Hey Charlie! Superstations in HD?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
However as I have stated in every thread about this subject DISH is required to file a report twice a year showing how many customers are viewing the analog and digital versions of the superstations. If the digital versions don't count as superstations I don't know why this requirement would exist. This filing is made with the US Copyright Office and therefore indicates taht at least the Copyright office thinks thata retransmission of digital superstation is legal.

Having said that the provision in SHVERA that deals with the superstations expires in feb or March 2010 so they could end then. But it si certainly odd that congress extended authority for five years into 2010 if there were no supersatiosn in existence then. I am sorry but I just don't think that the idea that the digital versions are not superstations holds water. Besides I think that the use of the -DT call letters will disappear after Feb 2009---though I admit that I cannot find reference to this.

Here BTW is that link yet again

http://www.copyright.gov/forms/formsci.pdf Please note that the instructions make specific reference to DIGITAL SUPERSTATIONS.

If you want even more evidence you can do searches on the Federal register. You will find even more evidence of a satellite or cable company filing a report on the retransmission of digital superstations for the purpose of deterrmining copyright fees.

BTW the relevant law here is SHVERA not SHVIA and it too specifically addresses digital transmissions of the superstations.

Last edited:
Yes, one of the originals. They also own KWGN. If it was not a superstation, I could not receive this station in Paducah.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Q: Is Superstation WGN available on satellite?[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
A: In addition to cable systems throughout the U.S. and Canada, Superstation WGN is also available on DIRECTV Channel 307 at 800-DIRECTV and DISH Network Channel 239 at 888-825-2557.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Source: SuperstationWGN.com | TV

It wasa superstaion but it no longer is. it ceased to be one when the local and cable/satellite versions became different. Waht you receive outside of the Chicago DMA is simply a cable channel called WGN. it is NOT a superstation.

As I was watching my beloved Mets choke like it was September 2007 again on Sunday, I was struck by how awful the picture looked on WPIX.

I also pay for the superstations on KWGN and KTLA (WPIX and WWOR are already part of my locals in the New York DMA)....

How about giving us HD versions of the CW? Smallville and baseball are the only things drawing me there now (OK, Beauty and the Geek , too).

Any word on when they will show up? If at all?

Do what I do, I keep basic cable. I have it hooked up to the HDTV and I get the locals Plus subchannels in the clear.

That means I can watch in glorious realtime not DVR'd. The TV set where I am needs to have a tuner that can QAM.

While I think it is clear that DISh---or any other provider could provide digital or HD versions of the supers I think that they don't because it would make it somewhat more likely that local CW affiliates (and possibly some network affiliates) would call for syndex.

That isa guess on my part thouh I want to be clear on that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts