Hey DIRT (Sling Adapter)

Burgg

Original poster
Sep 24, 2011
NH
I thought I would throw this out there since you guy's/gal's seem to be able to get things done!
Just spent the last 2 freakin hrs getting my new Sling adapter to work on a PC. Had no trouble with my Droid!
I like to figure things out myself for the most part but this was not to be in this case. Used "chat" to get from point A to point B!
Started with the Dish help page. States Chrome v15 and above will work. Ahh not so fast my friend. Will not work with with live TV.......Doesn't state that tho! Ok onto firefox. Nope only works with v4&7. Been down that road before..........I refuse to have multiple versions of ANY program to get from point A to point B! Onto IE9. Again not so fast bro. Only 32b works. You have got to be kidding me. App developers work with this kind of integration all the time BUT a MAJOR corporation who interacts with millions of people can't get the job done! Imagine how many people out there right now who got an adapter for 'xmas and are totally lost. Their final conclusion - Dish Sucks! Dish does not Suck IMO. Been with them for about 4.5 yrs now and for the most part I like the service. Was with D* before this. I do kinda miss the HR250 tho. So my question to you guy's (DIRT) is .............Who the hell is doing their tech writing. I've done this type of work before and obviously no research was done for the help page. Second what is up with all the patch work integration with different browsers and Versions??? You know Dish there is a lot of talented people out there who can fix all this sh*t for a very modest price!! I just don't get it. This is what makes a company money.............ease of use for the customers! Marketing 101 for crying out loud!
By the way my background is an aircraft mech and now I am a stay at home dad. (so not trying to make some money here if that's what 'ya think)
All in all a pretty good RANT if I do say so myself.
Do what 'ya can DIRT, PLEASE!!!

Hi Burgg, I do understand the fustration with the browers compatibility for the dishonline website. We have reported these issues and they are being addressed. We are also trying to get the website information more current and complete for all our customers. I studied A&P mechanics myself and quit to be a Mom. Happy New Year to you and your family!!

Hi Burgg, I do understand the fustration with the browers compatibility for the dishonline website. We have reported these issues and they are being addressed. We are also trying to get the website information more current and complete for all our customers. I studied A&P mechanics myself and quit to be a Mom. Happy New Year to you and your family!!
Glad to hear they are working on this.
Yeah, aviation isn't what it used to be-Smart move on your part. Still want to get my pilot lic. someday.

I have used dish online on ff 6 and 7, ie9, and chrome no probs all the most recent versions. I will recommend adding your 722k to a dmz on the router too.

Btw I use ff now to watch dish online just cuz it works best.

I had trouble with DishOnlne and the Dish IOS app. The app worked okay with occational trouble accessing recordings and timers (using a VIP922 receiver). But for the most part it worked. There's a lot of delay when using the jump 30 seconds forward, or backword. Any real control things like that took longer (5+ seconds) than when using the remote in the same room as the receiver. For obvious reasons as there's network delays, etc affecting it. I pretty much gave up watching recorded shows on DishOnline. I rarely watch live TV so I'm always skipping through commercials in recordings. Using DishOnline to watch recorded shows; the skipping ahead delays where annoying.

For my PCs I installed the old version of the Slingbox Player (version 1.5). All the timing and delays I experienced are gone. I really like the fact you get the exact same screens as if you were sitting in from of the TV, instead of the GUI built into the Dishonline website. This makes it much simpler to access timers and recordings since the interface is the same. Skipping ahead in recordings takes milliseconds, not as fast as if I used the remote control sitting in the same room, but definitely MUCH faster than DishOnline has ever been.

I would recommend trying Sling's software instead of what Dish recommends. Since I have a VIP922 I can't use the latest version of their Slingplayer, but you might be able to with a 722 (only guessing).

You can get 1.5 here. Everytime I run the program I get a message telling me about a newer version but I always have it not download it since 2.x doesn't work with the VIP922.
http://download.slingmedia.com/player/pc/SlingPlayer-Setup-1.5.0.325-US.exe

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! Can't get it to run tho. entered the password I found doing the page info thing, tried my dishonline password also, no luck.

Thanks for the info! Can't get it to run tho. entered the password I found doing the page info thing, tried my dishonline password also, no luck.

You may need to setup an account on slingbox.com. If I remember right I did that first. You'll need the Sling ID and password shown from the receiver's info page. On a 922 I press menu twice to get it.

The 722 doesn't have Sling built in right? Can the OP log into their sling box and get the sling ID and password to use with Sling's software?

The Sling Adapter and SlingBox are separate products. The Sling adapter is designed to work with the ViP722/722k and does not come built into these receivers. The ViP922 is the only receiver that has Sling technology built in. The Sling Adapter does not work with the Sling stand alone player.

Clarification points...
1) Sling Adapters no longer work with current versions of Sling Standalone Player .. hence the tie to 1.5x

2) 722/k owners ... log into Dish Online ... access DVR / "My Recordings" ... right click and "view source" in the space between the icon for your DVR, and the "Refresh" button that is below it. Search/Find (CTRL F) "password" ... your sling password is after the = "equals" sign, and ends with the character before the ; (semicolon) ....

slingbox_password=XXxxxxxxXA;

in that example, the password would have been XXxxxxxxXA ... real passwords should never be posted on line, also be cautious of posting your sling box id too ...

odd thought ... anyone good with Stylish Scripts? maybe have the ability to substitute values in ... see what can be done ... ie "direct_connect=0" what happens if you set it to 1 (does it matter?) are these values handed back up or only from the top down ... Dish Down to us rather than page to page variables?

(sorry didn't get the edit done in time ... but add this to 1 & 2)

3) Browser compatibility ... Firefox shifted to "Rapid Release" and the rest of the world was told to keep up or "f" off ... Mozilla finally started pulling back a little ... the real problem isn't that v5 to v8 is so radically different ... but could be potentially ... most of what has been seen from 5 to 8 would have been minor version number updates.. but because Mozilla / Firefox is pushing major numbers to make it seem like they are with IE or Chrome .. it throws the original compatibility mechanism out ..

you can edit the incompatible file versions for firefox .... you download the plugins, add .zip at the end of the name ... open them with winzip and delete the meta-* folder, then edit the install.rdf to have a higher version. put the edited rdf back into the zip, close it, rename it back, and manually add to firefox.

that works in windows, but doesn't work in *nix, because the plugin version check, checks the OS and fail with a repeated "need to install" or "incompatible OS"

Those of us with a Sling Adapter on our 722, can we use SlingPlayer products?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)