Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Just read this and I thought it was pretty funny.

A census worker was threatened by a guy with......a bulldozer :D

A Fairbanks man is facing a misdemeanor assault charge after he was accused of threatening a U.S. Census worker with a bulldozer.
The census worker, identified only by his initials in charging documents, went to a
home on June 2 looking for information from Carey William Bliss.
The worker told authorities that Bliss, 50, was uncooperative, grabbed census forms, told the worker to get off his property, and then said, “I know how to get you off my property.”
Bliss then went to a bulldozer in his yard and started it. The worker got into his car and backed out of the driveway with Bliss following in the bulldozer, according to the Fairbanks District Attorney’s office.
Ruben Del Valle, a spokesman for the Census Bureau in Alaska, said there have
been reports of violence toward census workers in other parts of the country but
this was the first such incident he had heard about in Alaska.
Census workers receive training on how to deal with such situations, which they
report to supervisors, he said. While Bliss marked his property with “no
trespassing” signs, according to charging documents, Del Valle said courts repeatedly have found that census workers are not violating any laws if they are only going to a door seeking information.
Bliss has no prior criminal record and court records do not list a lawyer for him or
any upcoming court dates. A listed phone number for Bliss went to a fax machine.
that is hilarious! Now the question you're probably thinking is..........who the heck owns a bulldozer ;)

rotfl !

The funniest part is there was no assault. (not that I'm a lawyer)
I'm not even sure you could work up a good charge of "menacing", under the circumstances.

The damned census workers need to know that "no" means "NO"!
Funny how that seems so obvious in other contexts! - :rolleyes:

Consider my day brightened, Ice!

... but note that the pubic servant's identity remains private, while private citizen's full name and age is made public - a sign of the times, I suppose.

Here is another sign of the times:

Attachments

• protected by cat.jpg
    protected by cat.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 208
Re who owns a bulldozer, there are several people in my area who own small bulldozers, but one fellow near me owns a big one. He lives in a wetlands area where no construction is permitted, so I get the impression that he figures that if he does stuff himself that he doesn't need to deal with wetlands regulations. A bulldozer comes in handy up here where there are rocks of all sizes everywhere. If you want land that you can plant a garden in, or even have a lawn area flat enough so you can cut the grass, you really need some kind of heavy equipment to push rocks around. They deepened the ditch along about 200' of my road frontage, and only went down a few feet, but I ended up with a complete stone wall along that road front, made up of rocks that are mostly around 5' diameter, but many are much bigger, one bigger than my car. I bought a small tractor with backhoe to move the small rocks around, but it would be nice to have something bigger.

Re the census, if the guy had responded to the mail form, he wouldn't have gotten a visit, although perhaps there was some building that showed up on a sat pictures that wasn't accounted for. We once got a visit from a census worker who was asking about an outbuilding on a neighbor's property. They were asking whether anyone actually lived there.

I used to be a town selectman here, and the census people came around wanting us to put up a poster inviting people to take the training to be census workers. The people who were interested seemed to be people who like to know about everything that's going on around town (if that makes sense). But they tend to hire people from the area, who are familiar with where buildings are, and they have computers showing where buildings are known to be, and if there is something there that doesn't jive with the computer map they have, I think they have to go check it out. The guy in Alaska probably put up some buildings, figuring that it was nobody else's business what he does, and got annoyed when the census worker was curious. I guess I can see both sides of that lack of agreement.

Funny enough I have been working on the Census myself.

Now understand I have to be really careful about how I answer anything census related.

Two thing I want to make clear.
1. Census enumerators are not allowed to use the Internet to check on places (Google Earth and Maps and the like)
That's transmission of confidential data over unsecured means.
2. The Enumerator could have been trying to ask the guy about his neighbors who did not respond.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)