Hi, I'm new here, and I have one HD question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

EscapeRocks

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
Hi all.

New to this forum. Just bought a new HTL-HD. Cool unit. I've had DirecTv since there's been a DirecTv :)

Anyway, once I get the rest of my wires from the new dish pulled, and finish playing in the attic and get my HD active: Do I understand correectly that I will be able to receive the national network HD feeds on my dish since I'm in the Dallas area?

Thank in advance!

David

You will have to call Directv and see if you qualify for the CBS HDs. If you do, they will cost a small fee (i think $1.75 for one or $2.50 for both or something).

All the other locals, NBC, ABC, FOX, will be your regualr locals. Directv does not at this moment offer other distant networks in HD (i think someone may correct me here).

Are you within range for a OTA antenna? Check out antennasweb.org to find out what type of OTA unit you will need.

You will get the CBS-HD (satellite version) free if you have the HD Package (free right now to many).

Check your location on antennaweb.com like the previous poster said and you will discover what feeds are close to you. You want to see some yellows and greens on the chart I think, though I think if you have some of the less "ease of reception" colors you can still pick up the stations.

Thanks much for the answers. Most of my OTA station are in the "green" category, with one (abc) in the red. I'm going to work on that part of the system once I get done with the satelite part.

Again, thanks for the answers!

veander said:
You will get the CBS-HD (satellite version) free if you have the HD Package (free right now to many).

I get the HD package and I don't get CBS HD. I have asked Directv to ask for a wavier on my behalf and suposedly they sent the proper papers in but takes up to 45 days to process. So far nothing in 3 weeks.

Lem52

Lem52 said:
I get the HD package and I don't get CBS HD. I have asked Directv to ask for a wavier on my behalf and suposedly they sent the proper papers in but takes up to 45 days to process. So far nothing in 3 weeks.

Lem52
Are you serviced by WLKY? I only ask because I contacted them on behalf of someone here like a month ago, this is what I got:

WLKY does not issue waivers for HD reception at this time.

Thank you for your interest in WLKY

James C. Mercer
Chief Engineer
WLKY TV

In cases like these, you should contact CBS directly and have corporate hammer the affiliate into compliance.

EscapeRocks: trying contacting your local CBS stations ... mine gave me no problems

Yeah, WLKY really blows. They are the reason I can't get CBS-HD over Directv.

In the Dallas area (my native area) you should be able to get both CBS-HD and NBC-HD on Directv. They are both O&O which is what you need to automatically get those channels.

Just to show that 'Your Mileage May Vary'. I had D* submit waiver requests when I switched over from Pegasus, from whom I had CBS, NBC, and Fox.
Within 5 days, my CBS affiliate said OK. I'm still waiting on the others (almost 30 days now).
This is the only issue I had with the switchover fro Pegasus, that the waivers couldn't be sent over from Peg.
PS: I can usually get locked on to FOX-HD and ABC-HD, OTA, but it's hit and miss sometime. I'm hoping that my local ABC keeps up the power for MNF this season.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts