Help with VGA out on laptop to HDTV

Mdvalenz

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 22, 2007
I'm not sure if this is the right area but I hope someone can help.

I just got the Samsung HP-T5054 plasma and it has VGA in. My laptop is an old HP and has VGA out. The picture looks amazing most of the time, but once every minute or so when I am playing a video, haven't noticed it when I am just browsing around, the picture has diagonal lines that run across the screen and the video stutters. It seems to happen in fast motion scenes.

The laptop plays these videos fine on an external computer monitor and even through the S-video out, but the VGA out looks so much better on the plasma. The resolution is set to 1024x768. Are there other settings I should change so the problem goes away? What refresh rate, color setting, etc. should I use? Has anyone had this problem and used a VGA to component adapter? Thanks.

I think I figured it out. I changed the resolution to 1360x768, the refresh rate to 60hz and the color depth to 16bit. Now normal resolution videos play great. The video still stutters during HD playback, but the laptop does that itself so I think it is because my laptop isn't powerful enough.

Yeah I have the same problem. I have a new Sammy 4254, the same as yours but a 42". I am using an old machine I pulled out of the closet. It is a 700mhz AMD Duron with 256mb of ram, and a SIS 32mb video card. The system does ok for general surfing, email, etc, but doesn't do so well for video, as can be expected for such an anemic system. I am torn between getting a new PC to use, or just getting a PS3. I can do pretty much everything I need with a PS3, plus I get the gaming, and the blu-ray drive. So I think I will struggle by with this current system until I can trick my old lady into getting that PS3 for me...lol.

torp

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)