Hi Def Pixalization on Sat 129

Grandchunk

Original poster
Mar 31, 2006
Los Angeles Area
First, thanks to everyone who posts and helps out on this site, you are all great!
I just switched from Direct normal to Dish Hi Def three weeks ago. NO problem with Direct, just thought Dish had the better programing and a more "mature" DVR. I got the 622 with the 1000 dish. I like everything about it except for the break-ups in Hi Def. I have had three tech follow-ups since the install. At first, a number of the Vooms were unwatchable, mostly from TP 6 which had a Signal of 44-45, TP 31 was 75 and the others in between. A realignment brought TP 6 up to only 50, a second call out got me to 59 for TP 6 and 90 for TP 31. From posts on this site, these are good signal strengths! Voom is now watchable with only occasional pixalizations, but should I expect none except in bad weather? I am in L.A. and we have had clear good weather all month. And the big problem was the wife's Dancing with ... and Lost on Channel 7 - lots of break-ups and she is not happy! You know what that means. So, based on what the last tech told me, and what I learned from Sat. Guys, I called Dish and requested a second Dish. To their credit, they installed a 500 two days ago. But to my surprise, there was no improvement in signal strengths and I am still getting break-ups, especially on prime time ABC, once on Dancing and three times on Lost. The signal on TP 10 is 83-85 with a clear sky. The original install kept the original coax but all the connectors were changed and the line tested. I ran my on drop with new cable but no improvement! Sorry for the long post, but to my question: Is this the best I can expect from Hi Def on Sat 129? I have three more days on my original 30 days, so I have to make a decision, go or stay for 18 months.

Grandchunk said:
First, thanks to everyone who posts and helps out on this site, you are all great!
I just switched from Direct normal to Dish Hi Def three weeks ago. NO problem with Direct, just thought Dish had the better programing and a more "mature" DVR. I got the 622 with the 1000 dish. I like everything about it except for the break-ups in Hi Def. I have had three tech follow-ups since the install. At first, a number of the Vooms were unwatchable, mostly from TP 6 which had a Signal of 44-45, TP 31 was 75 and the others in between. A realignment brought TP 6 up to only 50, a second call out got me to 59 for TP 6 and 90 for TP 31. From posts on this site, these are good signal strengths! Voom is now watchable with only occasional pixalizations, but should I expect none except in bad weather? I am in L.A. and we have had clear good weather all month. And the big problem was the wife's Dancing with ... and Lost on Channel 7 - lots of break-ups and she is not happy! You know what that means. So, based on what the last tech told me, and what I learned from Sat. Guys, I called Dish and requested a second Dish. To their credit, they installed a 500 two days ago. But to my surprise, there was no improvement in signal strengths and I am still getting break-ups, especially on prime time ABC, once on Dancing and three times on Lost. The signal on TP 10 is 83-85 with a clear sky. The original install kept the original coax but all the connectors were changed and the line tested. I ran my on drop with new cable but no improvement! Sorry for the long post, but to my question: Is this the best I can expect from Hi Def on Sat 129? I have three more days on my original 30 days, so I have to make a decision, go or stay for 18 months.
Dish has had a problem with HD locals for some time and it may be the mpeg4 issue they are still experimenting with. In L.A., with a separate Dish for 129, you should have a signal strength range of 68-88, with most in the 75-80 range. There are problems with the 129 satellite wobble, but you seem to have more problems with locals than the other HD channels and that's not a signal problem. I believe it is because most of the other channels are mpeg2, which was the standard HD. I have OTA on my Voom receiver, so I often watch that when the locals start pixelating.

In summary, I would try to get my lowest signal up to 68 and that should eliminate any signal strength problems. Unfortunately, you will probably have to wait for Dish to get their mpeg4 working properly to get your locals fixed.

Last edited:
You can disable the hi-def locals from the mapdowned version(ch 7, 14, ect). If you set them to standard def, it should fix the stuttering issue, only if you want to though...I would recommend getting the ota antenna if you really want them in hd.

retexan599 said:
I posted my recent experience with Sat 129 in another thread here:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=79291

I am in Houston, so not sure the data is comparable. I am somewhat reluctant to have my rooftop dish realigned for fear of losing ground on my Sat 110 and 119 signals; should that be a concern?
No.

110 & 119 have strong signals. You should get the highest signal possible on 129. The signal on 110 and 119 should still be high enoughif you do so.

The problem is it is difficult to get all 3 on one dish (1000). You would be better off getting a dish 500 for 129 or getting the 61.5 instead, if you don't have local HD's on 129.