Hey Pub Members...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Nick said:
Take my remarks with a grain of salt - which is just about what they are worth.
Welcome to the fray! :)
Maybe a whole shaker would be more appropos, hehehe

Really, don't be so sensitive. We welcome your posts no matter how inane or lame <G> Diversity is what makes this place fun. If we reallly want to bash we take it to the Gripe Forum.
Remember, if we couldn't kid each other, we'd only be kidding ourselves!!

Thanks Guys. I take it, from Scott's post regarding shopping this AM, that Scott's main job is a 'computer guy'? I recall he said the satellite stuff is a hobby.

Well I for one have to agree with Bill R in that it was inappropriate for Scott to "tease" non subscribing members with priviledged information. Scott's policy is well and good, but if it is private then KEEP it private and don't even bother to talk about it in the public forums. A simple and generic "donating will get you into the private confs where you can get info sooner than non-subscribers" would have had a lot more class.

There is no disguising that this was a poor attempt at a "fund raiser".

paulcirone said:
Well I for one have to agree with Bill R in that it was inappropriate for Scott to "tease" non subscribing members with priviledged information. Scott's policy is well and good, but if it is private then KEEP it private and don't even bother to talk about it in the public forums. A simple and generic "donating will get you into the private confs where you can get info sooner than non-subscribers" would have had a lot more class.

There is no disguising that this was a poor attempt at a "fund raiser".

Again, why shouldn't paying members get first dibs on the info :?: If you don't like it, that's your perogative, but don't bemoan Scott for rewarding financial supporters with a "first look". If you can't wait a few days for the info that is published in the pub, then that's your problem. Man, do I love love Capitalism! :!:

I just got home (so much for a day off) :evil:

I am finishing my write up and hope to have it online in about an hour or so.

It's been a long day today, went to bed at 1:30 last night after doing some behind the scenes programming (and adding the snow) then my wife got me up at 4am to go Christmas shopping.

Got home from Christmas shopping and then got called into work due to a server being down. Spent almost all day there just went and ate and now I just got home.

Again so much for a day off.

BTW for those of you saying this was done as a fund raiser, I would have to disagree with you, I did it so the pub members would look in the pub section for the news. Would you believe that when I posted the news on my SuperDISH it was there for weeks before I made the news public and that news in there was only viewed by a small handfull of people.

This is not uncommon at all we did the same thing at the other place all the time.

Posting works in progress is my way of saying thanks to those who help to support the site. What those people see usually is not a finished product but a work in progress.

Anyways I need to get to work on this now so I can get it up and get to bed. :D

Scott Greczkowski said:
After a morning of shopping for the kids (my wife MADE ME get up and go shopping at 4:30 this morning argg!)

You need to tell her about this thing called the internet. ;)

Between amazon.com and all the other sites, I hardly ever have to visit the mall for the kids' xmas shopping ...

I can see what some of the guys are saying now, maybe its not about what news is posted to members in the private pub area, but that in the public non-private area there is information being posted about new news in the private pub area for supporters that is making some of the nonsupporters mad.

Stargazer said:
I can see what some of the guys are saying now, maybe its not about what news is posted to members in the private pub area, but that in the public non-private area there is information being posted about new news in the private pub area for supporters that is making some of the nonsupporters mad.

Again, who cares....It's like my child being upset because he knows there is a chocolate bar in the fridge which isn't his....deal with it...

:hammer: I completely disagree with everyone who thinks this is unfair. Any little bit helps and if you can't afford roughly the cost of a DVD then I would guess that you really don't need the information right away. We are talking about hundreds of dollars in equipment here and if you can afford that, then you can wait an extra week and donate to the site.

These guys do a lot for the community by disclosing a lot of information that other folks are just too busy or don't care to let us know. They not only have the right but the responsibility to ask for donations in any way they like. If this site closes because they can't afford to keep it open, that $20.00 is going to seem pretty insignificant.

Give up a DVD for one month, it's not going to kill you and if everyone did that every year these guys would be providing us even better information as their time would be spent getting info and reviewing products rather than defending their request for help or looking for other ways to keep the site open.

You get the information for free anyway. Either donate and help them out, or wait a couple of days. Don't attack their request for help. This information is worth way more than what they are asking.

So, it's half-way through Saturday already, Scott. Where is that secret information that you promised to post by Friday? We ordinary non-paying members want to know.

???

bbriggs said:
Sorry to have offended you, Nick. Like I said - I enjoy this site, in large part because of Scott, and I do plan to support the site to at least in part pay back. You've not disuaded me on that, but a million bucks in PayPal won't jog my memory for my password. Still, it was a waste of bandwidth to post at all - a lesson learned. I'll keep my posts to a mimimum so I don't get called 'lame' too much.

I don't know what Nick's deal is to be honest. Don't take it personal. I think he generally means well, but he can come across pretty obnoxiously as though he's an inside team member here. I tried to help someone with an HD question on "the other site" once and he lit into me on how I shouldn't ever use, "If I were you" with regards to assessing what made the most sense from my standpoint going on the information provided. He's really in no position to comment on how other people should spend their money the way he did. This is the same guy who was irate over the aquarium screensavers in Finding Nemo not being up to his standards with "more colorful and varied fish" fwiw. Always looking to pick things apart and take unwarranted pot shots at posters for no reason. Don't sweat it.

Scott,

What I don't understand about this thread is that non-pub members are in the thread reading and posting about what is fair. How can they get into this thread at all? Isn't the thread is supposed to be for supporters only?

I for one supported your site because I always looked forward to your posts on the other site and wanted to help this site be successful. The fact that you share some info to us pub members I consider a bonus and I appreciate it and support your decision to give us pub members some info before you make it public. Thanks Scott, keep up the good work.

Hey Pub Members! Quick, to the Pub! Late breaking news on the 811!

just kidding Non-Members, really ;)