Helping my mother move: Avoiding headaches w/Dish network equipment return

TAsunder

Original poster
May 7, 2012
wisconsin
My mother is moving across the country into a house with my brother. She currently has Dish service in Illinois. She is selling her house and moving into a house that already has satellite service. Her house closes on May 23. She called Dish who told her that they can't send boxes until May 23 since that is when she is disconnecting. They then agreed to send them immediately, but instead disconnected her service. Initially they claimed that she had requested this and she'd have to pay to reconnect but eventually it was worked out and her service is back on. However, they still are saying that they can't send the boxes until May 23 and it will take 7-10 days for them to arrive. This is totally not reasonable since she leaves the state on May 24.

That means she has to take the receiver with her in the car she is driving across country with 2 other adults, pets, suitcases, etc. This is an enormous inconvenience to her and it is fairly likely she won't even be able to return them in the time required by Dish.

I'm looking for advice on how to proceed. I feel that she should be able to send the equipment back to Dish on the day of closing using her own boxes, but we don't know the procedure. From what I have read Dish is extremely picky about the procedure and will try to squeeze money out of her if she doesn't follow it to the letter. She is quite upset about the way dish has treated her so far as she has been a loyal customer for many, many years. The long term plan is for her to get a new place on the west coast and she will definitely not be using Dish if this is not resolved to her satisfaction. I am also somewhat surprised by this behavior and am myself going to be moving to a new place soon and am hesitant to continue with my own Dish service because of this absurd disconnect policy.

What can she do to prevent having to lug the equipment across country?

Offhand, two options:

Contact DIRT.

Box them up carefully in your own boxes and ship them back on your dime. You'll be paying return shipping anyway. The boxes and labels from Dish are just a convenience, anyway.

Thanks. This is what I'm assuming we should do but I thought we needed to use their labels and/or get an auth #. We don't need a return authorization or anything? Is that just for equipment replacements or defective unit returns?

Sorry to be dense (I'm new here), but who or what is DIRT?

Thanks. This is what I'm assuming we should do but I thought we needed to use their labels and/or get an auth #. We don't need a return authorization or anything? Is that just for equipment replacements or defective unit returns?

Sorry to be dense (I'm new here), but who or what is DIRT?
You will need a return authorization number from DISH so they can track the returned receivers to credit your mothers account.

Pack up the equipment using one of her own boxes. Ship the equipment back to one of their service centers in El Passo TX, or Spartinburg SC.

Once they get the equipment back they will scan it into their system and remove it from her account, reguardless if they have an RA number or not.

Or when you cancel on the 24th, just ask for the address to ship it back to, and package and ship it back on your own.

If you want an empty box, send me a PM. All I ask is for a few dollars for shipping. I got a few hundred empty boxes with pre-paid return labels and the foam inserts they sent me a few years ago by accident.

I'd insure the boxes if you send them out on your own. If they show up to Dish broken, they can try and charge her MSRP.

See if you can get the boxes shipped to the new address. They will come with the styrofoam inserts to properly cushion the receivers..

Don't know if this will work. Use the Dih Move to move to the newaddress. Once there, cancel and have the boxes sent there. One of the experts will be able to comment if this will work.

Once Dish sends boxes they expect to see receivers incoming. No boxes received, they will charge for the receivers.

See if you can get the boxes shipped to the new address. They will come with the styrofoam inserts to properly cushion the receivers..

Don't know if this will work. Use the Dih Move to move to the newaddress. Once there, cancel and have the boxes sent there. One of the experts will be able to comment if this will work.

We can change the address to send out boxes. Once you are ready to do this just PM one of us DIRT members and we will get boxes sent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)