here we go again, another dispute between Dish & Tegna impending

Well I have done comparisons though not recently with Directv.

DISH can be lower than cable and by quite alot. Top 200 includes just about all the channels where a comparable priced Spectrum Cable package leaves out a few. When you look at the details no one has what the Flex Pack offers for that cost. If you can drop locals that's a savings. By the time you go through equipment fees, DISH is going to be less. Spectrum starts with a $19 DVR fee if anything more than one room and then add $13 for a DVR receiver including the first one.

That is before the current customer discounts that make DISH even cheaper for me. $15 off the top 200, and a $7 DVR fee. $6.00 for the exact time period I wanted for the Sports pack - Baseball season to see ends of games through NFL season (for the NFL Zone).
Even when Spectrum TV bundled with internet, the first year is close still more, after that easily more.
It does appear Spectrum only has a contract if you need a buyout from your current provider, before they advertised no contract and that was true, but that is possible with DISH also. The best deal was with a contract with Spectrum it looks like that has changed.
The real difference is alot of people don't want to be bothered with a satellite dish, or the way repairs are handled with Satellite.

Yes, there can be instances I'm sure where someone will get about the same service (channels) for less particularly when bundled depending on where you live. I can't in Fl or Ct.

Reactions: pattykay and ncted
Yes, there can be instances I'm sure where someone will get about the same service (channels) for less particularly when bundled depending on where you live. I can't in Fl or Ct.
I'm not referring to total price though. I'm just talking about yearly increases. Does DirecTV/cable drastically increase more per month than Dish does? If so, then Charlie's bluster and renegotiation tactics work. If not, than IMO, it's just a lot of hot air and trouble for his subscribers that doesn't really make a difference.

Well, the first step would be to get them to publish the actual costs, which they seem loathe to do, and, at least with Charter, is inconsistent from location to location, despite what some people want to believe. I did post this a while back though:

Comcast to raise prices
Maybe I didn't read the article right, but it looks like Comcast increased their rates ~$5/month. Hmm... good thing Charlie takes a hard line on these "greedy" program providers, otherwise how high would our bills go. ;)

I'm not referring to total price though. I'm just talking about yearly increases. Does DirecTV/cable drastically increase more per month than Dish does? If so, then Charlie's bluster and renegotiation tactics work. If not, than IMO, it's just a lot of hot air and trouble for his subscribers that doesn't really make a difference.
Again, these disputes aren't just about price. Autohop, Flex pack with optional add-ons, locals being optional...all unique in the pay TV industry. They were fought for in these disputes. Not for nothing.

Maybe I didn't read the article right, but it looks like Comcast increased their rates ~$5/month. Hmm... good thing Charlie takes a hard line on these "greedy" program providers, otherwise how high would our bills go. ;)

It will be interesting to note if Dish raises the rate this coming year with both HBO/Cinemax and Univision gone. Fortunately Tegna stations returned.

Reactions: pattykay

Comcast raised their non-advertised fees, so this is in addition to the regular package fee increases that all providers implement every year or so. And, yeah, I definitely consider the channel owners to be greedy. Sure, I expect their operating costs to go up, but when you consider the consolidation that has gone on in the past decade or more, they've been saving a lot of money in other ways through "synergies :rolleyes:." The extra money we pay isn't really going to pay for more or better newcasters or helicopters or whatever. It is lining the pockets of a very few people, and we don't really get any additional value for the cost. In some cases, the resulting product is objectively much worse (see Sinclair).

It will be interesting to note if Dish raises the rate this coming year with both HBO/Cinemax and Univision gone. Fortunately Tegna stations returned.

Umm...Why would Dish not having HBO/Cinemax have an effect on whether there is a price increase or not?
They are premium channels of which you pay extra for if you want them and not a part of any of the actual Dish packages.

Reactions: ncted and DishGuyTX
So we said Directv increased their rates only $2-$8? Does that include the increased RSN fees or even adding RSN fees to a large selection of customers, or are they talking about their base package(even though you couldn’t remove the RSN fees without downgrading)?

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts