HIC preffered method of internet connectivity for TV Everywhere

rjruby

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Sep 13, 2003
Nazareth, PA
I am planning to purchase and install a 2 Hopper with Sling/1 Joey system.

I was planning on connecting one of the Hoppers directly to my cable modem/router for internet connectivity as per option #1 on the attached document.

View attachment HopperJoeySystem_Connectivity_JobAid.pdf

However, according this document, options 2 & 4 state that installing a Hopper Internet Connector (HIC) is the preferred method of internet connectivity if the customer wants to use TV Everywhere although option #1 states that it provides the least degradation to bandwidth for TV Everywhere.

Any guidance as to whether I need a HIC or not would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Bob

Either HIC or Cat5 w/bridging is fine. I would definitely insist on one of these wired options for best performance and least headache.

Between the two, I would just go with whichever is easiest to implement and not give it another thought.

If using Cat5 means putting a switch in at the TV location vs having a HIC stashed in a closet, or other out of the way place, then I'd go with a HIC. Less wire/clutter at the TV would be an easy win for me - not to mention you'd have to buy a switch, but Dish should provide the HIC.

I just had a 2 Hopper install done. One with Sling, one without.

I'm using the wireless networking on the Hopper with Sling and have bridging enabled and have no problem with TV Everywhere at all.

Either HIC or Cat5 w/bridging is fine. I would definitely insist on one of these wired options for best performance and least headache.

Between the two, I would just go with whichever is easiest to implement and not give it another thought.

If using Cat5 means putting a switch in at the TV location vs having a HIC stashed in a closet, or other out of the way place, then I'd go with a HIC. Less wire/clutter at the TV would be an easy win for me - not to mention you'd have to buy a switch, but Dish should provide the HIC.
I wholeheartedly agree. My router is on the opposite end of the house from my Hopper so it was much easier for me to run a wire from a HIC down to the node in the basement than it would have been to the Hopper.

Depends on logistics, expertise and convenience. I prefer hardwired stuff, call it old school what ever. If you're handy running a wire could be an option, for most the wireless option seems to be a nominal choice and relatively functional.

Thanks for all your feedback.

One of the Hoppers would be located only about 4 feet from my cable modem/router so I'll connect the two together with a Cat6 cable.

I also prefer hardwiring. I've run all wiring in the house myself to connect my network devices.

My home has Wired Cat5E at all Hopper and Joey locations. Some rooms have multiple outlets. Would there be any advantage to getting rid of the HIC ? I do like the fact that the HIC freed up a lot of the outlets and I dont need to use CAT5E jumpers. Note: My Modem,Router/Switch, HIC are all centrally located in my attic. DSC_0237.JPG

Would there be any advantage to getting rid of the HIC ?
only if you're experiencing problems with connectivity. Otherwise leave it. Either method of hardwiring is fine.

Even if you connected via ethernet, we would only recommend connecting one hopper and then enabling bridging.

In another similar thread a poster, I think correctly, noted that even if a Hopper can be wired to the router, a HIC install would be preferable since it would offload the DHCP and routing tasks from the Hopper. It was also noted that the Hoppers have been slowing down as more apps are added during updates so keeping the networking burden off of them would be good in the long run.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts