Hi. About to start again in FTA reception (KU only)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kraftwerk76

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
--Hi, guys. I am about to re-start my FTA hobby. While I never had trouble setting up a receiver to pick up one satellite, I would like to "advance" to either a motorized system or get an antenna like the torioidal T90. I've asked a local DirecTV/Dish Network if he would be able to help me set up a motorized system, and he said he could. However, would it be better to instead forego the dish mover and get the Wave Frontier T90 instead? Pluses and minuses on each, please. I remember messing with a motorized system back in the day, but could never hit the full arc. Maybe only 3 or 5 satellites at most.

--Also, since it's been so long since I've messed with FTA, are there any new receivers I should be looking at? For example, are most/many feeds now in HD? Just looking for info. on receivers with various features and whatnot. Thanks for any guidance/help.

If if have been out for a few years yes you will need to grab a newer receiver. Go read THIS recent thread for receiver ideas.
You will get a lot more loss trying to use the T90. I think you will be happier with a motorized system.

Reactions: dougruss and FTA4PA
I have really evolved with KU. If you are going to do this, i'd like to make you aware of a few things.

I would highly recommend a 1.2meter dish. There isn't tons of stuff on KU, and you don't want to take another hit by missing out on some good channels. Of-course the best channels in my opinion are the ones with the lowest signal strength. Now the down side of a large dish. It's hard on the USALS motors. If you want to go that route, i would highly suggest you keep the dish in a place that is sheltered from wind. If your area is wind prone you will find that your USALS motor will wear and you will have too much play in the control arm which will directly affect your ability to pick up satellites.

I have since added many fixed 120cm and 90cm KU dishes to resolve my issues. I still have my USALS setup and I mostly keep it parked at 103w because the 90cm dish has trouble with those signals if there is cloud cover. I think next summer i will upgrade 103 to a fixed 120cm. And this is where i hope you trust me and don't touch anything less than a 120cm dish.

If you can find a wind sheltered location, and pop a 120cm with an HH120 USALS, i think you will be happy. Until the play got bad on my USALS, i was quite happy with it.

As for the Wave Frontier T90, that really intrigues me. But, i have heard that they are very hard to tune, and don't perform as well as a regular dish. With that being said, if they made a T120, i think id be all over it. But, with my 90cm issues I would suggest passing on that route.

I hope this has helped.

Reactions: Cham
I have a stationary 120cm dish on 103. Found the 90cm won't cut it, and the 1m dish I have on my HH120 is marginal (but works well in fair weather). Also some have trouble with PBS on 125W using 90cm, but mine has been reliable. Using GeosatPro dual PLL LNBFs seems to help too.
A T120 torioidal would be inviting...

Reactions: iBoston
I too am running a 90cm on 125w and have NO issues. Sometimes Montana will cut out if it's raining, but everything else on that bird holds firm.

Reactions: Cham
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts