Help!!!!!!

texxas guy

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Nov 13, 2003
I ordered Dish thru At&t a couple of days ago, along with their Elite speed internet. I am currently with Charter(cringe). Anyway, the young lady I spoke to on the phone was very professional and took my order. I told her I had 5 tvs. I had her read my order back to me before we hung up. This was the order:

1- High def DVR
1- Std def Dvr
1- Std def receiver
plus the DSL, which has no bearing on this.

Just awhile ago, the tech shows up to install. I ask him what equipment he has with him. He says: 1- HD DVR, 1-HD receiver, 1-std receiver. :eek:
I told him that's not what I was told I was receiving. He called At&t, and got someone on the phone. I took the phone, and the @$%$^%$ on the phone could care less about my problem, he just kept saying that I could not hook up more than 4 TV's without buying the extra box. I kept telling him that the person who took my order never said anything about this, but it was obvious he did not care.
Anyhow, after talking to someone else who "said" she would have a mgr. call me, I decided to ask you guys.
I have 5 tv's that I want to receive Dish on. I want a HD dvr, and a Std. dvr. plus beinig able to watch the 5th tv. What is the best way for me to accomplish this.....and the cheapest? Can i just split off one of the boxes or what? Do I need another switch? HELP!!
Thanks in advance guys! Sorry for being so long.
Larry

Update: Mgr. just called me and said she would review the original phone call on tape. I said, please do, as it will clearly show what was ordered, and agreed to. Said she would call back Monday, Ok, but if they do not honor the order, I will be cancelling all of the above, as well as phone service. Damn, there is just no customer service these days. This could be such a simple fix in my opinion.

Last edited:
Most of the new Dish receivers are dual tuners, which means you can feed up to 4 TVs.
You could have the output from home of the 2nd tuner on either receiver, split it, and connect to 2 TVs. But you'll have to watch the same thing on both Tvs.

Is your need for 5 separate televisions to be able to watch 5 different programs at once? If so, I believe you will need 5 tuners, such as, 2 dual tuners and 1 single tuner, or any other combination to give you at least 5 tuners.

However, with 2 dual tuner receivers, 4 family members (or visitors) could each watch their own show at the same time. But that does not mean you can not have a few more televisions throughout the house, only draw back is, maximum of 4 programs displaying at a time, each on its own channel.
.....Receiver 1, TV1 Output = Channel 60
.....Receiver 1, TV2 Output = Channel 62
.....Receiver 2, TV1 Output = Channel 64
.....Receiver 2, TV2 Output = Channel 66

I don't think there's a limit to how many televisions can be on your home distribution system, but if the signal got to week, you may have to use a relatively inexpensive amplifier on the system.

I'm not familiar with using AT&T to subscribe to Dish and if it would be better to use Dish or AT&T. I'm assuming that there will be a Dish, a Swtich, and your Receiver(s), and you'll be able to feed multiple receivers, and have each feed into your home cable system.

Last edited:
DISH"s promotion is for 4 tuners, and any beyond the 4 tuners you pay for. At&t can do whatever they wish, they could eat the cost instead of passing it onto you. Wait until you get the answer or lack of answer on Mon. then go with at&t or stay with cable.

Under the DHA program you would be able to get a 625/522 dual tuner DVR. There would be no extra cost for that. That would cover 2 tv's.

TO Get HD DVR you would need to get a 622. That should cost you money upfront to lease. I do belive it is $199.99. This would give you HD DVR on 1 tv and STD DVR on another tv.

If you wanted a 5th TV connected you could just mirror the image of the second tv from either the 522/6625 or the 622. As mentioned above it would have the same picture. There would be a 1 time install fee to do that from most installer. Should not be more than $30.00.

If you wanted it to be a seperate receiver for seperate programing it could get expensive fast. You would have to pay for the receiver, additional labor and possibly a switch.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts