Hey D* you signed the agreement, where is my pbs hd at?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
Remember this?

The DIRECTV Group, Inc. - DIRECTV to Carry Public Television Stations in HD

DIRECTV to Carry Public Television Stations in HD

DIRECTV, Association of Public Television Stations and PBS Reach Landmark Agreement for Digital Carriage in Local Markets Across the Country Beginning Next Year
EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 19, 2007--Public Television stations across the country will soon be available in high-definition (HD) to DIRECTV customers through a landmark agreement reached today by DIRECTV, Inc., the Association of Public Television Stations (APTS) and the Public Broadcasting Service (PBS). DIRECTV viewers will have access to other Public Television content as well.
Continuing its unprecedented expansion of HD services, DIRECTV, the industry leader in HD programming, will include the local HD feeds of Public Television stations in its HD rollout plans beginning in 2008. DIRECTV currently offers local HD programming in 68 markets, representing more than 72 percent of U.S. TV households.
DIRECTV, APTS and PBS also will work together to develop new video on demand offerings to make available local and national public television programming to DIRECTV's customers anytime they want it. In addition, DIRECTV will carry two national standard-definition channels of Public Television programming, further expanding its commitment to high-quality educational programming.
"We are thrilled to be partnering with APTS and PBS to offer our customers award-winning HD programming from local Public Television stations across the country," said Chase Carey, president and CEO, DIRECTV, Inc. "This agreement is the result of a cooperative effort that will utilize innovative technology to deliver the highest quality local content to DIRECTV viewers. DIRECTV is committed to offering the best HD programming lineup available, and we are delighted to begin carrying programs of the caliber of The NewsHour, Frontline, NOVA, American Masters, the American Experience and award-winning children's programming in this visually compelling format."
APTS President & CEO John Lawson said: "This is a forward-looking, innovative agreement for the digital age. It means the great HD programming from PBS and local Public Television stations will be available to DIRECTV customers in every market where DIRECTV carries any local HD. We will also work together to make available a vast library of on demand content from local Public Television stations across the country. This is a great day for public service media in America."
"One of our foremost priorities is extending the quality content that PBS offers across the broadest range of platforms," said PBS President and CEO Paula Kerger. "We are pleased with this agreement, which enables Public Television stations to provide even better service to viewers in their communities."
The terms of the deal were unanimously approved by the APTS Board of Trustees yesterday and are pending approval by the PBS Board of Directors. The agreement must be ratified by local Public Television stations.
Information regarding the full DIRECTV HD programming lineup, which includes 87 national HD channels, and details on receiving equipment needed for the new DIRECTV HD services, are available by calling 1-800-DIRECTV or visiting directv.com.
About DIRECTV
DIRECTV, Inc. (NASDAQ:DTV), the nation's leading satellite television service provider, presents the finest television experience available to 16.6 million customers in the United States and is leading the HD revolution with 87 national HD channels - more quality HD channels than any other television provider. Each day, DIRECTV subscribers enjoy access to over 265 channels of 100% digital picture and sound, exclusive programming, industry-leading customer satisfaction (which has surpassed cable for seven years running) and superior technologies that include advanced DVR and HD-DVR services and the most state-of-the-art interactive sports packages available anywhere. For the most up-to-date information on DIRECTV, please visit directv.com.
About APTS
The Association of Public Television Stations (APTS) was established to support the continued growth and development of a strong and financially sound noncommercial television service for the American public. As broadcasters make the transition to digital, APTS is working to ensure the federal government continues its commitment to universal public television services and that those services are available across all platforms. For more information, visit www.apts.org
About PBS
PBS is a media enterprise that serves 355 public noncommercial television stations and reaches nearly 73 million people each week through on-air and online content. Bringing diverse viewpoints to television and the Internet, PBS provides high-quality documentary and dramatic entertainment, and consistently dominates the most prestigious award competitions. PBS is a leading provider of digital learning content for pre-K-12 educators and offers a broad array of other educational services. PBS' premier kids' TV programming and Web site, PBS KIDS Online (www.pbskids.org), continue to be parents' and teachers' most trusted learning environments for children. More information about PBS is available at www.pbs.org , one of the leading dot-org Web sites on the Internet.

The agreement was signed, where the heck is it at! Dont think compasity was an issue because you were testing it at one time, dont know if you still are, but roll out was supppost to begin this year. Well in 35 days the year will be up!

I will say it again.

Charlie and Chase were separated at birth and grew up to run their own sat company's. It is sad but there is not much difference between the two right now.

Except one likes to play in the courts more than the other.;)

I wonder about this line in particular:

"The terms of the deal were unanimously approved by the APTS Board of Trustees yesterday and are pending approval by the PBS Board of Directors. The agreement must be ratified by local Public Television stations."

Did THAT ever happen because I never recall seeing it mentioned if it did.

"Continuing its unprecedented expansion of HD services, DIRECTV, the industry leader in HD programming, will include the local HD feeds of Public Television stations in its HD rollout plans beginning in 2008." (underlining is mine)

There are a few (including some of the latest HD LIL rollouts) so they actually have complied with the announcement. Of course, most of us have expected much more.

So it says it will begin to include HD PBS IN THEIR ROLLOUT PLANS; starting in 2008? So did they ever get the APTS Board & the ratification by local Public Television stations or is this an ongoing process?

So it says it will begin to include HD PBS IN THEIR ROLLOUT PLANS; starting in 2008? So did they ever get the APTS Board & the ratification by local Public Television stations or is this an ongoing process?

According to this it lookes like it was a done deal for the APTS board.

DIRECTV to Carry Public Television Stations in HD

As far as the PBS board of directors approving this and it being ratified by the stations, that I cant find any info on. Regardless, Why did they even announce this if it wasnt a fully done deal.

Back to the future? :D FCC Commissioners Praise DIRECTV Deal

Majority of FCC Commissioners Commend Public Television and DIRECTV on Historic Carriage Deal
WASHINGTON—December 21, 2008—FCC Commissioners Robert McDowell, Jonathan Adelstein, and Michael Copps in separate statements praised APTS, PBS and DIRECTV for reaching a landmark agreement for digital carriage of Public Television stations across the country.
“Like the agreement PBS and APTS reached with NCTA, this deal demonstrates that programmers with compelling content will obtain carriage for their HD and multicast offerings in the marketplace,” McDowell said. "The innovative agreement also provides that the parties will work cooperatively to offer viewers a vast library of on demand content from local stations across the country.”
Adelstein and Copps agreed that the agreement was in the public interest. "I'm thrilled APTS, PBS and DirecTV reached this historic carriage agreement," Adelstein said. "PBS and local Public Television stations provide some of the most exceptional public interest programming on TV, including news, public affairs and children's programming."
Copps said: “It is about sustaining the virtues of education, civic involvement and American democracy. Although we all have much to do—and very little time—to make the digital transition a success, this agreement ensures that Public Television’s future shines brighter than ever with the opportunity for new digital educational and public affairs programming."

Back to the future? :D FCC Commissioners Praise DIRECTV Deal

Majority of FCC Commissioners Commend Public Television and DIRECTV on Historic Carriage Deal
WASHINGTON—December 21, 2008—FCC Commissioners Robert McDowell, Jonathan Adelstein, and Michael Copps in separate statements praised APTS, PBS and DIRECTV for reaching a landmark agreement for digital carriage of Public Television stations across the country.
“Like the agreement PBS and APTS reached with NCTA, this deal demonstrates that programmers with compelling content will obtain carriage for their HD and multicast offerings in the marketplace,” McDowell said. "The innovative agreement also provides that the parties will work cooperatively to offer viewers a vast library of on demand content from local stations across the country.”
Adelstein and Copps agreed that the agreement was in the public interest. "I'm thrilled APTS, PBS and DirecTV reached this historic carriage agreement," Adelstein said. "PBS and local Public Television stations provide some of the most exceptional public interest programming on TV, including news, public affairs and children's programming."
Copps said: “It is about sustaining the virtues of education, civic involvement and American democracy. Although we all have much to do—and very little time—to make the digital transition a success, this agreement ensures that Public Television’s future shines brighter than ever with the opportunity for new digital educational and public affairs programming."

How very prophetic they are.. DECEMBER 21, 2008?

From what I've read on DBSTalk the PBS HD rollout started a couple weeks ago. Some of the new markets that just went up had their local PBS in HD and a couple other markets got PBS HD added. So perhaps it's on it's way soon to other markets.

We all just need to keep calling our local PBS and DirecTV, maybe they all think most dont watch PBS HD as I see other HD locals going up first like the CW.

Cedar Rapids/Waterloo, Iowa got PBS HD last week. Other HD locals had been up since last February.

Cedar Rapids/Waterloo, Iowa got PBS HD last week. Other HD locals had been up since last February.

That makes alot of sence.. lets put up Cedar Rapids wich has a dma number of 88 and hits only .03 percent of the population instead of adding pbs hd to the big three like NYC, LA, and Chicago. Who's DMA numbers are 1,2,3 and hit a total of 14.5 percent of the population in one swing. Come on D*

Methinks they care more right now about adding stations people actually watch (NBC, Fox, etc) vs. PBS which not a whole lot of people watch. That's not a dig on PBS, just the facts.

But the fact is that they have started to add some PBS HD in the past couple weeks.

Many of the ones they have been adding are in newly added LILs, at startup. Directv has also been moving some local spotbeams around and the latest transponder maps show many of the PBS HD channels. There is a process going on here and we need to be patient a while longer (yeah, it's difficult).

Methinks they care more right now about adding stations people actually watch (NBC, Fox, etc) vs. PBS which not a whole lot of people watch. That's not a dig on PBS, just the facts.

But the fact is that they have started to add some PBS HD in the past couple weeks.

I think the issue is more of why so long after you make official announcements. Even if 1% of folks watch PBS in NYC, its more than half the max amounts in the bottom half of all DMA's. I get mine OTA so no rush from me but I did find this really bizarre.

Mixed signals

OTA here too, but would prefer HD-LIL version as my PBS tower is on the fringe of reception for me and the power is lower than the other Big 4 net's. So while I try to catch programming in HD from my local PBS, it has to be clear, calm and cool nights for me to get anything worth locking in to.

That said, my local Fox HD signal is horrible via D*. Something to do with the primary AND back-up receivers here in town. Constant audio and video drops and D* has from time to time thrown up outage messages claiming:

"No need to call us -
Your local station is working to restore their signal as soon as possible
This TV station is having technical difficulties"

And at the same time, WTAT (Fox) via OTA comes in just fine.

So which is it? Is it DirecTV's problem, or WTAT's? If I can get it via OTA, and that is how D* gets it, then it seems to me the problem is with D*.

So they are still working out some kinks almost 2 months after rolling out our Big 4. Maybe those problems are preventing them from rolling out PBS as well.

Not for nuthin But my market has 4 (four) seperate PBS stations in my locals package. Perhaps the hold up is how to provide 1 (one) HD fed for all 4 stations or maybe they are trying to get national east/west feedsinstead

Not for nuthin But my market has 4 (four) seperate PBS stations in my locals package. Perhaps the hold up is how to provide 1 (one) HD fed for all 4 stations or maybe they are trying to get national east/west feedsinstead

I recall that Directv said if there are multiple PBS stations in a DMA, they would only carry one of them in HD. I don't know how they would decide which one to carry. There are two here (both carried in SD), but only one of them has an HD signal. I can only receive the one with HD OTA, but the picture quality on the other has improved since Directv switched to picking up their digital signal last month.

I recall that Directv said if there are multiple PBS stations in a DMA, they would only carry one of them in HD. I don't know how they would decide which one to carry. There are two here (both carried in SD), but only one of them has an HD signal. I can only receive the one with HD OTA, but the picture quality on the other has improved since Directv switched to picking up their digital signal last month.

And this might be part of the hold-up. Keep in mind that PBS stations are often funded through on-air drives. Some states have state-wide PBS systems that raise funds centrally. I believe in some states that is not the case. Carriage means funding for these stations, so they are more protective than local network stations.

I am fortunate in that there are multiple PBS stations available OTA. But blaming DirecTV for this confusion alone is not appropriate. You think DMA maps are confusing? Figure out which PBS station covers every house in the US.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts