here we go again, DirecTv/AT&T about to enter yet another local channel dispute, this time, with CBS

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Support Forum' started by Willh699, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Willh699

Willh699 Topic Starter SatelliteGuys Pro

And just when many markets were bragging about having their CBS being owned by CBS during the Nexstar, boom, it's our turn now. today CBS Corporation announced that their deal with AT&T for carriage of the CBS owned and operated stations will expire on Friday night into Saturday morning at 11 PM PDT. And it's looking like there's gonna be more disputes as it seems AT&T seems to be getting into more disputes with local channels across the nation with the intent to possibly do away with local channels and tell their customers that if they want locals, get the Locast app on their Genie DVRs or get a LCC for the Genie to hook your antenna up as they had enough with fighting with local TV stations over their greed over local channels.

CBS owns stations in big markets and these stations will go dark if no agreement is reached by the deadline. the dispute isn't just for DirecTV, it's for all AT&T paid TV platforms, which is DirecTV, DirecTV Now, U-Verse and AT&T Watch TV. And this comes months after the Viacom dispute, which why am i mentioning that, well, it's cause Viacom once owned CBS before CBS spun Viacom off (which formed new Viacom while old Viacom became CBS Corporation) and in the last 2 years, both CBS and Viacom has been in the process of re-merging back into one giant company and this dispute may be influenced by said re-merger.

Here's a list of CBS owned and operated stations, including CW owned and operated stations:
    CBS Television Stations - Wikipedia|

I am affected by this dispute, as i live in North Texas and 2 of my locals are CBS owned and operated, which is KTVT CBS 11 and KTXA TX 21.

Deadline's story about the AT&T/CBS dispute:
    CBS Warns Of Potential DirecTV And AT&T U-Verse Blackouts In 17 Markets ā€“ Deadline

CBS' dispute propaganda site:
    DIRECTV and DIRECTV NOW may drop CBS!

AT&T's dispute promise site:
    DirecTV and CBS Contract Negotiations ā€“ TV Promise, We Are Fighting for You

Buckle up boys and girls, this is gonna be a bad one.

2. Claude Greiner

Claude Greiner SatelliteGuys Master Supporting Founder

Wow. They are becoming more like Dish.

Jillian2 and ncted like this.
  3. Juan

Juan Supporting Founder Supporting Founder

Locast
    Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

4. NYDutch

NYDutch SatelliteGuys Pro Pub Member / Supporter

It's about time. The more carriers that stand up to the greedy broadcasters the better...

Jimbo and ncted like this.
  5. ncted

ncted SatelliteGuys Pro Pub Member / Supporter

Weird how DirecTV went from looking like the leader in the DBS business before the AT&T merger to looking like a slow follower a few short years later. Who could have predicted that? ;)

TheTechGuru and HIFI like this.
  6. SamCdbs

SamCdbs SatelliteGuys Pro

Clearly retransmission consent, which was congressional overturning of the Supreme Court's correct decision on Fortnightly, was a mistake and should be reversed. But that will never happen.

We are stuck where we are. The real victims in all of this are rural Americans who live too far from the towers to simply buy an antenna.

7. Clarbear

Clarbear SatelliteGuys Family

This is another reason why I don't pay for cable or any satellite (dish). I prefer using OTA channels only. There are also some apps that I can download and I don't have to pay for it. Between the both of them I can watch over 80 channels that I don't have to pay.

whitewolf8214 likes this.
  8. Juan

Juan Supporting Founder Supporting Founder

But you still pay......internet fees

9. Howard Simmons

Howard Simmons SatelliteGuys Pro

Well I'm a Dish customer and they just dropped a bunch of Meredith owned stations which owns a FOX station in the Mobile-Pensacola area.

10. Richfunb

Richfunb SatelliteGuys Family

I'm grandfathered to have the Distant Networks. Both CBS Networks from New York and Los Angeles are Owned and Operated stations and would be dropped if an agreement isn't reached. Since I pay for these networks, I'll be calling DirecTv for a credit if this happens.

11. cpalmer2k

cpalmer2k SatelliteGuys Pro Pub Member / Supporter

From posts on another site it appears DirecTV has already made plans to uplink WUSA from Washington and another west coast station to replace the NY/LA DNS Stations if this happens. Iā€™m in the same boat. Lucky you though- I only get the East Coast DNS. I really wish I got both

12. Richfunb

I got a wavier for both East and West DNS back in 1996 when DTV was just getting started. Since then I moved to Colorado and now also get their local networks. So with 3 CBS, 3 NBC, and 3 Fox stations, I have no need for Sunday Ticket. I get most of the games without paying - especially my 2 favorite teams - the Giants and the Broncos. I appreciate the info regarding possible DNS replacements.

13. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Scanning the Skies! Staff Member HERE TO HELP YOU!

14. Claude Greiner

Claude Greiner SatelliteGuys Master Supporting Founder

I kind of hope they take our CBS down. Been wanting to get my hands on a local channel connecter kit

whitewolf8214 likes this.
  15. larry55

larry55 SatelliteGuys Pro Pub Member / Supporter

I got a good ota antenna.

Jimbo likes this.
  16. Richfunb

DTV just switched the CBS Distant Networks to Washington in the East and San Diego in the West from New York and Los Angeles.

MikeI likes this.
  17. cpalmer2k

cpalmer2k SatelliteGuys Pro Pub Member / Supporter

I'm curious what viewers in LA/NY are getting now (if anything) if they tune to the 390's. Usually the "local" WCBS and KCBS feeds are just remapped to the CONUS feeds they use for DNS. They don't usually spot beam the 4 big networks for NYC and LA, just the other more minor channels. I guess they had to uplink another version of those two channels for NY/LA right now?

Personally I wouldn't mind them doing this all the time. I know they use the NY/LA channels because they're owned/operated by the networks and it is easier, but it would be cool if they mixed them up a bit. Maybe give us NBC from NY, CBS from Washington, and then ABC from another city on the east cost and then do the same on the west.

18. raoul5788

raoul5788 Studebaker driver Staff Member HERE TO HELP YOU! Supporting Founder Lifetime Supporter

Which means I no longer, for now, have WCBS since I get it as a SV channel.

19. Clarbear

Clarbear SatelliteGuys Family

I do have unlimited data on my smartphone. I still pay for internet on it if I don't use the app.

20. zidanetribal17

zidanetribal17 Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member

That area sucks to be in as it is affected by the DirecTV-Nexstar dispute as well. While DirecTV & Dish will present a united front in saying switching providers is not the answer Meredith's WALA is advising Dish subs to switch to DirecTV while Nexstar's WKRG is advising DirecTV subs to switch to Dish. One would think Meredith & Nexstar would promote the local cable companies over DirecTV/Dish in that scenario lol.

Howard Simmons likes this.

Separate names with a comma.

More...