Hey DISH, Improve Your Picture Quality

I noticed this type of an issue quite some time ago and I realized it was my router that was dropping in and out. I never noticed it until I was watching IPVOD, most likely because I never did anything for an extended period of time that would manifest my router drops. Since I replaced my router I never have issues with my IPVOD streaming quality or drops. The symptoms were the same as what is being reported here. Even though I had blazing fast speeds whenever I would test my network, it was only after long periods of extended downloading that the symptoms would manifest.

This might be my problem.. att 2wire router.

My best guess is...
they're not (always) sending 1080p at all.
Probably not. Movie I was watching wasn't 1080p at all yet I saw the sudden significant drop in pic quality. Can't explain it but fortunately I've only seen this once.

Ok maybe I'm confused here... but it seems like people in this thread are talking about two different things. The "video on demand" (VOD) movies are specially-picked movies that are pre-downloaded to the DVR. I currently see a list of 47 on Dish's website although only 25 are shown to me in my guide under channel 501 which is where you go to "rent" one. Internet speed doesn't matter. Once they're available and you "buy" one, you're streaming the content that already exists now on your DVR but wasn't unlocked until you paid. It's been a while since I bought a VOD movie but I've got some free rentals piled up so I'll be doing more soon. From what I recall, picture quality was pretty good. Dish also provides downloadable movies via "Dish On Demand". This library is in the thousands (6572 as I look now), and once you "rent" one it starts downloading to your DVR at that moment. After a while you can start watching it within "My Rentals". My experience with "HD" movies here has been that the quality is sub-SD quality. Absolutely horrible. Just which one are we talking about here? There's a significant difference between the two, and could be contributing to the confusion since I see people talking about both interchangeably in this thread as if they're they same... and they're not.

Think about it, can we *prove* they're not sending 1080p? Is it any different than Netflix saying something is in "Super HD" when it often looks like 480i?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I think we need some optometrists to start sponsoring this site.:D

Ok maybe I'm confused here... but it seems like people in this thread are talking about two different things. The "video on demand" (VOD) movies are specially-picked movies that are pre-downloaded to the DVR.

Dish calls all the different videos as Video On Demand. Regardless of if it is already on the DVR or if you stream it. Dish streamed VOD in HD (not 1080p) requires around 7mbps streaming to stay at the highest definition their streamed video can achieve. I have found best results for streaming VOD to occur if I start the movie and then press pause. Then go make popcorn or something for 10 or 15 minutes and then start the movie again. I can skip the credits and have the system not start to buffer. I have also found that Dish's streamed VOD services is highly variable in the performance it can achieve. My network is good for up to 30mbps, but at some times the dish stream will drop below 3mbps. That is their system is sending the data too slow.

My network is good for up to 30mbps, but at some times the dish stream will drop below 3mbps. That is their system is sending the data too slow.
You can't definitively say Dish's end is to blame. It could be your ISP or any point in between...

Is it not true that 1080p24 uses LESS bandwidth than 1080i30?

I believe it has to be distributed via VOD for the Dish receivers to properly decode it, i.e. the satellite tuners on these receivers cannot handle 1080p24, only 1080i30, 720p60 and 480p/I, that is my surmise, but I could be wrong, not the first nor last time.

The 1080p24 movies on Dish aren't they already on your hard drive when you play them, so band width is not an issue?

If you back the movie up to the poor quality spot, is it repeatable, meaning the copy on the HDD is flawed?

If the same spot is not of poor quality, not replicable, then our rabbit has gone the other way, you have a receiver problem or a display problem.

I watch quite a bit of HBO On Demand via Dish and this happens to me all of the time. I watched all the Sopranos episodes which are in HD. It would go up and down in picture quality somewhat frequently. It is irritating. I'm still not sure what is causing it. My Netflix quality usually stays quite high. It could be that the Dish receivers network connecting is funky, as my internet connection and router seem rock solid.

Seldom use any On Demand features, yet I have not found any fault with the PQ, of course I do not really notice any difference between 480P and 1080i on either of my sets.

I was at my parents house last week, and they had FiOS, and I was blown away by the picture quality. of course, the brand new LG LED tv helped, but it was was like why is Dish so bad?

Yeap, I've heard of FIOS from reading on the internet.... :eek: No idea if it's real or just something people make up though !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)