on ebay for the cable, or flag down installer van,or call a retailer who may sell you some cable.

Check with Claude here on the site, he probably has it at the Dish Store.

And it is available in many places on the web......

So I decided for now to stick with the existing non swm lnb and run the burial rated CCS for now and see how it goes (I had easy access to it via Amazon prime). I bought the two BBCs and I'm set to go. Instead of asking for a blow by blow on finding the signal, is there a step by step somehwre on this site? I will take the TV, HR24 DVR, and dish to the location and take attempt to get the signal.

Just a quick thanks to all of you that helped me a few weeks ago become an "expert" in Dtv signals for my self-install. Even though I know some day I might have to replace the CCS cable with SCC I couldn't easily get the solid stuff in my timeframe. If I someday need to replace it I will know exactly what to do that to all of your great help. Thanks again!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts