Hey E* - PACK THESE UNITS BETTER !!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Claude Greiner said:
Did anyone ever consider that the boxes and the foam inserts are specifically engineered so they can hold up during shipping?
There are packaging engineers that are responsible for designing this stuff, and like anything else they are forced to trade-off packaging cost with risk of damage to a certain number of units under "ordinary" shipping conditions. Perhaps my two 622s received extraordinarily rough treatment, or perhaps the "bar has moved" in terms of what the handlers will likely do in routine shipping, and thus the designers need to reexamine their expectations for ordinary handling.

Claude - I agree with your earlier statement, that if Dish ships units individually in those cartons you should be able to do the same. My complaint is with Dish, not with you or the Dish Store...

I just returned a def. 622 via RTS call tag. My main concern was whether it was insured for the $800 I was going to get charged if it was "lost". I could only add insurance if I was willing to recreate a shipping label (footing the bill for shipping and insurance myself) I spoke with Dish and they told me insurance might be a good idea, if I wanted the "piece of mind". I have a sneaky hunch the 622 I received (from Colorado) is a "refurb" as it had no accessories.

No refurbs yet on the 622's, there will be in about another 2 months, the serial number differs considerably on a ref as compared to a new one.

Referbs ala E* have a sticker on the box stating, "remanufactured" in conjunction with some numbers and letters. It is usually located on the back in the area where cables are connected.

Stargazer said:
If ANY type of package is sealed from the factory (or using the same exact materials to ship as what came from the factory) regardless of what the product is or where it came from, then that manufacturer / company is responsible for the way that the product is packaged. If someone changes the packaging from what it was when it came from the company new or does not package the item well enough if it is a used item then that person could be held responsible. UPS/FEDEX/USPS policy is that they will not pay insurance on the item if it was not packaged properly. They ask for the item and the packaging that it came in after a claim is made. If they see that it was improperly packaged then they will tell you and you will receive NO insurance settlement even if UPS/FEDEX/USPS mishandled the package.

I think that if they take your money to insure the package, they should process the claim. Otherwise they are getting a bunch of basically free money by taking the extra money for insurance and then saying it wasn't packaged correctly. Granted, this isn't as possible with business accounts who have mass pickups of pre-labeled packages, but for a standard consumer bringing a package to a UPS Store it could be done.

Additionally, if the box has a corner missing, it should be pretty obvious it didn't fall off on its own. I've had boxes in my basement for years just sitting there, and I can guarantee you I've never had a corner fallen off before!

vetteman said:
I just returned a def. 622 via RTS call tag. My main concern was whether it was insured for the $800 I was going to get charged if it was "lost". I could only add insurance if I was willing to recreate a shipping label (footing the bill for shipping and insurance myself) I spoke with Dish and they told me insurance might be a good idea, if I wanted the "piece of mind". I have a sneaky hunch the 622 I received (from Colorado) is a "refurb" as it had no accessories.
In my case I was to send it back UPS (easy for me since we ship UPS from work) and the return tag included a tracking number. Once it's in UPS's hands then I am exonerated from it being "lost", and I can actually track it to its destination. I also considered abandoning that label and shipping it myself to include the insurance, but decided to take my chances.

I did, however, double-pack it with "peanuts" to help prevent any damage like I've complained about in this thread, and to also hide the labeling on the Dish box that indicates it's a valuable piece of equipment. Also - I DEFINITELY wanted to hide that "Fragile - Handle With Care" notice on the E* box. I'm quite sure as soon as they see that, they call the American Tourister gorilla someone mentioned earlier to take care of all the rest...!

Have a great weekend, all...!

Another thought re: who's responsible ??

You, know - It now occurs to me that maybe E* is expecting to foot the bill for my shipping-damaged unit! If not, then why didn't they ask me to file a claim with UPS when I called-in to complain? Instead they are willing to process another R/A without any other action on my part. That could be in the spirit of best possible customer service (I've had no complaint in that regard thus far!) or it could be because they know they'll have a costly process to follow with UPS that may not result in a paid claim...!

Just speculation on my part, but it again ties back to the risk vs. cost business decision...

What planet do you guys live on where this is the first time you've seen something get bent or slightly mangled during shipping, especially from UPS? This isn't a white-glove plasma delivery service, this is nasty-fast paced global shipping for a very reasonable price. You gotta cut them a bit of slack (UPS I mean) and understand that they don't care about YOUR 622 like you do, to them it's just another ugly ass box in between plane rides...

The packaging could be better i'm sure, but a lot of products come in identical packaging. Did your VCR's come in super-heavy duty boxes? Did your DVD player? etc...

I understand there is a wish for perfection in the shipping process, but it's not the end of the world that some of you had to send back a 622. Just means another few weeks before you can have something REAL to complain about in a Dish Network Sub-Forum...

Maybe Dish Network is trying to make money off of insurance claims especially if they are making money off the hardware as some suggest.

Stargazer said:
Dish will realize it eventually when they start seeing that they are losing money due to faulty packing.
I am sure they know exactly how many have problems due to faulty packing and have engineered to just break even. Cost of loss (not covered by the shipper's insurance) :devil: vs cost of better packing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts